Options

Once Upon A Time dropped by Channel 5

Comments

• Options
    varsasvarsas Posts: 1,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was actually going to start watching the C5 broadcasts from season 3 so it's incredibly annoying. I'm hoping the 'Person of Interest' stays as I've been watching that from C5 from the start.
    Channel 5's treatment of "Castle" really highlights how badly they treat US shows that aren't CSI - or The Mentalist I suppose.
    How have they treatedd 'Castle' badly? As far as I can tell they picked up the 2nd broadcast rights (Watch have 1st?) late and so are behind the U.S. by the number of years delay but they show it annually.
    Straker wrote: »
    The BARB households are supposed to mirror the viewing habits of the nation in microcosm so if a percentage of the population at large watches shows as you do then this attitude will be reflected (in miniature as it were) in ones with BARB boxes.

However if we're fans of a show and are part of a BARB household knowing it would affect the show's ratings then we'd show our support.

As it stands I make sure to use the on-demand services of channels to watch shows to 'register' my interest because watching the broadcast means nothing unless one is in a BARB household.
  • Options
    lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FURIOUS!! Absolutely disgusted with Channel 5. There I was, not watching it at US pace by other means, waiting patiently for the show to air, and they go and do this. Forgive me, then, for seeking out the show by other means.

In all honesty, they had it on in a bloody stupid time of year; the Summer months, when less people will stay into to watch it, nearly a year after it originally airs in the states. They've treated it very poorly, which is a shame, as I loved season 2. I've heard season 3 isn't supposed to be very good (no spoilers please!!) but I still want to watch it!

I disagree with Piracy of all forms. However, if you air 2 seasons of a show, get people into it, and then take it off the air... what, exactly, do you expect said people to do? Especially when it's so easy to access it online now? This is why I have no sympathy for studios or channels when they cry about piracy. None at all.

Good one, C5. Can't say I'll be watching owt else on your channel for a while, if ever.
  • Options
    Gemma_HardingGemma_Harding Posts: 692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    It probably would have been pulled sooner if they followed your suggestion. Ratings data strongly suggests UK viewers generally hate US imports being shown at US pace. The frequent breaks between new episodes is not something most of us are used to, it makes them hard to follow and gives viewers an excuse to switch off. An uninterrupted run, perhaps as a compromise split into 2x12 or whatever with a gap in the middle, protects and maximises audience.

Look at what's happened to Marvel's Agents of SHIELD on Channel 4 and you'll soon see what I mean.

I disagree with what you are saying. The main issue is the outdated way in whih the US broadcasters model their shows. You are quite right with regards to Agents of Shield, but the schedule is dictated by the US production company. You only have to look at Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead. The former airs less than 24 hours after the USA, meaning that those who have access to sky atlantic (The availability is a whole different ball game) will more likely watch it via legitimate means. Fox is following the same pattern with The Walking Dead.

With the popularity on the increase for Cable shows with shorter runs, many of the US broadcasters are trying their hand at shorter runs for series, instead of the usual 22-24 that are usually ordered. Even ABC, OUAT broadcaster has taken the novel approach of splitting the season in two and showing the episodes with no breaks.

Regardless, channel 5 is looking to make cheap TV and I would suspect that Person of Interest is next on the chopping block. Say what you will about Channel 4 and her sister channels, they do try their best and it was Channel 4 that brought Lost to our shores before Sky bought the rights. Channel 5 is pushing itself further and further into the channel that shows cheap "reality" based shows, with American soaps thrown in. The only saving grace is the fact that 5USA shows Son's of Anarchy.
  • Options
    Mark AMark A Posts: 7,692
    Forum Member
    lordo350 wrote: »
    I disagree with Piracy of all forms. However, if you air 2 seasons of a show, get people into it, and then take it off the air... what, exactly, do you expect said people to do?
    Buy the DVD boxset?

Regards

Mark
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard season 3 isn't supposed to be very good (no spoilers please!!) but I still want to watch it!

Season 3 is fine so don't worry :)
  • Options
    lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark A wrote: »
    Buy the DVD boxset?

Regards

Mark

Mark: Gladly. Could you please link me to where I could buy it? Oh, it's not out in the UK, and now might not even get released over here thanks to having no channel airing it.

Thanks for your contribution.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    OUAT wasn't treated badly, it was given every chance to be a hit with expensive promotion on ITV, Disney film lead-ins most weeks, and a big on air campaign including special idents but despite all of this the viewing figures from season two onwards were very poor. C5 had little choice given it was a costly import and the return didn't justify the money spent. It's all very well being disappointed, but if less people had downloaded and/or more people had actually watched the broadcasts, it would be continuing.
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    varsas wrote: »
    How have they treatedd 'Castle' badly? As far as I can tell they picked up the 2nd broadcast rights (Watch have 1st?) late and so are behind the U.S. by the number of years delay but they show it annually.

