Options

I can see this kid turning bad in front of my eyes.

Neil5234Neil5234 Posts: 1,515
Forum Member
✭✭✭
it just happens to be a 14 year black kid who lives opposite me and could be any kid from anywhere...he lives with his single mom with 3 sisters and a brother, the one sister got pregnant at 15 and is now in a council flat.
Anyway the lad was the most caring child I have met and would come an chat to me while I was working outside, he would do anything for you and helped anyone in our small cul-de-sac if they needed assistance in any way, his mother would leave the kids to their own devises about once a month as she visited her sister in london for the weekend.
problems started about 12 months ago as the older sisters would start having parties till the early hours with the police being called on a few occasions as bottles were smashed in the road, you could smell the weed as you passed the house in the summer as they were all in the front garden drinking, last couple of months this lad has got off the school bus with a **** in his mouth his face has changed from a lovely smiling kid to a kid who looks like he has attitude problems, he never even says hello even when you greet him these days but just looks away, he is hanging out with some hooded kids most nights now till the early hours even though he has school the next morning :( i just wonder what his life would have been like if he had had a more structured disciplined family around him, I know its none of my business but I do miss the caring smiling lad that used to come and have a chat.

Comments

• Options
    Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it cos he's black innit?
  • Options
    delazarousdelazarous Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why the need to state his skin colour?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    It could well be the environment they are in, but it could be that they are just your typical moody teenager. Conversely, I know a few kids I went to school with, who came from stable homes, who turned out to be career criminals. I come from a broken family, with drugs, alcohol and violence and yet turned out OK.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blimey, you managed to shoehorn just about every stereotype you could into that post OP.

Is the father an imprisoned drug dealer too?
  • Options
    DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe you could unofficially mentor him? Most people go through a phase of changing character and testing boundaries at 14, it's how it's dealt with that will determine how tey turn out after their teenage years.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neil5234 wrote: »
    i just wonder what his life would have been like if he had had a more structured disciplined family around him

I imagine he'd probably still have become a teenager.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a shame what's happened. It's almost apocryphal sounding.:(
  • Options
    chaffchaff Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people become a product of their poor environment, others aspire to better things because of it. Perhaps in time he'll grow to build himself a good life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could well be the environment they are in, but it could be that they are just your typical moody teenager. Conversely, I know a few kids I went to school with, who came from stable homes, who turned out to be career criminals. I come from a broken family, with drugs, alcohol and violence and yet turned out OK.
    Its the smoking that shocked me as I thought the way he moaned about his sisters smoking in the past would have turned him against smoking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chaff wrote: »
    Some people become a product of their poor environment, others aspire to better things because of it. Perhaps in time he'll grow to build himself a good life.

Hope so as I would hate to see his potential go to waste, he is a very intelligent kid and wanted to be a vet, hope he pulls around.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    Blimey, you managed to shoehorn just about every stereotype you could into that post OP.

Is the father an imprisoned drug dealer too?

There are 3 fathers of the kids but none are ever seen.
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Neil5234 wrote: »
    it just happens to be a 14 year black kid who lives opposite me and could be any kid from anywhere...he lives with his single mom with 3 sisters and a brother, the one sister got pregnant at 15 and is now in a council flat.
    Anyway the lad was the most caring child I have met and would come an chat to me while I was working outside, he would do anything for you and helped anyone in our small cul-de-sac if they needed assistance in any way, his mother would leave the kids to their own devises about once a month as she visited her sister in london for the weekend.
    problems started about 12 months ago as the older sisters would start having parties till the early hours with the police being called on a few occasions as bottles were smashed in the road, you could smell the weed as you passed the house in the summer as they were all in the front garden drinking, last couple of months this lad has got off the school bus with a **** in his mouth his face has changed from a lovely smiling kid to a kid who looks like he has attitude problems, he never even says hello even when you greet him these days but just looks away, he is hanging out with some hooded kids most nights now till the early hours even though he has school the next morning :( i just wonder what his life would have been like if he had had a more structured disciplined family around him, I know its none of my business but I do miss the caring smiling lad that used to come and have a chat.
    It matters not a jot what else you say now, you said the word Black:D
    In the world of DS, that makes you racist and the and the thread will descend into a point scoring excercize between forum members trying to show they are outraged..:D
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    I imagine he'd probably still have become a teenager.

this, it`s normal. they usually come out the other end fine.
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    this, it`s normal. they usually come out the other end fine.

Sure with teachers, parents, figures of authority, but neighbours? No matter how sullen and moody I was, I can't ever remember blanking neighbours or friends.

Neil, keep the lines of communication open, even if this lad doesn't respond. Leading by example - showing politeness, consideration - is a small thing, but quite valuable I think.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Similar sort of thing...

A few years back I was rebuilding my Porsche in a lock-up garage and I used to get kids hanging around, asking me what I was doing, what different bits were and if they could help etc.

Couple of years further on and you'd be more likely to see the same kids drinking White Lightning, trying to uproot a tree, smash windows, chuck somebody's bicycle in the river or whatever.

Funny thing is, another couple of years on and they're now old enough that they have girlfriends, which means they need cars, which means they need a job and, being teenagers, they're busy sticking fake bonnet-vents to their cars and bolting exhaust-tips the size of soup cans to them.

It's all a bit naff but teenagers never realise they're being naff and at least they're taking a bit of pride in something.
    Give it a couple more years and they'll probably have settled down completely or they'll be proper petrolheads and they'll have sheds of their own, filled with oily bits to fix.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Sure with teachers, parents, figures of authority, but neighbours? No matter how sullen and moody I was, I can't ever remember blanking neighbours or friends.

Neil, keep the lines of communication open, even if this lad doesn't respond. Leading by example - showing politeness, consideration - is a small thing, but quite valuable I think.

maybe the op has upset him or his family unknowingly.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Young lad has a smoke and drink. Shock horror.
  • Options
    Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    It matters not a jot what else you say now, you said the word Black:D
    In the world of DS, that makes you racist and the and the thread will descend into a point scoring excercize between forum members trying to show they are outraged..:D
    Indeed, fatal error there!
  • Options
    NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    delazarous wrote: »
    So bloody what?
  • Options
    Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    delazarous wrote: »

this. My first thought when I read the OP's post.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    My mate as a child was black and just normal, not involved in criminal stuff, now he is in prison for armed robbery, he was part of a gang.

I am white.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mate as a child was black and just normal, not involved in criminal stuff, now he is in prison for armed robbery, he was part of a gang.

I am white.

black as a child? what colour is he now?
  • Options
    Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So bloody what?

It is not so bloody what

It is like me saying:

Fat White Athiest Priest became head of the Co-op bank and is a well known drug user, sleep with prossies and commits fraud.
    Is there something wrong with the White Community? When will the Queen and Richard Dawkins apologise for this fat guy? Something should be done.

The fact that he is White is irrelevant? Just as in the case with the OP's posts, the fact that he is black is not relevant and not sure why the OP needs to mention it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    bugloss wrote: »
    black as a child? what colour is he now?

No, I meant when I was a child.

I guess if it was MJ your question might be logical.