Options

Was Denise robbed ?

Comments

• Options
    Moany LizaMoany Liza Posts: 22,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johartuk wrote: »
    She's from Southend, as is Denise's husband.

Leigh-on-Sea actually! ;)
  • Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moany Liza wrote: »
    Leigh-on-Sea actually! ;)

Aah, I read that she was from Southend (some article listing famous people from there).
  • Options
    Moany LizaMoany Liza Posts: 22,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johartuk wrote: »
    Aah, I read that she was from Southend (some article listing famous people from there).

Leigh was originally a nice old fishing village which has now become part of Southend's urban sprawl, so you're not completely wrong. ;)

Leigh is quite smart and a bit more upmarket than Sarfend!! :cool:
  • Options
    Cally's mumCally's mum Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catkins198 wrote: »
    Was she the best dancer? She made mistakes in quite a few of her dances - certainly more than Louis did. The judges criticised his lack of expression but not that he made mistakes.

Even if she were the best dancer I personally found a lot of her dances pretty boring. I found myself turning to my laptop or getting up to get a drink whereas when Louis was on I was glued to the tv and, no, not because I fancy him. For me, and plenty of others, there was something about Louis, something mesmorising - I can't really explain it.

Last year I thought the same of Chelsee and she was someone who I couldn't stand before she went into Strictly. I loved watching her dance. Also felt the same about most of Kara's dances. So obviously not a sexual thing with me as I definitely don't fancy women and although I think Kara is very beautiful I certainly don't think Chelsee is.

I loved Chelsee last year. I was gutted when I found out she didn't win (but there was as much unpleasantness on here as there has been this year and i finally got fed up of it and, by extension, SCD and gave the final a miss).

She can't cook, though! (As evidenced by her recent appearance on 'Come Dine with Me'). :D
  • Options
    clayton_stclayton_st Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Denise was the best dancer in this years contest.
    The comment by one of the staff that any one of the four finalists would have won any of the previous contests was ludicrous.
    Public voting would be better if it was one person/one vote but we know that fans of particular celebs send in hundreds of votes. and so it can't be fair.
    Anyway all of the final three were good so it was a good final
    ( not like the one where the gurning Chris BBC man won:D)
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to Denise it was a life changing experience and she wouldn't have missed it for the world - worth more than any glitter ball, so no, she wasn't robbed.
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nobody was robbed, Louis was arguably the least deserving of the last three but with the bulk of the voting coming from middle aged women and gay men he was always going to win. Personally I wanted Kimberley to win but I wouldn't have begrudged Denise winning if only for her showdance, which was amazing.

:sleep::yawn: This is getting so boring. Sour grapes I expect
  • Options
    madetomeasuremadetomeasure Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    bornfree wrote: »

the age range of the females voting seems to be changing per post :D
  • Options
    Cally's mumCally's mum Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, that was just an honest opinion.Note the poster said 'arguably'.

What is getting boring is you and your little enclave's insistence on being so dismissive of and purposefully misconstruing others' posts.

Merry Christmas. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the age range of the females voting seems to be changing per post :D

Good morning madetomeasure!:)
    I wish some people would do their research and realise that Denise had way more dance/stage school experience than anyone from the final 4. Louis is 23, he has spent the best part of his life training for his sport in isolation and to come out and do strictly was no mean feat. No one has denied that she can't dance and is pretty good, so she should be. But robbed no way was she! The stupid argument about the female contingent voting for Louis is getting a tad tedious. My 19 year old neice fancied the pants of Nicky, but didnt vote for him because he wasnt good enough she voted for Louis based on how good he was. I thought Colin Salmon was phroar!!! But I didnt vote for him because he wasnt skilled bless him could really dance.

Like someone said some men find it easy to physically like women but women tend to go past what a bloke looks like physically. Within reason I believe.

Lastly, Denise should choose her reality shows carefully. She is 40+ and has been around a bit, more life experience so more to find out about her.:)
  • Options
    dawhiteydawhitey Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    Personally....i thought denise was head and shoulders above the rest. She moved great for a 40 year old woman or whatever age she is. I didnt care if she had dance training before, she entertained me. I liked all the others in the final also. Dani and Vincent were charming, loved louis tricks and Kimberley came on leaps and bounds.

