2014- Corrie's worst year ever?

boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,415
Forum Member
✭✭
The title thread really says it all. How many of you would consider this year on the show to be not just bad but the worst year in the show's existence? There are a few obvious contenders like the abomination that was 2009 (Molvin, Uncle Umed, Peter and Michelle/ Luke and Rosie, Joe's debt woes and painkiller addiction, Claire's appallingly handled miscarriage, Ramsay, Steve and Becky's farcical wedding, promising characters like Poppy and Minnie being given the heave-ho, brilliant characters like Natasha not featuring for 90% of the year etc.) but this year has truly taken the p**s. Who is crayoning the current scripts? Who is actually bothering to reference history correctly? For instance we had Ken recently exclaim that Deirdre watched Peter grow up. How could this possibly be when Peter and Susan practically spent all of their childhood in Scotland?! The show has just fallen apart at the seams, with little to currently redeem it apart from the occasional Tim and Sally scene, Ken and Deirdre and seeing Jim (temporarily) back on our screens. I watched an episode from August 2011 last night and was astonished to see the difference in quality. There is no effortless balance between comedy and drama any more, as witnessed this week with some cringeworthy scenes between Kirk and Beth etc. The exits have all been rushed and appallingly written (or like Tina's just dragged out to the point where nobody no longer cares). Characters have little warmth and compassion (take a bow here, Miss Hell) and have become distinctly unlikable. Corrie really is a sinking ship right now.

Comments

• lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The title thread really says it all. How many of you would consider this year on the show to be not just bad but the worst year in the show's existence? There are a few obvious contenders like the abomination that was 2009 (Molvin, Uncle Umed, Peter and Michelle/ Luke and Rosie, Joe's debt woes and painkiller addiction, Claire's appallingly handled miscarriage, Ramsay, Steve and Becky's farcical wedding, promising characters like Poppy and Minnie being given the heave-ho, brilliant characters like Natasha not featuring for 90% of the year etc.) but this year has truly taken the p**s. Who is crayoning the current scripts? Who is actually bothering to reference history correctly? For instance we had Ken recently exclaim that Deirdre watched Peter grow up. How could this possibly be when Peter and Susan practically spent all of their childhood in Scotland?! The show has just fallen apart at the seams, with little to currently redeem it apart from the occasional Tim and Sally scene, Ken and Deirdre and seeing Jim (temporarily) back on our screens. I watched an episode from August 2011 last night and was astonished to see the difference in quality. There is no effortless balance between comedy and drama any more, as witnessed this week with some cringeworthy scenes between Kirk and Beth etc. The exits have all been rushed and appallingly written (or like Tina's just dragged out to the point where nobody no longer cares). Characters have little warmth and compassion (take a bow here, Miss Hell) and have become distinctly unlikable. Corrie really is a sinking ship right now.

Oh yes, 2014 is a lot worst! Because the show has lost a lot of it's stars! I remember in 2009 when EastEnders ran rings around corrie! Now they're both nothing like they used to be, EE is slowly improving but still has a long way to go, but corrie is just declining more and more, it's absolutely WOEFUL! And a lot worst than ED and EE they should not be winning the figures at all!
  • warleywitchwarleywitch Posts: 2,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been watching ED since CS has sunk below the waves for me.
    For me, the test is whether I think about S/L's or characters later on or the next day. I never think of anyone from CS or care about them anymore...the telly's on right enough but it's just a noise in the background. I've been finding myself thinking about some s/l's in ED and about some of the characters who I care about...so, CS is dead. ED lives!
  • attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lou_123 wrote: »
    Oh yes, 2014 is a lot worst! Because the show has lost a lot of it's stars! I remember in 2009 when EastEnders ran rings around corrie! Now they're both nothing like they used to be, EE is slowly improving but still has a long way to go, but corrie is just declining more and more, it's absolutely WOEFUL! And a lot worst than ED and EE they should not be winning the figures at all!

It's itv's pride & joy it's not going anywhere & it hardly moves out of its slots hence the highest figures of all the soaps.

Even Hollyoaks is better than Corrie IMO.
  • barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    I don't find Corrie that bad.
  • grazemytvaddictgrazemytvaddict Posts: 4,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Along with the awful exits we are getting horrible characters coming especially like Yasmeen and that awful awful family. Nothing happens in an episode apart from what happened in the previous episodes for the past month. Like we've being watching Yasmeen scream, Rob look suspicious, Max be annoying and Peter whine over and over again for the past month.
  • cobwebsoupcobwebsoup Posts: 4,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been through far worse periods. 2014 hasn't been its worst year, nowhere near.
  • sorrentosorrento Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No matter how people complain on DS.... CS was, is and always will be thee TOP SOAP..it's the original it's the most popular it's worldwide and it's the best....it started long before all the other soaps and it will still be going when the other soaps are long forgotten...
  • fayemianfayemian Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was the tiny fireman racism storyline this year or last? If it was last year, then I think 2014 is like Shakespeare compared to that crap.
  • boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cobwebsoup wrote: »
    It's been through far worse periods. 2014 hasn't been its worst year, nowhere near.

