Red Button service now on BBC One HD and BBC Two HD

Comments

• kasgkasg Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Story now on a516 indicating that it should be on BBC Three/CBBC and won't be extended to COM7.

http://www.a516digital.com/2015/02/bbc-red-button-rolls-out-on-freeview-hd.html
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    epsilon wrote: »
    Maybe they aren't waiting long enough for it to load, it does take a tad longer than the SD version. It might be worth waiting a minute after selecting the channel before pressing TEXT or the red button.

I waited at least ten minutes :)

I think the HD mux around here (Anglia on SD) is Meridian, and I've had reports from somebody on Hannington - which is definitely Meridian - that they can't get it either, so it looks likely to be a regional thing.
  • abennabenn Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    chrisy wrote: »

I think the HD mux around here (Anglia on SD) is Meridian, and I've had reports from somebody on Hannington - which is definitely Meridian - that they can't get it either, so it looks likely to be a regional thing.

I can confirm that the BBC Red button on the BBC HD Mux from Hannington is not yet available and have checked on my 3 Freeview HD set top boxes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    No red button here on BBC HD channels from Rowridge either.
  • ozsatozsat Posts: 5,744
    Forum Member
    Not seeing it in Oxford
  • epsilonepsilon Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greebo wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking Emley and Belmont are currently broadcasting the exact same BBCB mux construction as Winter Hill though (minus a small amount of tx data) - BBC1HD (England, no regions), BBC2HD(England- the only current HD version), ITV HD(Granada), CH4HD (North adverts)? So any tests aimed at Salford will appear due to the shared equipment? Or do they carry a more appropriate ITV HD region now?

It's difficult to be certain of the actual extent of regionalisation on the BBC B mux. A Yorkshire version of ITV HD has supposedly been approved but hasn't actually appeared at this stage. It could pop up with very little warning, just as the BBC RB service has.

However, the details of the actual RB rollout had already been made available on the BBC blog for anyone keen enough to search for the information.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/entries/5fbe83ab-53ac-4596-9b04-c4cf463f593d
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »

I only mentioned waiting as I had been speaking to someone earlier who was claiming not to have the RB service on BBC B but was receiving the signal from Emley Moor. He confirmed that it was working after I asked him to try again.

I wouldn't recommend waiting for as long as 10 minutes. ;-)
  • figrin_danfigrin_dan Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen the red button or menu yet on HD from Sandy Heath but I did see a green "Book me" - that's the same stream isn't it?
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always had to keep BBC ONE and TWO tuned in instead of deleting them and replacing them with ONE and TWO in HD as the red button wouldn't work. Once this is up and running from Divis, which it isn't yet currently, I can then properly delete them from the list.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Once this is up and running from Divis, which it isn't yet currently, I can then properly delete them from the list.
    Do you get local news on BBC One HD in NI?
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    figrin_dan wrote: »
    I haven't seen the red button or menu yet on HD from Sandy Heath but I did see a green "Book me" - that's the same stream isn't it?

As far as I know, he "Book Me" flag has been part of the Freeview HD spec, to be interpreted by the Freeview HD reciever. It's been present for a few years now.
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kasg wrote: »
    Do you get local news on BBC One HD in NI?
    I believe so.

On Freesat, BBC One NI HD is placed at 101 on the EPG instead of the SD counterpart as it only carries a single 'regional' news.

Same with BBC One Scotland and Wales HD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    On Freesat, BBC One NI HD is placed at 101 on the EPG instead of the SD counterpart as it only carries a single 'regional' news.
    OK, but we're talking about Freeview, not Freesat.
  • figrin_danfigrin_dan Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    As far as I know, he "Book Me" flag has been part of the Freeview HD spec, to be interpreted by the Freeview HD reciever. It's been present for a few years now.
    Thanks. Must be the first time I've watched live tv in years.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, but we're talking about Freeview, not Freesat.

Why would BBC 1 HD NI on freeview not have NI local programming when BBC 1 HD NI on Dsat have it? Only BBC 1 HD Network (for England) has the local news blackouts (red circle) as far as I know).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Why would BBC 1 HD NI on freeview not have NI local programming when BBC 1 HD NI on Dsat have it? Only BBC 1 HD Network (for England) has the local news blackouts (red circle) as far as I know).
    Yes, I just looked this up and had forgotten that it was just England that suffered from the lack of regional news on BBC One HD on Freeview.
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Exactly.
  • ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,246
    Forum Member
    Yes, I just looked this up and had forgotten that it was just England that suffered from the lack of regional news on BBC One HD on Freeview.

It's academic where I live as the east side of town is served by the 'wrong' region in any case and I'm sure there are many similar examples around the country.
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Thanks. Must be the first time I've watched live tv in years.

I'm pretty sure that I've only seen the "Book Me" prompt on the SD channels before. (When you press Green in response to the prompt it gives you the option of selecting to record the HD or the SD version of the programme).

I've thought in the past that it was odd that it didn't appear on the HD channels.

Whether this is coincidence or part of the changes I don't know.

(Incidentally - as of yesterday no red button on the HD channels here)
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    prking wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that I've only seen the "Book Me" prompt on the SD channels before. (When you press Green in response to the prompt it gives you the option of selecting to record the HD or the SD version of the programme).
    seeing as correctly-specced Freeview HD receivers should flag up the green "Book me" icon, and flag when a HD version of an SD channel is available, it's quite possible that it does appear on SD channels on a suitable Frreview HD receiver (I have never experienced this though as I am always watching the HD channel on my PVR, switching back to the TV for any SD content).
    I've thought in the past that it was odd that it didn't appear on the HD channels.

Whether this is coincidence or part of the changes I don't know.

I can assure you that the "Book me" prompt has been active on the HD channels (the BBC ones at least) for a few years now, as I have been using that facility in that time!
  • Walt HamWalt Ham Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No Red Button on Freeview HD off Waltham yet. My single aerial, pointing at Waltham, picks up Belmont Freeview HD and Red Button services are on, as reported.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, trailer booking doesn't use MHEG and isn't related to the red button streams. It's actually metadata carried in a Nordig descriptor on a "related content" stream
    mossy2103 wrote: »

Part of the Freeview HD spec but not part of the DVB-T2 spec. The metadata can be added to SD or HD channels. Older equipment will ignore it, Freeview HD PVRs will display the green button prompt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just an additional point about the absence of the Red Button on BBC Three HD and CBBC HD. I scanned the SD versions of these channels recently on the BBC A multiplex and noted that the channel specific RB data streams, for BBC Three and CBBC only, are no longer defined as the active MHEG stream. The PMT for these channels now lists the primary RB data carousel as the active MHEG stream.

Just a thought but could this mean that someone has incorrectly changed the SI data for BBC Three/CBBC on the BBC A multiplex in error when they should have changed the SI data on the BBC B multiplex?
  • Howard_GilpinHoward_Gilpin Posts: 2,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No red button here yet from Divis on BBC1/2HD.
  • hartcliffehartcliffe Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    same here no red button services from ilchester crescent transmitter