Fish! A Japanese Obssession : BBC4 : 11.10pm

Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A heads up for any koi-keepers out there like me, this might be of interest.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    It's a repeat doghouse but one well worth watching as it is very, very interesting. I will be recording it to watch again:)
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a repeat doghouse but one well worth watching as it is very, very interesting. I will be recording it to watch again:)

Thanks for that,
    I've kept koi for 25 years, I'm not fanatical about them, some are, it's a "malaise" I've never recognised in any other hobby. So "obsession" is not far from the truth in some cases. For us they're just one element of our garden.
    The technology of the filtration has changed a lot since we got into it.
    I like to think I know a lot about the hobby, but the techniques are always evolving and there's always something new to learn.
  • ganderpoke66ganderpoke66 Posts: 2,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So nothing to do with the Japanese obsession for plundering the sea till they have killed and eaten every last living creature then ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So nothing to do with the Japanese obsession for plundering the sea till they have killed and eaten every last living creature then ?

To whom are you directing this question?

Just from the title, I suspect it will include fishing for food,
    Koi though, aren't particularly good to eat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member

It does cover that element of the Japanese love of fish too.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've set my PVR to record this because I thought it might be about the Japanese diet as well. The Japanese eat very healthily.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe the Japanese eat raw fish while the fish is still alive and moving. That would make me feel so uncomfortable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For koi enthusiasts there was not much content, although the transfer of those huge koi from the mud ponds to more clinical and controlled set-ups for the winter was quite interesting.
    A huge open tank on the back of a lorry, with two large air cylinders strapped to the back of the cab to oxygenate the water during their transfer.
    The bottom has really dropped out of the big koi market and anyway most enthusiasts like to buy small and grow them on.
    In the right conditions they grow quite quickly.

But an otherwise interesting and diverse programme.