Options

Local TV test transmission today

Comments

• Options
    copiermancopierman Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    I wonder if Comux will put a test card out on the multiplex now that it's powered up from Sutton Coldfield rather than that boring b&w screen. They must have something at their new National control center in Birmingham they can give us?
    Come on let's have a bit of colour..
    As word gets out and the dealers tune in it would be nice if you tried. Or is there some weird Ofcom regulation stopping you?;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    copierman wrote: »
    I wonder if Comux will put a test card out on the multiplex now that it's powered up from Sutton Coldfield rather than that boring b&w screen. They must have something at their new National control center in Birmingham they can give us?
    Come on let's have a bit of colour..
    As word gets out and the dealers tune in it would be nice if you tried. Or is there some weird Ofcom regulation stopping you?;)

Tweeted reply from Comux uk..... Coming soon:)
  • Options
    gwrbristolgwrbristol Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ive got the local tv tests on 791/2 here in Bristol.
  • Options
    hartcliffehartcliffe Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    i got nothing on ilchester crescent bristol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im on Mendip. Although I thought Mendip was after xmas. Oddly its only one freeview box that's picked up these channels, the others have not updated even with a rescan.
  • Options
    BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm on Mendip too, but here in Taunton the signal barely registers and I can't get a lock on it to tune in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bizman wrote: »
    I'm on Mendip too, but here in Taunton the signal barely registers and I can't get a lock on it to tune in.

But Taunton isn't getting local tv is it? They are using a narrow beam from mendip that just covers Bristol so it will not over the area like htv does.
  • Options
    BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I realise that, but there's always someone that wants to know how far it can be received. I just looked out of curiosity.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Humax PVR is showing a signal of 73% with 0% quality on UHF 57, the channel for Mustard TV in Norwich - however I know there's some long distance reception being reported today and I'm getting a lot more of Sudbury than I normally get. Nevertheless 73% is very high and roughly what the old pre-DSO channels were giving on the same aerial. Is anyone else in range of Tacolneston who can determine if this is a test from there or just a freak reception of something further afield?

This mux is due to go into service at the end of January.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wonder if the big Freeview retune event due on December 10th will also bring the local TV multiplexes now testing onto the logical ch8 position on the guide from their tempory 791 position?;)
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    I wonder if the big Freeview retune event due on December 10th will also bring the local TV multiplexes now testing onto the logical ch8 position on the guide from their tempory 791 position?;)

Channels 791 and 792 won't go to channel 8.

As shown in Lincs/E York last week, the local TV service appears on 793 before moving to channel 8.

Channels 791 and 792 are for the two additional Freeview channels that will be carried on the local TV multiplex alongside the local TV channel. The income from carrying two channels in the spare bandwidth will help fund the transmission costs of local TV stations on Freeview.

It's possible that 791/792 could go live in areas where the local TV station hasn't yet launched, but where the multiplex is already transmitting. If they started broadcasting a regular programme, then they would move into the relevant section of the Freeview EPG, but not channel 8.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Spot wrote: »
    My Humax PVR is showing a signal of 73% with 0% quality on UHF 57, the channel for Mustard TV in Norwich - however I know there's some long distance reception being reported today and I'm getting a lot more of Sudbury than I normally get. Nevertheless 73% is very high and roughly what the old pre-DSO channels were giving on the same aerial. Is anyone else in range of Tacolneston who can determine if this is a test from there or just a freak reception of something further afield?

This mux is due to go into service at the end of January.
    Seen confirmation on Twitter that the local TV mux is testing from Tacolneston - but "empty" at the moment.
  • Options
    Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tweeted reply from Comux uk..... Coming soon:)

Wouldn't broadcast of video (even if colour bars) constitute the start of the licence period? Maybe something regulatory to avoid?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    a516 wrote: »
    Channels 791 and 792 won't go to channel 8.

As shown in Lincs/E York last week, the local TV service appears on 793 before moving to channel 8.

Channels 791 and 792 are for the two additional Freeview channels that will be carried on the local TV multiplex alongside the local TV channel. The income from carrying two channels in the spare bandwidth will help fund the transmission costs of local TV stations on Freeview.

