Options

Vodafone to become largest 4G roaming network in the world

wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
Forum Member
✭✭
Vodafone's accelerated 4G roaming plans will see the operator surpass rivals as the world's largest ultrafast roaming network. Customers will be able to take advantage of the international service from summer 2014, which will enable them to use 4G services on smartphones and tablets in 18 countries for the same price as existing 3G roaming. To add to its existing roaming nations of Greece, Italy, Portugal, Romania and Spain, Vodafone will extend the inititive to the UK, Australia, Germany, the Netherland, New Zealand and South Africa. Additionally, Vodafone customers will be able to use the 4G networks in Austria, Belgium, France, Japan, Singapore, South Korea and Switzerland -

Read more at: http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/News/28311/vodafone_to_become_largest_4g_roaming_network_in_the_world_.aspx#sthash.CoVXqHrS.dpuf

Comments

• Options
    IkariMIkariM Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    This news has just blown Three out of the water, nice stuff you are posting mate. Do keep it up.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's good news but i'm not sure how much it would cost to take advantage of. Vodafone roaming rates can be quite high! They have some deals (Vodafone Data Traveller at £5 a day for 25MB) but normal rates for roaming in Australia, for example, on the jointly owned 3/Vodafone network costs UK contract custoemrs £3 a MB for up to 5MB then £15 per 5MB thereafter!

4G roaming could be pretty costly!
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IkariM wrote: »
    This news has just blown Three out of the water, nice stuff you are posting mate. Do keep it up.:D

How the hell has this blown Three away they are doing roaming for free in less places I agree but it not a bargain at all. Plus i doubt anyone has a phone that supports 4G in all those countries.
  • Options
    AlecRAlecR Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If only Vodafone's UK network was good though...
  • Options
    ThreeThree Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No it hasn't. With Vodafone you still need to pay roaming fees, with Three your roaming is included as part of your standard allowances.
  • Options
    japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's good news but i'm not sure how much it would cost to take advantage of. Vodafone roaming rates can be quite high! They have some deals (Vodafone Data Traveller at £5 a day for 25MB) but normal rates for roaming in Australia, for example, on the jointly owned 3/Vodafone network costs UK contract custoemrs £3 a MB for up to 5MB then £15 per 5MB thereafter!

4G roaming could be pretty costly!

Well you do have the data roaming cap which will cut your connection. By my calculation, outside Europe on the standard charges with a 4G connection running at full speed it should be possible to hit the cap in less than 2 seconds :o
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

Has it?

Correct me if im wrong.

Vodafone will still have roaming charges which means 4G roaming will cost a fortune.

Three allow roaming abroad with NO extra charges using your existing allowance you have at home.

Now, tell me, which there is better?
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    japaul wrote: »
    Well you do have the data roaming cap which will cut your connection. By my calculation, outside Europe on the standard charges with a 4G connection running at full speed it should be possible to hit the cap in less than 2 seconds :o

Correct. Which means in reality, its the most non news story for a very long time :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Has it?

Correct me if im wrong.

Vodafone will still have roaming charges which means 4G roaming will cost a fortune.

Three allow roaming abroad with NO extra charges using your existing allowance you have at home.

Now, tell me, which there is better?

Actually I would say for data at least it would be Vodafone for every country that's not a Three feel at home country. Isn't Three something like £5 or £6/MB in lots of countries outside Europe?
  • Options
    JwhiterzJwhiterz Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eventually all networks will have roaming internationally on 4G. It's nice that vodafone is starting that off with a large list of countries. But in no way has it blown Three out the water with it's free roaming of 25gb a month on the one plan. (They are slowly adding more customers to the list). Including outside of the EU
    But it is good news from Vodafone for those that want 4G in other countries as long as they are prepared to pay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jwhiterz wrote: »
    Eventually all networks will have roaming internationally on 4G. It's nice that vodafone is starting that off with a large list of countries. But in no way has if blown Three out the water with it's free roaming of 25gb a month on the one plan. (They are slowly adding more customers to the list). Including outside of the EU

Agreed, this is still a clear win for Three.
  • Options
    JwhiterzJwhiterz Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Three wrote: »
    Agreed, this is still a clear win for Three.