I cant really understand some of the hate towards Denise and James?

I thought they were great together and didnt come across patronising in the least. I cant actually remember them doing or saying something wrong. Their showdance was one of the best ive seen with so many great lifts and i though she was so brave to try them.

They were my winners but as i say, im happy for louis and flavia as they did really well also.
  • Options
    KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    What I'd LOVE is for some proper impartial professional dancers to give their entirely impartial opinion on who actually danced best.

That would be such a great asset to the show. Just absolute honestly.
  • Options
    mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karis wrote: »
    What I'd LOVE is for some proper impartial professional dancers to give their entirely impartial opinion on who actually danced best.

That would be such a great asset to the show. Just absolute honestly.

And yet they would still disagree :D

Even in proper competitions, like diving and gymnastics, with a number of judges, the highest and lowest makes are dropped and the average mark taken.

Eight, six, four or even just two experts always going to find things to disagree about.
  • Options
    nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good morning madetomeasure!:)
    I wish some people would do their research and realise that Denise had way more dance/stage school experience than anyone from the final 4. Louis is 23, he has spent the best part of his life training for his sport in isolation and to come out and do strictly was no mean feat. No one has denied that she can't dance and is pretty good, so she should be. But robbed no way was she! The stupid argument about the female contingent voting for Louis is getting a tad tedious. My 19 year old neice fancied the pants of Nicky, but didnt vote for him because he wasnt good enough she voted for Louis based on how good he was. I thought Colin Salmon was phroar!!! But I didnt vote for him because he wasnt skilled bless him could really dance.

Like someone said some men find it easy to physically like women but women tend to go past what a bloke looks like physically. Within reason I believe.

Lastly, Denise should choose her reality shows carefully. She is 40+ and has been around a bit, more life experience so more to find out about her.:)

She's 38 so not quite over the hill yet.

The endless harping on about her so called dance experience is very tiresome. She isn't a professional ballroom and latin american dancer and, besides, you can make a case for any celeb who has ever appeared on the show to have had some sort of advantage from some sort of prior experience, Louis included.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    natalian wrote: »

The endless harping on about her so called dance experience is very tiresome. She isn't a professional ballroom and latin american dancer and, besides, you can make a case for any celeb who has ever appeared on the show to have had some sort of advantage from some sort of prior experience, Louis included.

So is this endless harping on about women and gays voting for Louis too is getting rather tedious.
  • Options
    perdiedumplingperdiedumpling Posts: 8,540
    Forum Member
    catkins198 wrote: »
    Was she the best dancer? She made mistakes in quite a few of her dances - certainly more than Louis did. The judges criticised his lack of expression but not that he made mistakes.

Even if she were the best dancer I personally found a lot of her dances pretty boring. I found myself turning to my laptop or getting up to get a drink whereas when Louis was on I was glued to the tv and, no, not because I fancy him. For me, and plenty of others, there was something about Louis, something mesmorising - I can't really explain it.

Last year I thought the same of Chelsee and she was someone who I couldn't stand before she went into Strictly. I loved watching her dance. Also felt the same about most of Kara's dances. So obviously not a sexual thing with me as I definitely don't fancy women and although I think Kara is very beautiful I certainly don't think Chelsee is.

Ah, but you probably fancy Artem and Pasha then. You see, we women are never allowed to support someone without some element of "fancying" going on.
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As far as I know, she isn't a ballroom & latin dancer. So why didn't she just say that on the launch show . On the launch show she denied being a dancer, when in the past she has said she is a dancerand/or trained as dancer.

Can anyone explain why she lied?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    As far as I know, she isn't a ballroom & latin dancer. So why didn't she just say that on the launch show . On the launch show she denied being a dancer, when in the past she has said she is a dancerand/or trained as dancer.