Really? It's been an alarmingly poor year for the soap IMO. Think about the sheer awful plots we've been subjected to- Gloria and Dennis running off together, Stella's awful exit, Nick and Leanne at loggerheads, Lloyd/ Neil/ Andrea, Sawphie pursuing Madduh, relentless Windass financial misery, the library closure and of course the
    one which really typifies it all: Peter and Tina's dreadful affair.

The racism storyline was 2013- another abomination. What saves 2013 from being the worst is the culmination of Tyrone and Kirsty's domestic abuse and the Rovers fire.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really? It's been an alarmingly poor year for the soap IMO. Think about the sheer awful plots we've been subjected to- Gloria and Dennis running off together, Stella's awful exit, Nick and Leanne at loggerheads, Lloyd/ Neil/ Andrea, Sawphie pursuing Madduh, relentless Windass financial misery, the library closure and of course the
    one which really typifies it all: Peter and Tina's dreadful affair.

The racism storyline was 2013- another abomination. What saves 2013 from being the worst is the culmination of Tyrone and Kirsty's domestic abuse and the Rovers fire.

2013 was a lot better than EastEnders and had quite a few good storylines! The only good thing to happen in 2014 was Hayley's death, but that was right at the beginning of the year...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sorrento wrote: »
    No matter how people complain on DS.... CS was, is and always will be thee TOP SOAP..it's the original it's the most popular it's worldwide and it's the best....it started long before all the other soaps and it will still be going when the other soaps are long forgotten...

Not just people on DS who complain though...

And it's figures are down over 1M from last year...
  • sorrentosorrento Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lou_123 wrote: »
    Not just people on DS who complain though...

And it's figures are down over 1M from last year...

But still gaining more viewing figures than other soaps
  • CatmittensCatmittens Posts: 1,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorrento wrote: »
    But still gaining more viewing figures than other soaps

That doesn't mean it's the better soap (and that's coming from a Corrie fan). I still watch it but I'm realising lately it's mostly force of habit - as with many viewers up and down the country no doubt.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has been really bad lately. The Tina murder week was brilliant, but the wheels have come off since then and the past few weeks have been average at best.

The Neil/Andrea/Lloyd storyline has been terrible. Andrea is a poor character too. I don't care what happens to her, and why should I start suddenly caring about this new character who has marital issues?

I haven't warmed to Kal and his family either. Yasmeen is terrible. She is just unlikeable with no redeeming features at all. What's exactly her motive for splitting up Kal and Leanne? She took a dislike to Leanne instantly, with no real reason as to why. When a brand new character comes in and starts being unnecessarily horrible to an established character, it doesn't exactly endear me to the new character!

Todd is awful too. Just unlikeable, the writers should try and give him some funny lines so there is some more humour there so he's not just being nasty, but funny with it too. Tracy hams it up a bit and has some funny lines, which is why I prefer her as a "villain".

I don't like that Deirdre even considered that Peter would be guilty of murder! I would have imagined Deirdre fiercely sticking by her son and declaring his innocence.

The actors playing Owen and Anna are saving the Windass storyline. It's actually not that bad, because the acting is so good.

The only highlights the past few weeks have been the Platts and Gail's story with Michael. And any Tim and Sally scenes - they are a fantastic couple and I hope the writers don't split them up!
  • CatmittensCatmittens Posts: 1,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like that Deirdre even considered that Peter would be guilty of murder! I would have imagined Deirdre fiercely sticking by her son and declaring his innocence.

There's a reason Peter always calls Deirdre by her first name and not "Mum"...

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has been really bad lately. The Tina murder week was brilliant, but the wheels have come off since then and the past few weeks have been average at best.

The Neil/Andrea/Lloyd storyline has been terrible. Andrea is a poor character too. I don't care what happens to her, and why should I start suddenly caring about this new character who has marital issues?

I haven't warmed to Kal and his family either. Yasmeen is terrible. She is just unlikeable with no redeeming features at all. What's exactly her motive for splitting up Kal and Leanne? She took a dislike to Leanne instantly, with no real reason as to why. When a brand new character comes in and starts being unnecessarily horrible to an established character, it doesn't exactly endear me to the new character!

Todd is awful too. Just unlikeable, the writers should try and give him some funny lines so there is some more humour there so he's not just being nasty, but funny with it too. Tracy hams it up a bit and has some funny lines, which is why I prefer her as a "villain".

The actors playing Owen and Anna are saving the Windass storyline. It's actually not that bad, because the acting is so good.

The only highlights the past few weeks have been the Platts and Gail's story with Michael. And any Tim and Sally scenes - they are a fantastic couple and I hope the writers don't split them up!

Great post as always DaveyWavey! I agree with you re. Tina's murder week. There were some particularly strong scenes and some terrific performances courtesy of Alison King, Chris Gascoyne, Michelle Keegan and Marc Baylis. The final showdown between Rob and Tina was an absolute corker and a fitting tribute to the character that Tina was before her ridiculous affair with Peter. However, the quality just was not maintained unfortunately. I thought there was a slight improvement last week with the return of Ken and Jim but this past week has just been turgid, farcical nonsense once again.
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    Hell no - 1996, 2005.
  • The SnowmanThe Snowman Posts: 895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's definitely up there. This year it's just be stale and inane. They really do take us for fools with the dreadful content of the show. The writing is absolutely terrible and they're either rehasing plots from last year and the year before and the year before that (Wrongful Imprisonment) or coming with daft ones like the library fiasco which done rightly could have been good but instead has done in a very hammy way indeed.