They took a massive break in the middle of showing season 2 from June till November (2012).

Shame about OUAT.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Regardless, channel 5 is looking to make cheap TV and I would suspect that Person of Interest is next on the chopping block. Say what you will about Channel 4 and her sister channels, they do try their best and it was Channel 4 that brought Lost to our shores before Sky bought the rights. Channel 5 is pushing itself further and further into the channel that shows cheap "reality" based shows, with American soaps thrown in. The only saving grace is the fact that 5USA shows Son's of Anarchy.
    CSI Season 14
    NCIS Season 10
    Body of Proof Season 3
    Dallas Season 3
    Person of Interest Season 2
    Wentworth Season 2
    Secrets & Lies Season 1
    Mr. and Mrs. Murder Season 1
    Suspects Series 1
    Longmire Season 1
    Played Season 1
    Falling Skies Season 1
    Sons of Anarchy Season 6
    Justified Season 5
    The Mentalist Season 6
    Law & Order: S.V.U.

Doesn't look like a bad drama slate to me. Probably more I have missed. I watch and enjoy almost all of those, and the recent additions sound interesting.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    Mark: Gladly. Could you please link me to where I could buy it? Oh, it's not out in the UK, and now might not even get released over here thanks to having no channel airing it.

Buy a Region 1-capable player Mr Smart-alec :)
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buy a Region 1-capable player Mr Smart-alec :)

Season 3 isn`t out in the States, nor is there even a date yet for it`s release. Err....Mr Smart-alec :)
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    If you follow the conversation back, you'll see that my point was perfectly valid within the context of the point raised, which was how one might watch S3 if it is not shown again in the UK. The R1 Box-set when available would be the only option.
  • Options
    KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    Joel's dad wrote: »
    Have you watched season 3?

Series 3 could have done with shedding a few episodes and more than a few ideas, but has been great so far. If those 11 episodes had been condensed into just six, it would have been awesome!
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    I'm pissed off :(
    So how does this HDMI cable balcony work then ?
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Use unblock-us and watch it on abcs website :D
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You only have to look at Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead. The former airs less than 24 hours after the USA, meaning that those who have access to sky atlantic (The availability is a whole different ball game) will more likely watch it via legitimate means.

The availability issue aside, even take a look at Homeland; aired on freeview in the UK just a week after the US and in Ireland less than 48 hours after the USA.

Similarly when Glee was shown in Ireland on TV3 it usually aired less than a week after the US got it.

So it is doable for Freeview channels, I think 5 might be digging in their heels over cost though.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully Sky will pick it up like they did with other shows dropped on terrestrial channels.
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully Sky will pick it up like they did with other shows dropped on terrestrial channels.

I think it will end up on Watch if not Netflix will pick it up , as someone mentioned Netflix already have it in the US.
  • Options
    SimbaY2K+4SimbaY2K+4 Posts: 563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am really disappointed, considering how I was patient enough to watch the first two series on C5. from what I have seen of the show in season 3 it is a million miles better than season 2. I felt the show had begun to lose its way, shame they didn't completely destroy Storybrooke in S2 but hey ho!
    they had better still release the box sets in the UK as I have the first two seasons.
  • Options
    NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Before I start watching season 3 (and the new one) are there any crossovers with the spin-off I should know about, or can I just watch one of each per week until it finishes? I know Wonderland started a few weeks after OUaT.....don;t want to end up watching anything out-of-sync.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NinjyBear wrote: »
    Before I start watching season 3 (and the new one) are there any crossovers with the spin-off I should know about, or can I just watch one of each per week until it finishes? I know Wonderland started a few weeks after OUaT.....don;t want to end up watching anything out-of-sync.

You don't need to worry about that at all :)

Wonderland is a spin-off, but has zero connection to the ongoing story in the parent show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    OUAT wasn't treated badly, it was given every chance to be a hit with expensive promotion on ITV, Disney film lead-ins most weeks, and a big on air campaign including special idents but despite all of this the viewing figures from season two onwards were very poor. C5 had little choice given it was a costly import and the return didn't justify the money spent. It's all very well being disappointed, but if less people had downloaded and/or more people had actually watched the broadcasts, it would be continuing.

You do have a point; but then again, what do you expect when C5 show it months after the States, especially in this day and age? I appreciate that people downloading it and using 'other means' to watch has affected ratings, but some people just don't want to have to wait for months on end.

My point is that perhaps if C5 hadn't waited so damn long to show OUAT, we may not be having this conversation now.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blaming downloaders is smoke and mirrors. Many more people download CSI, NCIS and The Mentalist but Channel 5 are still running with those.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Any news of the DVD ?
    I am Pissed off.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 3 won't be out for some time yet even in the US.