Manchester - Local Freeview Multiplex - Information Thread

Comments

• GreeboGreebo Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like all 3 petals can be considered to be live now - this afternoon Ed Hall tweeted:
    Nearly 2.4 million new homes added to the #localtv multiplex this afternoon. Great work up the scary big mast at Winter Hill.

( https://twitter.com/hall_ed/status/459326145574760448 )
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here in Dukinfield (East Manchester) I'm getting:

on ch57:

50 Movies for Men low strength good q
    53 LAMHE low strength good q
    56 Capital low strength good q
    60 Fire Hit low strength good q
    62 Heart TV low strength good q

and on ch56:

64 Bonanza bonanza good strength good q.
    75 POP good strength good q.

All very interesting but do we really need more relentless music video channels and deadly old TV westerns etc?:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    I was going to report in the "Freeview ChangeLog" that BonanzaBonanza had ceased broadcasting this morning, but somebody beat me to it.
    I did an autotune on my TV yesterday (Manchester, Winter Hill) but it was not found until I did a Manual search of ch56.
    Some old Lucille Ball show was on.
    I just checked LCN 64 this morning and there is just a message on screen saying "End of service".
    This is also displayed in the EPG until 6pm today after which it is empty.
    The info button displays "This service is no longer available"
    The shortest lifetime of any channel on my TV.
    If anyone noticed that Flash Gordon was on but did not see it, it was not the famous old Buster Crabbe films but a more recent series from 1954 as a West German, French and American co-production.
    see
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_Gordon_%281954_TV_series%29
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pop is still on but these are only test transmissions, The Lucy show at 500% colour with the colour shifted to the right was a sight to behold. By the way, retuning is usually a bad idea because if something just goes off air for a short period of time and you retune, you will wipe your TVs memory of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    POP +1 has appeared on LCN 76 - no video or audio PIDs in place yet but the LCN is there.

Also Heart TV has moved from LCN 62 to LCN 54.

Changes happened just before 9:30 this morning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Audio and Video PIDs appeared around 2pm, POP +1 is now running.

I notice neither POP nor POP+1 can handle 4:3 content properly, both are appearing in stretchyvision so they aren't flagging it correctly - though as I write this both have now changed to 16:9 programming so the fault isn't currently visible.
  • epsilonepsilon Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greebo wrote: »
    Also Heart TV has moved from LCN 62 to LCN 54.

As LCNs 51 and 52 are available in Manchester it is strange that they haven't used these before 54. The regional channels now appear to be given unique LCNs rather than sharing the LCNs between regions.
    I notice neither POP nor POP+1 can handle 4:3 content properly, both are appearing in stretchyvision so they aren't flagging it correctly...

Something ITV's main channel also seems to do quite frequently in the Yorkshire region. Both on Freeview and cable but not necessarily at the same time!!! :o
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    epsilon wrote: »
    As LCNs 51 and 52 are available in Manchester it is strange that they haven't used these before 54. The regional channels now appear to be given unique LCNs rather than sharing the LCNs between regions.

Maybe they gave a choice - either move Heart and Capital to 51 & 52, or move Heart to 54 - and they opted for moving Heart to 54 because they are considering taking the channels national?
  • epsilonepsilon Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    Maybe they gave a choice - either move Heart and Capital to 51 & 52, or move Heart to 54 - and they opted for moving Heart to 54 because they are considering taking the channels national?

Who knows? That would set a dangerous precedent for dozens of small, part time, channels to launch, relatively cheaply, on the Manchester mux simply to reserve LCN slots because they may "consider" launching nationally at some point.
  • markmagmarkmag Posts: 3,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Fire Hit TV still broadcasting? Just wondered with the sister Bournemouth radio station under new ownership (but still called fire) if the Manchester TV station was still around or not.
  • fishywikfishywik Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    markmag wrote: »
    Is Fire Hit TV still broadcasting? Just wondered with the sister Bournemouth radio station under new ownership (but still called fire) if the Manchester TV station was still around or not.

