The Saturdays trying to break America

Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I see they've been given their own reality show on E! Good for them, but wouldn't it have been a better idea to have cracked the UK properly first? They've never been that big really have they, and all of their material is pretty forgettable.

They are to girl bands what The Wanted are to boy bands. Dull, bland and completely boring. Why are they even bothering trying to crack America at all? It's never gonna happen!

Comments

• kieranyeah123kieranyeah123 Posts: 1,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've done alright here to be fair. I think they'll do well in the US, not as well as Little Mix though.
  • elgransenor1elgransenor1 Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    never got a number one despite being given every opportunity to do so.

used to quite like them now but horribly overexposed, also only one of them (vanessa) can really sing. to hear mollie or frankie sing is quite embarrasing.
  • garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    Good luck to them, they've certaining lasted longer and had more hits then some recent girlbands. They're quite established in the UK despite a lack of #1s so no real need to crack the uk
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    never got a number one despite being given every opportunity to do so.

used to quite like them now but horribly overexposed, also only one of them (vanessa) can really sing. to hear mollie or frankie sing is quite embarrasing.

Correct. Daily Mail pushing them the most though... they better hope to get some success soon, otherwise they're dead in the water when the media loses interest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,204
    Forum Member
    Seems like a big risk, to concentrate on the US when there is now competion in their original market (Little Mix, Stooshe). I like the saturdays but a lot of their fame is from hype about their looks etc rather than their music. For example I buy their singles or individual songs but not full albums if I like them. Their single sales are alright in the UK but their album sales aren't great, a lot of the money they make seems to come from endorsements and things.
  • chuck_wipplchuck_wippl Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    garyessex wrote: »
    Good luck to them, they've certaining lasted longer and had more hits then some recent girlbands. They're quite established in the UK despite a lack of #1s so no real need to crack the uk

See but I think they've only lasted so long due to the SclubJuniors former members (Frankie and Rochelle) being in the group.

I think someone is quite clearly determined to get their moneys worth, from all the money and time that's been ploughed into them over the years. Even though if it were any other girl group without these 2 "big" names, they would have been droppped yonks ago.

Their sales are distinctly average. And that's being generous! They're all getting a bit old now (in pop group terms) and 2 of them are mothers!! Not really going to ever bring in the desired fans, is it?

Not saying you can't be successful over the age of 25 (look at PCD!) or can't be successful with kids (Adele) but these 2 examples are leagues away from the Sats. The Sats are just a throwaway puppet pop group :yawn:

I think the men upstairs should just cut their losse and start over with a new girl group.
  • COTTONHEATCOTTONHEAT Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    America have recently found there own Version of the Saturdays on the X Factor USA Called Fifth Harmony
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've done alright here to be fair. I think they'll do well in the US, not as well as Little Mix though.

I wouldn't even say "alright" to be honest. They haven't even scored a number 1 and one of their tracks was sitting outside the top 70 just three weeks after it's release.

They are simply a rip-of Girls Aloud personally.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't even say "alright" to be honest. They haven't even scored a number 1 and one of their tracks was sitting outside the top 70 just three weeks after it's release.

They are simply a rip-of Girls Aloud personally.

11/13 top ten singles is pretty good. They've had consistant success since 2008 which is pretty good considering how quickly artists fade in popularity (Tinchy Stryder, Dizzee Rascal, September, Duffy, Ting Tings, Leona Lewis, Alexandra Burke, Nelly Furtardo etc). Not many artists can still secure top ten singles five years into their career, never mind a girl band with no real support behind them (little airplay, no X-Factor or Britains Got Talent, no media scandals).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ain't gonna happen. Give it up, girls.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ain't gonna happen. Give it up, girls.

This.

They are mentally insane if they or their managers/agents even think they can attempt to break America.

For a start they aren't even that big over here.

They are dull.

Whilst they have had some decent songs, they haven't been that brilliant because they haven't even had a No.1 single.

X Factor or Britain's Got Talent aren't even signing them to appear as guests so from all of the above, they should be thankful that they still feature in the odd music channel.

This is the most ridiculous story/thread I have read today!
  • Souffle GirlSouffle Girl Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    They absolutely stink of desperation and have done for a few years now. It's so, so off-puttting. Their latest album was awful too. I liked their previous efforts but have been disappointed and annoyed by them for quite some time now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They absolutely stink of desperation and have done for a few years now. It's so, so off-puttting. Their latest album was awful too. I liked their previous efforts but have been disappointed and annoyed by them for quite some time now.

I still cringe at their debut single and the video ~shudder~
  • Souffle GirlSouffle Girl Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    I still cringe at their debut single and the video ~shudder~

I went off them when they were actively campaigning for number one during the release of Missing You. It was ridiculous. If people want to buy someone's music they will...I don't know what they were thinking, and they've still not calmed down in their relentless overexposure a few years later. I can't believe more people haven't gone off them. For me there is nothing worse than this level of desperation (although I can't think of any other music act who has reached SUCH an extreme level of it apart from the Saturdays).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    They had an interview in last week's You magazine & it was so off-putting. I can't put my finger on it but it was so...lame. It all seemed so desperate, as if they were just starting out. All this 'we finish each other's sentences' stuff just made me :rolleyes:
    They had one good tune (All Fired Up)- everything else is just dirge.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love a lot of their music but there hasn't been that one big song that most very successful artists have. One song that defines them and makes them stand out.