Mother posts video of sons motorbike death

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    I feel quite bad for the driver who got the community order and banned from driving etc., that bike was going far too fast. It probably looked clear to turn with the bike being that far away, obviously not realising that he was going so fast. I'm sure the driver feels guilty enough about the incident as it is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Christ that was so hard to watch. Poor mum. She is one brave lady. Youngest son is talking about buying a motorbike. Been trying to talk him out of it. This video might just do the trick. :(
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just glad he didn't take some other poor sod with him. No sympathy at all. Feel sorry for his mum and the rest of the family. though

As to whether the car driver should have realised how fast the bike was going ... well, maybe. But even if he should, that was a mistake. But driving at 97mph on any road, never mind a single carriageway, is NOT a mistake. It is a conscious decision :o
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I once witnessed an accident which occurred exactly like this one on the A62 Leek - Ashbourne road, known for it's lengthy straights. I was on the opposite side of a staggered X road when the car on the other side pulled out.....and there was one hell of an almighty bang.

Biker slammed straight into the side of the car and the rider rocketed off some yards down the road. Amazingly he lived but was badly injured.

The car driver admitted he never saw him......neither did i until he went into the car. God alone knows what speed he was doing as only a few seconds before, the road had been totally clear.

Strange that the lads mother asked on the video for motorists to slow down (what speed was the car doing...10-15mph?)......but no call for bikers to slow down which i would have thought to be the paramount message.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »

Lol@the bit where she says motorists slow down. Your son was doing 97mph at the time love!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    I once witnessed an accident which occurred exactly like this one on the A62 Leek - Ashbourne road, known for it's lengthy straights. I was on the opposite side of a staggered X road when the car on the other side pulled out.....and there was one hell of an almighty bang.

Biker slammed straight into the side of the car and the rider rocketed off some yards down the road. Amazingly he lived but was badly injured.

The car driver admitted he never saw him......neither did i until he went into the car. God alone knows what speed he was doing as only a few seconds before, the road had been totally clear.

Strange that the lads mother asked on the video for motorists to slow down (what speed was the car doing...10-15mph?)......but no call for bikers to slow down which i would have thought to be the paramount message.

Exactly!
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before watching the video I had sympathy for the biker but after seeing how stupidly fast he was going I have none. It was entirely his fault and the car driver should not have been punished for someone else's stupidity that could have killed someone else.
  • tim_smithtim_smith Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I regularly ride pillion on bike going faster than that, (I am a girl) and I love speed. The video is horrific and whilst my sympathies go out to his family, it won't stop me, or my partner, I am afraid.

I love biking and the thrill of going fast is part of it for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim_smith wrote: »
    I regularly ride pillion on bike going faster than that, (I am a girl) and I love speed. The video is horrific and whilst my sympathies go out to his family, it won't stop me, or my partner, I am afraid.

Up to you. but have some consideration for other road users!!!>:(
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Can't argue with that. I guess it's up to the police to catch him and take his license before he kills anybody, and if I turn across your path I wish you all the best. Hopefully my big metal car will protect me
  • Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    Before watching the video I had sympathy for the biker but after seeing how stupidly fast he was going I have none. It was entirely his fault and the car driver should not have been punished for someone else's stupidity that could have killed someone else.

I quite agree. At 97mph the rider has no one to blame but himself. His actions have resulted in him dying, his family losing him and terrible, life long trauma being endured by the car driver and any witnesses. The driver probably pled guilty because he 'felt' guilty. That doesn't mean he was. At that speed I'm amazed no one else died.

Just imagine, if he'd been going at 97mph and had hit a padestrian, who would you have sympathy for him then? His actions were reckless. His death a terrible waste. But the blame lies firmly with him.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ever thought of taking that 'love' and 'thrill' to a track instead of a road? There tends not to be much in the way of oncoming traffic including other bikes, on tracks.

Just a thought.
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can kind of understand that - the thrill and the potential danger. Not my thing but I can see where that would come from.

But what about if YOUR thrill seeking causes the death of other people. Maybe leaves small children orphaned. Or even kills small children.

