Nice selfless acts by nice celebrities

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 165
Forum Member
A lot of moaning and hating on here so I thought of a way to cheer up Monday. Nice charitable, sweet things done by celebrities for others (and clearly not for PR purposes, leave your cynical hats by the door ladies and gents).
This story about Simon Cowell made me think of it. Yeah he's a bit of a tit, but I think he's a nice guy and this story is very sweet.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a258609/cowell-pays-for-girls-dream-disney-trip.html

Comments

• KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I think this might be the shortest thread in DS history.
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice idea for a thread :)

He's not really a celebrity as such, but former Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez on leaving the club and with reports of him having strained relationships with some players and the owners, he donated over £90,000 to the Hillsborough Families Support Group. He also donated thousands to the Rhys Jones memorial fund, and more to a local care home. He already had the respect of most Liverpool fans, but this was just such an overwhelmingly nice gesture.

Inter Milan are lucky to have him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually I read a story about Piers Morgan paying for someone or something for someone as well. Imma have a look for it.
  • Rosie RedRosie Red Posts: 8,446
    Forum Member
    This is nothing major, but Joe McFadden was laden with packages on the final night of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and it was raining, and he put everything down on the ground and had his photo taken with my friend and I. He didn't think twice when we asked him, just said "Sure" right away.
  • Miss_MooMiss_Moo Posts: 8,997
    Forum Member
    Johnny Depp donated money to GOS, convinced Disney to do the same and then turned up in his CJS costume and read to the children. His daughter was a patient there when she was ill and he was filming in England.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnnie Depp giving £1m of his own money to Great Ormond Street Hospital to say thank you after they treated his daughter there and also going in to visit the kids there dressed as Captain Jack and spend four hours there reading them stories.
    Forum Member
    Unigal07 wrote: »

He's not really a celebrity as such, but former Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez on leaving the club and with reports of him having strained relationships with some players and the owners, he donated over £90,000 to the Hillsborough Families Support Group. He also donated thousands to the Rhys Jones memorial fund, and more to a local care home. He already had the respect of most Liverpool fans, but this was just such an overwhelmingly nice gesture.

Wasn't it 96, as that was the number of people who died?

He is also not selling his Liverpool home so he always has a base there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss_Moo wrote: »
    Wasn't it 96, as that was the number of people who died?

He is also not selling his Liverpool home so he always has a base there.

Yes you're right. An even nicer gesture when you look at it that way. It actually makes me fill up a little bit, since my dad was there and he could have been one of the ones taken from us :( I'll forever have respect for Rafa.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh wow I had no idea he did that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wow, that's so nice and kind.
    Forum Member
    Yes you're right. An even nicer gesture when you look at it that way. It actually makes me fill up a little bit, since my dad was there and he could have been one of the ones taken from us :( I'll forever have respect for Rafa.

I must admit that at times I thought Rafa didn't have the team's best interests at heart (I think he sometimes did things to play mind games with the owners) but he definitely has the club and it's fans very close to his heart.

Apparently he arranged a meeting with the HFSG to say goodbye to them and gave them the money then. He didn't make it public about any of the money he donated either, the groups he donated the money to spoke out.
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vidalia wrote: »
    Johnnie Depp giving £1m of his own money to Great Ormond Street Hospital to say thank you after they treated his daughter there and also going in to visit the kids there dressed as Captain Jack and spend four hours there reading them stories.

I read he also ensured that the doctors and nurses that attended his daughter were at the premiere of one of the Pirates movies.

For all Simon's criticisms he, apparently does a lot of charity /work donations with animal charities with Battersea particularly close to his heart.

Sandra Bullock quietly gave £1 million to the Haiti Fund, Brad and Angelina have given away astounding amounts. £6 million in 2006, £6.8 million in 2008 and all the other years.

The one that makes me go ahhh is Harry Redknap saving the donkey that was made to parasail in Russia. He is paying for it to be brought here and get a good home.
  • HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    How about when Eddie Izzard visited a guy in hospital last year. The guy was injured in the Mumbai terror attacks, and his dad wrote to Eddie asking him to send a note to his son to cheer him up. Instead Eddie turned up at his hospital room and performed an hour and a half stand-up.