It's possible that 791/792 could go live in areas where the local TV station hasn't yet launched, but where the multiplex is already transmitting. If they started broadcasting a regular programme, then they would move into the relevant section of the Freeview EPG, but not channel 8.

Not quite sure what you are saying?.. The Comux UK tests on Ch 51 from Sutton Coldfield on LCN 791 & 792 are not for City TV Birmingham and will not move onto LCN 8 at launch?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not quite sure what you are saying?.. The Comux UK tests on Ch 51 from Sutton Coldfield on LCN 791 & 792 are not for City TV Birmingham and will not move onto LCN 8 at launch?
    They're for the two pseudo-national stations that will broadcast alongside local TV in every location where local TV is present. That's why viewers have spotted these channels in Grimsby, Birmingham and Bristol: the three locations where the local mux has been active.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not sure the average bloke in the street will ever find these TV channels on 791/792. They are hidden away above the Radio LCN's and next to the duplicates where most TV' park them. My opinion is these LCN's are for testing purposes only.
    Would any commercial operation be happy with these positions on the Freeview guide?
    As a side note as we go into the Christmas/ New year period there will be a total lockdown on all network changes and with City TV Birmingham due to launch on January 31st a place holder may appear soon on LCN 8. Anyone know what happened with the run up to Estuary launching?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not sure the average bloke in the street will ever find these TV channels on 791/792. They are hidden away above the Radio LCN's and next to the duplicates where most TV' park them. My opinion is these LCN's are for testing purposes only.
    Would any commercial operation be happy with these positions on the Freeview guide?
    As a side note as we go into the Christmas/ New year period there will be a total lockdown on all network changes and with City TV Birmingham due to launch on January 31st a place holder may appear soon on LCN 8. Anyone know what happened with the run up to Estuary launching?
    You are right: channels 790-799 is a section of the EPG earmarked for test services.

Once the commercial channels went live, they would be allocated a channel number, presumably at the end of the entertainment genre on Freeview (unless any of the channels was a news channel, then at the end of the news section; adult channels are not permitted on the local mux).

In N Lincs/E Yorks this is what happened:
    Mux launched with 791, 792 and 793.

793 became Estuary TV and moved to channel 8 just before launch day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Additional info;-
    The Freeview TV guide displays the following when selected,
    791 Local TV Test 1.
    792 Local TV Test 2.
  • Options
    figrin_danfigrin_dan Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm picking up a very weak signal on C29 (aerial pointing at Crystal Palace) about 10dB lower than C33 and 20dB lower than C30. I can lock onto the carrier but there doesn't appear to be a transport stream there. QPSK 8k 3/4
  • Options
    GreeboGreebo Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    figrin_dan wrote: »
    I can lock onto the carrier but there doesn't appear to be a transport stream there. QPSK 8k 3/4

Good spot. Are you actually tuning with a freeview box and finding no channels? I would guess what you are seeing is a transport stream full of null packets- we'd need someone with a pc card to confirm this though. Anyone able to run a pidscan?
  • Options
    figrin_danfigrin_dan Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You were right, there is a transport stream, but nothing on it. I'm using a spectrum analyser that would display PIDs if they were there.
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,421
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't broadcast of video (even if colour bars) constitute the start of the licence period? Maybe something regulatory to avoid?

They are perfectly entitled to do test transmissions. A test card would definitely be ok. Channel 5 (analogue) I believe had a launch trailer in the later days (I assume the entire content of that would have been reviewed by the then ITC before broadcast).

If these channels go live before the mux launch dates in any particular area, Ofcom might take interest.
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    Channel 5 (analogue) I believe had a launch trailer in the later days (I assume the entire content of that would have been reviewed by the then ITC before broadcast).

It did indeed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOiHGeuYK00 , IIRC it changed a few times towards launch and was operating for over a month.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kev wrote: »
    It did indeed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOiHGeuYK00 , IIRC it changed a few times towards launch and was operating for over a month.

Channel 4's promos were running for three months in advance of launch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Channel 5 from Waltham, which officially launched several months after Channel 5 had itself launched, showed regular programmes during the testing period, with a caption replacing the ad-breaks. Apparently, it couldn't show the adverts during the testing period.
    If the same still applies today, then picture tests, but no adverts should be allowed.