Options

The Deep - BBC1 tuesdays

Comments

• Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maysles wrote: »
    I thought it was ok, interesting enough that I will watch again I reckon as I'm with Chris1964 - it's the type of thing I generally enjoy but I do like it to have a half decent explanation so we shall see.

Some of the dialogue was a bit ropey though, I mean, I'm pretty sure we all understood what was happening when they were banging on the doors trying to get the guy to open the door to his sub, without a line like 'You have to press the emergency release button in your submersible vehicle' (Ok, I don't remember it exactly, but it was something like that! :D)

This line stood out for me too. :)

I very rarely watch British drama but I'll probably give this another go. I think the problem I'll have is that I won't care what happens to any of them which I think is more down to the director than the characters.

It's a shame because there's a few good actors in there and I especially don't think that the diector has made the most (so far) of Minnie Driver's quirkyiness. There's also something very unnatural about the conversations. Everybody waits until the last person has finished speaking before saying their line, which doesn't happen in normal conversation.

See you all next week :)
  • Options
    reeleyreeley Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    hey, its not perfect.
    Iffy Lines
    Iffy Tech

But it is entertaining and I am looking forward to the next 4 episodes.

I liked the first series of Bonekickers, but only the first.
    I liked the 1970s version of Survivors, not the remake
    I enjoyed Paradox, can we have some more?

Seems I am easily pleased? NO NO NO, I generally watch only an hour of TV a day and am picky. I usually give things a fair crack BEFORE I log onto the forums, that way my ideas and opinions are not swayed. Having just read this thread AFTER I watched it, I agree with much, disagree with much more, and generally am giving it an Entertaining thumbs up.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolute bilge. Atrociously written, badly cast and laden down with every cliché known to man and........for the love of GOD why do they keep giving work to Nesbitt???? Every line of dialogue delivered like he’s gargling a mouthful of nuts and bolts.

Stunned that this got past the outline stage. Producers, go and watch The Core to see how it’s done properly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Absolute bilge. Atrociously written, badly cast and laden down with every cliché known to man and........for the love of GOD why do they keep giving work to Nesbitt???? Every line of dialogue delivered like he’s gargling a mouthful of nuts and bolts.

Stunned that this got past the outline stage. Producers, go and watch The Core to see how it’s done properly.

My favourite film - one of the few I can watch over and over again! :)
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Core? As in awful film directed by Jon Amiel 'The Core'?
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moggio wrote: »
    The Core? As in awful film directed by Jon Amiel 'The Core'?

No, as in the classic disaster-flick to end them all, The Core directed by Jon Amiel.

Had to laugh at Driver in the Radio Times interview lamenting the cancellation of The Riches and saying how the network execs had it in for the show. Err......It’s HBO not NBC luv and they cancelled it because it was shite. The second season couldn’t have been treading water anymore clearly if they’d set all the episodes in a swimming pool.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Had to laugh at Driver in the Radio Times interview lamenting the cancellation of The Riches and saying how the network execs had it in for the show. Err......It’s HBO not NBC luv.

The Riches wasn't a HBO show. It aired on F/X
  • Options
    James LamontJames Lamont Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have the people who always knock James Nesbits acting seen Murphys Law? The last few seasons in particular.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have the people who always knock James Nesbits acting seen Murphys Law? The last few seasons in particular.

Probably why they have such a poor opinion of him.

It's down to personal choices, no one gets "converted" on here.

If someone thinks he's the next best thing to Olivier, I don't mind.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    Why are most of the crew on this dangerous mission neurotic young students or people with serious mental distractions ? ( recently lost spouse, affairs with workmates ..etc )
    I think they were doomed before they set off !
    The sub should have been called "Elderado" as that sank without trace !
  • Options
    davidsevendavidseven Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree.
    Which makes it all the more unexplained how he came to land himself in this cheap and childish 'drama'.

I honestly thought it was originally made to be shown in the children's timeslot, it seems on a par with the Sarah Jane adventures.
    A story and characterisation that would give a 1970's B movie a bad name. The minor actors playing scientists appeared to be around 17 years old and wouldn't have been convincing if trying to boil a kettle unaided.
    A couple of Hollywood names to get some overseas sales.And set designs that would put Blakes 7 to shame (B & Q plumbing dept, with a few LCD monitors) oh, and more CGI *yawn*

Not my cup of tea. :)

A repeat of Murphy's Law would have been much more welcome than this dross.
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    davidseven wrote: »
    I agree.
    The minor actors playing scientists appeared to be around 17 years old and wouldn't have been convincing if trying to boil a kettle unaided.
    This really stood out for me too, they were atrocious

We quite enjoyed it , to be honest, (anything with Goran in it gets a look from me, though I did wonder if they could only afford him for one episode)
  • Options
    frankwarrenfrankwarren Posts: 943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The gorgeous Orla Brady makes this watchable in her own.

