Lollipop 5.0 available for Samsung Galaxy S5

Comments

• Roland_SmithRoland_Smith Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Is that by Kies or OTA? If Kies I'll check it tomorrow. Thanks.

kies and OTA
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kies and OTA

I've done it now thanks. Couple of my mates have done theirs too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Not sure if its a bug or not but when I am on the lock screen it doesnt show notifications at the top untill I unlock it

Supposed to do this lol just googled it, It can be turned off in sounds and notifications in the menu
  • airwavesairwaves Posts: 2,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving the update but for some reason text previews don't appear on the lock screen now? The only way I know I have a text is by unlocking it and seeing the little envelope on the top. How do I get that back? It's enabled in the messages settings :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    airwaves wrote: »
    Loving the update but for some reason text previews don't appear on the lock screen now? The only way I know I have a text is by unlocking it and seeing the little envelope on the top. How do I get that back? It's enabled in the messages settings :confused:

Read my last post :) Go to sounds and notifications and turn it on to a level your happy with as there is 3 settings
  • airwavesairwaves Posts: 2,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Graeme89 wrote: »
    Read my last post :) Go to sounds and notifications and turn it on to a level your happy with as there is 3 settings

Thanks! ;-)

I do find it bizarre that it's off by default though.
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wondering how people have been getting on with the update (I have not even checked if it's available on Three for my phone yet as don't like to jump in incase there are problems).

Cheers Mark.
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a side note a tried to buy the S5 today from a Vodafone store. They still had it on pay as you go for £279. Unfortunately it's sold out plus the assistant was very stroppy when I told her I want to unlock it to use it on EE. She said she wouldn't sell it to me even if they had any in Stock to use on another network.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    victor mel wrote: »
    On a side note a tried to buy the S5 today from a Vodafone store. They still had it on pay as you go for £279. Unfortunately it's sold out plus the assistant was very stroppy when I told her I want to unlock it to use it on EE. She said she wouldn't sell it to me even if they had any in Stock to use on another network.

Best go to another store or buy online. Don't think her manager would approve. They make money out of selling unlock codes anyway. Technically a shop doesn't have to sell you anything. But its bad for business!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just wondering how people have been getting on with the update (I have not even checked if it's available on Three for my phone yet as don't like to jump in incase there are problems).

Cheers Mark.

My phones Three branded and I'm getting on fine with Lollipop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What a bitch.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was actually being very helpful for when you see it in stock next time.

:)
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How do they know whether or not you intend to use it on another network?

Perhaps if you didn't mention you were using it with EE.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My phones Three branded and I'm getting on fine with Lollipop.

Cheers.

Tempted to give it a go this weekend maybe.

Must admit that I'm not too sure about the light background (plus it must use more battery with the screen especially with OLED).
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not impressed with everything in pale colours, was perfectly happy with the black theme.
    It's killing the battery.
    Not a good answer to turn the brightness down as it just makes the whole screen murky.
    FFS.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »
    Not impressed with everything in pale colours, was perfectly happy with the black theme.
    It's killing the battery.
    Not a good answer to turn the brightness down as it just makes the whole screen murky.
    FFS.

That's one of the things that's putting me off (the light colour scheme).

Is there any way to change the theme?
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Graeme89 wrote: »

I've checked this - it shows all content, Hide sensitive content or do not show but the two don't show text and missed call notifications. I don't need to know other notifications as the flashing LED shows me I have FB notifications or emails. I do want to know if I've got a text or a missed call without unlocking the phone!

The other odd thing is that the 'lock phone with power key' also seemed to be off by default.

Had my update a couple of days now, and on the whole it seems OK. I don't like some of the colours - the orange of the messages is a particularly vile colour but apart from that it seems OK. Quite fast and the OTA upgrade process was simple.
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    don't have it yet.
    Interested in its effect on battery life. Can people please report back? I'm having no trouble with Kitkat so why update if it kills battery life?
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    don't have it yet.
    Interested in its effect on battery life. Can people please report back? I'm having no trouble with Kitkat so why update if it kills battery life?

Can't say I've noticed any difference battery wise.
  • PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The lack of silent mode is really annoying.

However, it is so much faster than before, from bringing up the keyboard to general navigation. The big one though is how much faster Chrome is, though it sets your tabs to being shown in your recent used apps screen unless you change it.
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    How do you mean, no silent mode? In settings?!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Sorry if this has been already mentioned but since my update to lollipop on my samsung s5, my phone seems to be using mobile Internet even when at home with my wifi. It does eventually go back on to my wifi when using it. If I put my phone down then go back to it later I notice it's back on mobile Internet again. Anyone else having this problem?
  • m4tt24m4tt24 Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I noticed this last night, go into Wi-Fi settings and disable Smart network switch, since I turned that off mines been fine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    m4tt24 wrote: »
    I noticed this last night, go into Wi-Fi settings and disable Smart network switch, since I turned that off mines been fine.

Thanks for that. Now working fine.😄😄😄
  • PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you mean, no silent mode? In settings?!

Yep. You can put it on vibrate or very quiet. Did a quick Google and this is was intended. The cynic in me thinks that it was taken out so that you can never really be 'unconnected' with your phone :p;-)

There is a way around I think, but it isn't ideal. Just means I'll turn my phone off at night now, at least until they patch it back in.

EDIT: You can put silent mode on, but it silences everything, including alarms.

Also, since posting yesterday I have noticed issues with battery life, especially when browsing the internet. I gave my phone a full charge and I'll see how long it lasts today before it dips into the teens.