She didn't lie. Having some dance training at stage school doesn't make you a professional dancer. She is an actress, not a dancer. Being an actress may involve doing some choreographed material from time to time but that still doesn't make her a professional dancer and nor does Kimberley being required to do some choreographed material as part of an on stage performance at a Girls Aloud concert make her a professional dancer.
  • Options
    ESPIONdansantESPIONdansant Posts: 6,760
    Forum Member
    We all know being in a pop group doesn't make you a dancer. Nor a singer either.

So nobody thought Kimble had any talent in the first place! It's more surprising when it turns out that any of these women CAN actually sing or dance.

Expectations of Denise were high and she delivered. But it was all just too easy for her to be a crowd-pleaser.
  • Options
    mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She didn't lie. Having some dance training at stage school doesn't make you a professional dancer. She is an actress, not a dancer. Being an actress may involve doing some choreographed material from time to time but that still doesn't make her a professional dancer and nor does Kimberley being required to do some choreographed material as part of an on stage performance at a Girls Aloud concert make her a professional dancer.

I think the problem is that Denise has called herself a dancer. Whether she is or not she has labelled herself one in the past.

Just my opinion, but I imagine she did this when she was starting out in Chicago to stress her credentials and so that the people who would be considering buying tickets wouldn't just think they would be going to see a Breakfast tele presenter - never thinking for a minute that 10 or so years down the line she wold be trying to down play those same credentials because her words and interview from that time are still out there and easy to find.

Denise and James never really worked out how to square that particular circle.
  • Options
    ESPIONdansantESPIONdansant Posts: 6,760
    Forum Member
    mindayann, you hit the nail on the head.

No way was she going to audition for 'Chicago' and claim zero dance experience, talent or training. She'd have talked her dance ability up for all it was worth. She's a damned good dancer and it was plain for all to see. I bet she never got much of the public vote at any stage.
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mindyann wrote: »
    And yet they would still disagree :D
    Not in such a clear cut case they wouldn't...

Once again it comes down to the simple truth of all these shows where there is a public vote; that the female contestants are at a disadvantage and always will be. On X-factor and other talent shows we constantly see lame duck tuneless male contestants come through against far better female singers...

On strictly a half decent male dancer will always win against a female contestant. There has to be a gulf the size of the grand canyon for the female to even stand a chance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,578
    Forum Member
    Because She Is Evil.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,578
    Forum Member
    She didn't lie. Having some dance training at stage school doesn't make you a professional dancer.
    I think some people tend not to realise the massive range of possibilities involved in "being a dancer".

For example, a tap dancer will train for years or decades, will be highly proficient at that particular area - but is quite likely to be just a beginner if trying to learn partner dancing.

For that matter, even the gap between different partner dances can be quite wide. It took me years to transition from being a competent salsa dancer to being a competent AT dancer, for example.

So the "advantage" of some dance experience is way overrated. It may even be worse than useless, because you may have learnt some style or method or technique for one dance which makes learning a new style more difficult - unlearning is more tricky than learning sometimes.

Dance experience and training are helpful, but realistically, unless you're actually a competitive ballroom dancer, they're no more helpful than physical ability, commitment, or entertainment or sports-training skills.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DavidJames wrote: »
    I think some people tend not to realise the massive range of possibilities involved in "being a dancer".

For example, a tap dancer will train for years or decades, will be highly proficient at that particular area - but is quite likely to be just a beginner if trying to learn partner dancing.

For that matter, even the gap between different partner dances can be quite wide. It took me years to transition from being a competent salsa dancer to being a competent AT dancer, for example.

So the "advantage" of some dance experience is way overrated. It may even be worse than useless, because you may have learnt some style or method or technique for one dance which makes learning a new style more difficult - unlearning is more tricky than learning sometimes.

Dance experience and training are helpful, but realistically, unless you're actually a competitive ballroom dancer, they're no more helpful than physical ability, commitment, or entertainment or sports-training skills.

Absolutely, I totally agree. However, it is surprising how difficult some people find it to appreciate this, particularly when the evidence is right before their eyes. How often is it that we see Strictly celebs who are good at ballroom or latin but dreadful at the other discipline eg Michael Vaughan. Being good at ballroom didn't help him in the latin.