I feel quite confident in saying that 99% of consumers would rather have free 3G while roaming than have the option to pay extra to use 4G while roaming.
  • Options
    de525made525ma Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lots of speed, but extortionate prices after a measly limit.

Is this useful to anyone?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The key factor re this news is that Vodafone are providing 4G roaming across a wide number of counties for their customers. They will have to make it affordable of course if they want people to use it and I expect that will follow for the territories where they have a presence. In EU countries they will have to scrap roaming charges anyway by 2015 and they have been revising roaming costs in some countries (like Turkey) where they have 100% ownership of a network.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The key factor re this news is that Vodafone are providing 4G roaming across a wide number of counties for their customers. They will have to make it affordable of course if they want people to use it and I expect that will follow for the territories where they have a presence. In EU countries they will have to scrap roaming charges anyway by 2015 and they have been revising roaming costs in some countries (like Turkey) where they have 100% ownership of a network.

How big of an impact will this be for customers though? I'm sure the majority switch off their phone because they're scared of running up a massive bill, the prospect of being able to do that faster doesn't need explaining.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    de525ma wrote: »
    Lots of speed, but extortionate prices after a measly limit.

Is this useful to anyone?

Probably not as my example above shows. But for balance, at the other end of the scale in most of Europe I can use as much data as I want for £3 / day including loads of calls which is fine by me. But given the choice I would much rather be able to do this over 4G than 3G.
  • Options
    mrMickmrMick Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be far more interested if they dropped roaming charges altogether.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrMick wrote: »
    I'd be far more interested if they dropped roaming charges altogether.

All operators in the EU have to abolish roaming charges by 2015. Good news for UK mobile customers as long as the country remains part of the EU!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All operators in the EU have to abolish roaming charges by 2015. Good news for UK mobile customers as long as the country remains part of the EU!

Although as I've pointed out before, even if it isn't part of the EU, it will still be subject to EU roaming legislation for the same reason as Norway is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well it will be down to the country whether or not we leave the EU.
  • Options
    Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    japaul wrote: »
    Although as I've pointed out before, even if it isn't part of the EU, it will still be subject to EU roaming legislation for the same reason as Norway is.

You're assuming that the UK would want (or be able) to remain part of the EEA!
  • Options
    corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the scots vote yes, I wonder how they will deal with their mobile networks, after all they wouldn't want to miss out on their own 3G and 4g auctions. Perhaps Vodafone might be able to move some 3G masts from Scotland to Wales.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    corf wrote: »
    If the scots vote yes, I wonder how they will deal with their mobile networks, after all they wouldn't want to miss out on their own 3G and 4g auctions. Perhaps Vodafone might be able to move some 3G masts from Scotland to Wales.

It is things like this that make the whole independence vote a complete farce. They want to be all independent, cut them off completely. They want to make a call to England? International call rates should apply. They want to board a train to London? Show us your passport!
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would appear that almost half of holiday makers don’t give a toss for roaming or at the least believe they’re going to be fleeced should they turn on their phones while away from home so it does not matter if it’s 3G or 4G or how big the network is.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26231349
  • Options
    de525made525ma Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Three wrote: »
    It is things like this that make the whole independence vote a complete farce. They want to be all independent, cut them off completely. They want to make a call to England? International call rates should apply. They want to board a train to London? Show us your passport!

It is (un)surprising that the white paper doesn't mention the division of infrastructure in any detail at all.

Not only mobile networks and spectrum, there's the BT owned telephony, BDUK funding for broadband rollouts, Network Rail owned track, stations and equipment and more.

Would this be purchased, or would the status quo continue? Would the same private businesses continue to operate in Scotland, or would they need to split up into subsidiaries?

Why would BT bother with providing any service to remote areas of Scotland? Their national requirement to provide a telephone would presumably not apply any more. Or would need to be negotiated. Has any dialogue taken place between the incumbent operators and the Scottish Government to discuss what would happen in the case of a yes vote?

It's the uncertainty and lack of clarity on these issues that prevent a yes vote from me. And of course the currency farce. And the lack of any conclusive evidence that Scotland would be better off out of the union.