In my opinion the worst years for Coronation Street were 1996, 2001 and 2009. 2014 so far shares a lot of similarities with them.
    - A ridiculous affair story (Peterina 2014, Molvin 2009, Dev/Deirdre 2001)
    - Multiple ong winded storylines for one family which dominates for months (Windarses 2014, McDonald's 1996)
    - Ridiculous supposed humorus plots which aren't funny (Gnomes /Ghost of Ivy Tilsley 1996, Library Fiasco 2014.
    - Desperate attempts to compete for ratings with big Eastenders storyline (Tina's murder vs Who killed Lucy 2014, Toyah's Rape v Who Shot Phil 2001).

One thing that 1996, 2001 and to a certain extent 2009 is that they were filled with forgettable big storylines. 2014 on Coronation Street is going that same way.
    We'll have forgotten about storylines like the Windasses one and characters like Andrea will long since be forgotten about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't remember 1996 but at least 2005 had the excellent Harris family arc and Charlie's abuse of Shelley. The rest was pretty pants though- particularly the silliness of the summer months.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go back 30 years and huge changes to the cast saw the soap fall to 10 million, which was critical in those days. There were rumours that as it seemed to be running out of steam and was mostly appealing to an elderly audience, it could have been axed. Yet it bounced back within a few years and was back to 17 million by 1989.
    However, now it seems regularly to fall below 7 million and just isn't really a big thing now. I think by the end of the decade Coronation St could either be reduced back to three episodes a week or moved into the 5.30 slot.
  • Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 5,193
    Forum Member
    There was a time a few years ago I nearly gave up, most of my family did, but this is the closest I've been to stopping watching altogether. It's dreadful at the moment, there really are no positives.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Go back 30 years and huge changes to the cast saw the soap fall to 10 million, which was critical in those days. There were rumours that as it seemed to be running out of steam and was mostly appealing to an elderly audience, it could have been axed. Yet it bounced back within a few years and was back to 17 million by 1989.
    However, now it seems regularly to fall below 7 million and just isn't really a big thing now. I think by the end of the decade Coronation St could either be reduced back to three episodes a week or moved into the 5.30 slot.

Moving the show to the 5:30 would really be the nail in the proverbial coffin. Soaps like 'Crossroads' and 'Night and Day' languished in the 5pm with both promptly being axed.

Fans in quite a few places are unhappy with the current state of the show- not just the DS forum- yet Granada appear oblivious.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's definitely up there. This year it's just be stale and inane. They really do take us for fools with the dreadful content of the show. The writing is absolutely terrible and they're either rehasing plots from last year and the year before and the year before that (Wrongful Imprisonment) or coming with daft ones like the library fiasco which done rightly could have been good but instead has done in a very hammy way indeed.

In my opinion the worst years for Coronation Street were 1996, 2001 and 2009. 2014 so far shares a lot of similarities with them.
    - A ridiculous affair story (Peterina 2014, Molvin 2009, Dev/Deirdre 2001)
    - Multiple ong winded storylines for one family which dominates for months (Windarses 2014, McDonald's 1996)
    - Ridiculous supposed humorus plots which aren't funny (Gnomes /Ghost of Ivy Tilsley 1996, Library Fiasco 2014.
    - Desperate attempts to compete for ratings with big Eastenders storyline (Tina's murder vs Who killed Lucy 2014, Toyah's Rape v Who Shot Phil 2001).

One thing that 1996, 2001 and to a certain extent 2009 is that they were filled with forgettable big storylines. 2014 on Coronation Street is going that same way.
    We'll have forgotten about storylines like the Windasses one and characters like Andrea will long since be forgotten about.

You have just spoken a lot of sense! Although who killed phil was absolutely massive compared to toyas rape, whereas who killed lucy and tina are both as bad as one another! Who killed lucy is very real though, tina is just a poor excuse for a storyline, and it's not about tina anymore really so it's a really silly idea, the story changes way too much! Peter/tina affair, rob kills tina, peter arrested, peter begs for alcohol, it's all tedious...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd argue that the Who Killed Lucy Beale plot has been executed ten times better than Tina's murder- particularly the aftermath. We've seen a gripping portrayal of a family's grief and the effect the killing has had upon the whole community. Tina was quite an isolated figure towards the end of her time on the Street and became quite unlikeable due to misguided, amateur and inconsistent writing. Admittedly the casting of Michael Rodwell's estranged son and Kylie's violent ex do sound promising but cast your minds back to mid 2012 when Rob and Ry-un's castings were majorly hyped. The former turned out to be a complete flop and it's only been in recent months that Rob has found his feet as an engaging character- right before he departs our screens...
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    The pace/rate of the drop in ratings is strongly indicative of how poor things have become on the show.