Interestingly, his PR people refused to comment on the story, saying that it was a personal matter.

Not to take away from those that donate a lot of money to charities, I think it's the stories like this and the ones above about Rafa Benitez, Johnny Depp and Harry Redknapp that touch me - it's something to do with the personal nature of what they've done.

This is a lovely, feel-good thread BTW - well done to lucyloverlou for starting it :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1035354/Pete-Doherty-shows-softer-plays-wake-16-year-old-cancer-victim.html

He also especially arranged a gig in memory of two fans from his forum who died, who travelled everywhere for his gigs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    Rosie Red wrote: »
    This is nothing major, but Joe McFadden was laden with packages on the final night of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and it was raining, and he put everything down on the ground and had his photo taken with my friend and I. He didn't think twice when we asked him, just said "Sure" right away.

That is very sweet. The small gestures like that shouldn't go unnoticed. Not many celebrities would go out of their way like that, certainly not without a great deal of whinging anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HollyC wrote: »
    How about when Eddie Izzard visited a guy in hospital last year. The guy was injured in the Mumbai terror attacks, and his dad wrote to Eddie asking him to send a note to his son to cheer him up. Instead Eddie turned up at his hospital room and performed an hour and a half stand-up.

Interestingly, his PR people refused to comment on the story, saying that it was a personal matter.

Not to take away from those that donate a lot of money to charities, I think it's the stories like this and the ones above about Rafa Benitez, Johnny Depp and Harry Redknapp that touch me - it's something to do with the personal nature of what they've done.

This is a lovely, feel-good thread BTW - well done to lucyloverlou for starting it :)

That's a lovely story about Eddie Izzard, and even nicer that he and his PR people didnt want to flaunt it about - that's when they really mean it, when they don't want publicity for it. When people give to charity quietly and don't boast about it, that is to be respected.

As Miss Moo said, in Rafa's case (and in many others), he didn't tell anybody about his donations. It was the recipients who wanted to tell everyone about it, to say thank you and to show what a lovely gesture it was.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HollyC wrote: »

I agree it is not so much the money but the personal touch giving time & not seeking publicity for it speaks volumes about the person. I'm not a huge Depp fan but the going in as Jack Sparow & giving sick kids time is excellent the same with Izzard as I said the personal touch for me beats the money.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    Eddie is a great guy. The charity marathons he did were incredible and left me speechless. A very decent man.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bumping this for anyone who has anything nice to share about generous celebrities :)
  • DeeLushDeeLush Posts: 2,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was doing security about 10yrs ago and this particular day was asigned to Madonna who was just married to Guy Richie -

We drove to some recording studios in south london, in a rather rough area, later that day Guy came by and while waiting for her to finish went outside and saw some kids playing footie up against a derelict concerete building (very small like 3 x the size of a garden shed maybe) and started to kick the ball about and chat to them. 2mths later the building was renovated with steel doors and bars on the windows and completely refub'd as a youth centre in league with the local church and round the back they'd laid a mini football pitch (astro turf) complete with goalposts and to the side a little hoops court, inside was a tiny kitchen for making hot/cold snacks some playstations a table tennis table and some sofas and a tv.

All donated and paid for by mr richie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There a blind that was revealed to be about Amanda Seyfried helping a homeless man she had encountered on the streets by getting him a job and paying for his rent for a couple of months until he was settled. That was sweet of her imo.
  • Midnight RunnerMidnight Runner Posts: 1,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As I'm sure you'll know, Jamie Carragher has set up his own charity (23) - all money from his upcoming testimonial is being donated to it. He also attends almost every local event he's invited to, nothing is ever too much trouble. He's a good bloke:)

Yoko Ono donates a hell of a lot of money to Liverpool based projects too, mostly all unpublicised. She donated money to one of John's old schools and of course bought his childhood home 'Mendips' so the people of the city would always be able to visit it. She gets a bad name but I've been told she does far more for the city than she's given credit for.