Yes, FIRE HIT TV still broadcasting on LCN 60 from Winter Hill
  • markmagmarkmag Posts: 3,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers fishywik, guess its the radio station more likely to change it's name than the TV then.
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    I thought only the radio station had been sold; other parts of the business were retained?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any news of a start date for Your TV Manchester (nothing on their web page). UK Free Tv says October and one Wiki page says January, or is it going to fail before it starts like Birmingham?
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    Any news of a start date for Your TV Manchester (nothing on their web page). UK Free Tv says October and one Wiki page says January, or is it going to fail before it starts like Birmingham?

I saw one the other day. I think it said "before February", which isn't necessarily helpful.
  • RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,943
    Forum Member

Well, under the terms of the original licence award it has to launch no later than 4 February 2015.

What I find surprising is how hard it is to find any stories anywhere about many of the forthcoming stations (City TV in Birmingham being the main exception to that rule) that don't simply date back to when the licences were originally awarded. Their websites are pretty useless in terms of charting any meaningful progress towards launch as well and many seem to have been neglected for some time.

Ambitious launch dates have drifted into history (Your TV Manchester anticipated 1 October 2013 in their application!) and the initial hoopla has well and truly disappeared. The nearer these stations get to the two year deadline the more you wonder what the reality for them, both in terms of required financial backing and otherwise, is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks to both of you for the information, we will have to wait and see.
  • marria01marria01 Posts: 437
    Forum Member

If you'd read their licence proposal (I'm assuming you haven't), you wouldn't be asking this question. I think anyone willing to financially back Your TV Manchester would need their heads examining. They make the Birmingham lot look sane by comparison.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marria01 wrote: »
    If you'd read their licence proposal (I'm assuming you haven't), you wouldn't be asking this question. I think anyone willing to financially back Your TV Manchester would need their heads examining. They make the Birmingham lot look sane by comparison.

No I haven't, what you say is very interesting, thanks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chart Show TV seems to have been moved to the G_MAN mux today. LCN 67 has gone from the L_muxes and appeared on G_MAN. PIDs are in place for the full 6 services on the mux again.

EPG data is reported by mediainfo as follows "UTC 2014-09-08 05:00:00 : en:Coming Soon / en:Chart Show TV will be back live to Manchester viewers only on 8th September 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, with our famous Top 40 singles chart, interviews and much much more. / undefined / / 12:00:00 / Running".

I'm not in the area to actually check on a TV. That's about the limit of what I can do remotely. Can anyone confirm if it is actually up and running?
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the rest of us have to lose out then? >:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    No I haven't, what you say is very interesting, thanks.

As much as I think they're out-to-lunch and will never launch, this recent article shows that at least something is going on:

Here
  • marria01marria01 Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    As much as I think they're out-to-lunch and will never launch, this recent article shows that at least something is going on:

Here
    Currently, his small team was working remotely on schedule design and programme infrastructure.

That's just sounds like waffle to me. But I suppose only time will tell, he's got until February to get his stuff together.
  • pck1967pck1967 Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Chart Show TV seems to have been moved to the G_MAN mux today. LCN 67 has gone from the L_muxes and appeared on G_MAN. PIDs are in place for the full 6 services on the mux again.

EPG data is reported by mediainfo as follows "UTC 2014-09-08 05:00:00 : en:Coming Soon / en:Chart Show TV will be back live to Manchester viewers only on 8th September 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, with our famous Top 40 singles chart, interviews and much much more. / undefined / / 12:00:00 / Running".

I'm not in the area to actually check on a TV. That's about the limit of what I can do remotely. Can anyone confirm if it is actually up and running?

Yes Chart Show TV is now Ch 67, showing coming soon on info bar, but channel is up and running.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks like LAMHE has been removed from G_MAN, and replaced with POP+1. POP+1 was on the SDN mux, but appears to have now become Tiny Pop.

I'm not in the NW today to confirm this with a TV, this is just remotely from a tvcard. If anyone else wants to confirm it properly and post to the changelog (linking discussion back to this thread) feel free.