Shame her character is dead though. :o
  • Options
    JohnFlawbodJohnFlawbod Posts: 4,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was looking forward to "The Deep" but managed to mkiss it last night - after reading this Thread I'm looking forward to it even more but for wildly different reasons...Lord be praised for "Catch-Up" TV :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    Alien meets Abyss meets Event Horizon

What's your point?

Alien - a very good film, but thirty years old (and none the worse for it)
    Abyss - pretty good, brilliant SFX, but still 20 years old
    Event Horizon - a pretty awful film, itself 10 years old.

Firstly there is no good reason to remake any of these films!
    Mixing up the plot and making it a five episode serial needed more setup I felt, to actually create empathy. Now the cute but annoying one is dead, and so what?

The other reference that I saw was 2010/2001, but again, not a patch on either of them (2010 also had the multinational crew).
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ........for the love of GOD why do they keep giving work to Nesbitt???? Every line of dialogue delivered like he’s gargling a mouthful of nuts and bolts.

This isn't the last you'll see of him this year: he's starring in a new medical series for ITV about a neuro-surgeon. Given that ITV have lost the plot drama-wise, expect lashings of House with a dollop of Grey's Anatomy. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must have got distracted at the end but how did Minnie Driver and her fella get trapped in the mini-sub?

I remember them talking outside after he had been rescued from near suffocation and then next thing I know is they are trpped in it.
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vinba wrote: »
    You were watching the trailer for the next episode. Apparently they are going to try and escape by using the mini sub (which has run out of batteries and oxygen) and get to the surface to alert the 4 geeks in the UN compound about the massive sub. Great plan, likelihood of survival 0%

Except they can't just surface because they are all pressurised, handily with a neon-oxygen mix instead of helium so they can talk normally, else they'll get the bends and die. Maybe they'll add in an Abyss style after-thought about aliens "doing something to them on the way up"

Also, the UN compound geeks...well one guy already spotted the sub but his superior dismissed him with a curt "You just do your job" type quote. I found that both amusing and annoying as his "job" is to report things on the radar/sonar which then get immediately dismissed by his boss.
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By the way, is this set somewhere in the near future? A near future where we have a permanant camp at the North Pole and one is able to navigate an ice-breaker all the way there?
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    By the way, is this set somewhere in the near future? A near future where we have a permanant camp at the North Pole and one is able to navigate an ice-breaker all the way there?
    I think so. There was the "enviro-comment" about it all being gone in a few years.

K
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    You could tell the BBC had spent a fair amount of dosh on it plus it was in HD. Destined to be sold around the world by BBC Worldwide. It was good - not brilliant though - but any drama nowadays has to be welcomed - better than something with celebrities in it or 'My fat labrador' type programmes.
  • Options
    LanceWilkinsLanceWilkins Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    All this kind of stuff (minus the boring save-the-planet ideology) has been done before in Das Boot.

And far more realistically -- you care what happens to the characters there.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aardvark85 wrote: »
    What's your point?

/snip

You think too much, I was just giving a one line summary for anyone who didn't see it!
  • Options
    DiggingHeavsDiggingHeavs Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    a) Here's a recording of your wife being killed, feel free to listen to it whilst an important salvage operation is taking place. I could have given you the tape later to listen to but I think it's better you have a distraction on your hands when someone's life could possibly be in danger.

Yeah that bugged the crap out of me too. Bad enough you have a screaming teenager who has clearly never had a moment of submarine training in her entire life on the most ground breaking mission ever.

But the captain, who's given several speeches about how she's responsible for everyone's lives chooses, the moment when he's already upset, in the area where the last team disappeared without a trace, in the middle of a hugely dangerous unexpected mission, to give him tapes of his wife's last terrified moments with no explanation or qualification. The next scene, is she surprised when there's an emergency that only he can deal with and he's having a break down?
  • Options
    TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It took me a while to get into The Deep but by the end I'd seen enought to know I'll be watching next week. Glorious hokum and I was laughing out loud at some bits (though I doubt that was the programme makers intention).

Isn't it fairly obvious that...
    James Nesbitt's wife will be alive and well on the bigger sub?