Do you really not ever consider that ?
  • cat's whiskascat's whiskas Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well, it's VERY likely that you and your mate will kill yourselves and quite possibly kill other people at the same time. Driving at those sorts of speeds on those sorts of roads is just plain stupidity.
  • Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    what about if YOUR thrill seeking causes the death of other people. Maybe leaves small children orphaned. Or even kills small children.

Do you really not ever consider that ?

Exactly. It seems an incredibly selfish attitude.
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol@the bit where she says motorists slow down. Your son was doing 97mph at the time love!

I thought it was a general warning to all road users rather than car drivers specifically seeing as she did acknowledge he was speeding at the start of the clip, probably would have been more clear to say road users or something.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just glad he didn't take some other poor sod with him. No sympathy at all. Feel sorry for his mum and the rest of the family. though

As to whether the car driver should have realised how fast the bike was going ... well, maybe. But even if he should, that was a mistake. But driving at 97mph on any road, never mind a single carriageway, is NOT a mistake. It is a conscious decision :o

This post is probably closest to how I feel.

I live in a rural area and I regularly have to cross a very straight main road via a staggered crossroads. I sit there for ages waiting to cross safely so I can turn right and visibility is very good. It's just you're waiting for a gap in the traffic. Sometimes I see a spec of a car in the distance and and pull out and by the time I've turned right I have a car hurtling towards me at maybe 90 mph. They must see me in the distance but make no attempt to slow down at all and show some consideration.
  • jacquelineannejacquelineanne Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the video on the news and it looked like he was steering with one hand.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How would you feel though if you killed someone? I'd stick to racetracks if I were you.
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Safi74 wrote: »
    I quite agree. At 97mph the rider has no one to blame but himself. His actions have resulted in him dying, his family losing him and terrible, life long trauma being endured by the car driver and any witnesses. The driver probably pled guilty because he 'felt' guilty. That doesn't mean he was. At that speed I'm amazed no one else died.

Just imagine, if he'd been going at 97mph and had hit a padestrian, who would you have sympathy for him then? His actions were reckless. His death a terrible waste. But the blame lies firmly with him.

Funnily enough I just said to my wife that the driver probably only pled guilty because he felt bad.

Looking at how much damage was done to the front of the car just imagine what would have happened had he gone straight into the drivers door, the driver would undoubtedly have died as well.
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    As a former biker myself, I can see this from both sides.

Cars would frequently pull out of junctions in front of me regardless of what speed I was doing. People simply don't see bikes for whatever reason. I sometimes don't see them myself when I'm driving my car.

I think it's the fact that people are subconsciously expecting to see cars, so motorbikes kind of take them by surprise, and often when it's too late.

When I was on a long stretch of straight road on the bike, I always made a point of slowing right down when I was approaching a junction on either side - especially if there were cars there waiting to pull out. As a biker, you just have to use a bit of common sense and also ride with a little fear in you. Sure, I used to ride fast like this guy, but I always had my vulnerability in my mind.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was horrible.

Doing that speed on a road like that with all the traffic looked absolutely terrifying as you have no protection on a bike. How can you feel safe when riding like that, total recklessness and an accident just waiting to happen.

5 seconds before he hit the car whilst overtaking he only had his right hand on the handlebars.
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    I don't think the judge is fair in saying the driver caused the death. Had the biker been doing 30mph say, the drivers actions would very unlikely have ended in death.

Absolutely the driver should have checked more carefully, although I would argue that is perhaps difficult to judge the oncoming speed of a smaller to see vehicle and yes his actions did lead to the bikers death. But I absolutely believe the biker was also at massive fault, nearly 100mph is stupid and bloody dangerous. Both are at fault and I think it's harsh to lump most of the blame on the driver.

What if say, a person had been crossing the road, he swerved and had died, would the pedestrian be punished harshly?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

Well, just so long as you don't take anyone else out due to your selfish stupidity that's okay by me.
  • charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Here's hoping that if you do have an accident, then it's only you and your partner who get hurt, and not an innocent motorist or pedestrian.

As for David and his family, I'm truly sorry that he lost his life, :( but he was travelling way, way too fast.