Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone on twitter said that the change in Doc Martin's character symbolizes the end of the series. I don't necessarily think that's true, do you? :confused:
    Had to fix my little confusion icon. It was confused.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    I don't really understand DMs determined assault against LG working. He says she not one of the few women who could do both but up to this point in the show there has been no indication that LG is anything buy competent.

DMs mother stayed at home and was not a shining example of mothering. So where does he get the idea that LG needs to be a stay at home mother?

I think it is this belief of DMs which pervades series 4 and starts to drag the tone down ready for the train wreck in s 5.
    But once again, and I have asked this question for how many years now concerning this particular newborn...who in Port Wenn would you trust taking care of John Henry?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think - other than the obvious aging - picking up where they left of is really great! I want to see them find a way to move along the relationship that will lead to a good decision to marry. On the intimacy front, if things don't warm up in DM's bedroom/kitchen/surgery, I'll be forced to write the steamiest fan fiction story yet (and that would e quite a feat - and hands, and lips, and
    !)

Haha! :rolleyes:
    Oh, go ahead and write it anyway! ;):p:D
    Forum Member
    Not that I am advocating for LG as a stay-at-home mother. She loves her job and is a terrible cook and not the greatest housekeeper. DM should be the stay-at-home parent, but that won't happen.
    Just hope that picking up where they left off will not involve anymore will he/ won't he..will she/ won't she. That has gotten so old.
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    Someone on twitter said that the change in Doc Martin's character symbolizes the end of the series. I don't necessarily think that's true, do you? :confused:

I don't believe a change in Doc's character means the end. We've already watched him change in so many ways through series 5. And while it is so easy to remember him as such a grumpy git, we have so many examples through the various series of his ability to be rational, logical, compassionate, caring, and thoughtful (in inimitable Doc fashion) to his aunt, patients, and even children (like Peter). And by Series 5 with his own son. In series 4, he displays a protectiveness of Louisa while she's pregnant and a care for her well-being (again in his clumsy Doc fashion), all while dealing with his own feelings pretty much alone.

So this peeling back of the onion of the Doc character can continue, I feel, even until his softer side is allowed more time out to play, while still maintaining his professional doctor demeanor and the frustration he so often feels with the rest of mankind. He is a complicated character and there is much interplay between his nature and nurture still to be explored. If only I was a writer who could iterate those things!

By the way, a great shout-out to all those fanfic writers who have been able to capture this complexity and put it into words that I have so enjoyed reading.

Nice to be back from my vacation and to have caught up reading the forum with you all again.

Also I've noticed some new contributors and I say "Welcome".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrsWindy1 wrote: »
    But once again, and I have asked this question for how many years now concerning this particular newborn...who in Port Wenn would you trust taking care of John Henry?

For serious: Bert, Al, Maureen and Roger Fenn would do for me. But for the Doc--well, that's another matter entirely.

Actually, though, I just think he sees it as an important role to be a mother and take good care of your children, maybe even because of his upbringing and his mum's atrocious behavior. And his innate sense of responsibility says to care for your loved ones, just like he's done for Aunt Joan and tries to do for Louisa. And he does love the baby and feels the responsibility of it, maybe more so than Louisa in the responsibility department. He at least seems to want to be more practical and prepared than Louisa was.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There are 721 people in Portwenn. We haven't met them all. :) I am sure they can find some mother with young kids who could do at home child minding or some young girl who could be a nanny.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think everyone has to grow or you might as well die. I don't think it would be the end of the series necessarily. I think the writers can do anything if they have the talent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Hello everyone. I'm a big time lurker on DS and have been watching DM for a good few years now. So I thought I'd pop out from the shadows. I love "behind the scenes" stuff and really enjoy seeing pics taken during filming of shows etc. I've really been enjoying all of the juicy info you've all been gleaning about the new series being filmed.
    Do you reckon somewhere in a safe under lock and key are a pile of scripts with the answers to our hopes and dreams????? Do you know where it is? Do you think we could break in??
    Forum Member
    There are 721 people in Portwenn. We haven't met them all. :) I am sure they can find some mother with young kids who could do at home child minding or some young girl who could be a nanny.
    Well, i hope they find one this season, because last season, that was the cause of most of the drama.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SofaBint wrote: »
    Hello everyone. I'm a big time lurker on DS and have been watching DM for a good few years now. So I thought I'd pop out from the shadows. I love "behind the scenes" stuff and really enjoy seeing pics taken during filming of shows etc. I've really been enjoying all of the juicy info you've all been gleaning about the new series being filmed.
    Do you reckon somewhere in a safe under lock and key are a pile of scripts with the answers to our hopes and dreams????? Do you know where it is? Do you think we could break in??

Welcome aboard, nice to have you with us.

I love your thinking and my guess is they are located near Beaminster, Dorset. If we could only get an invite for dinner with MC and the Mrs.!!

Much as I hate the wait, the prospect of what they are cooking up for us in series 6 is lovely to anticipate. I just hope my anticipation isn't better than the writers' abilities. But I truly do not expect to be disappointed. Especially with Ben Bolt and all the crew and MC and PB on hand. I truly think and hope I'm right that they have things well in hand or they just wouldn't do it at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Welcome aboard, nice to have you with us.

I love your thinking and my guess is they are located near Beaminster, Dorset. If we could only get an invite for dinner with MC and the Mrs.!!

Much as I hate the wait, the prospect of what they are cooking up for us in series 6 is lovely to anticipate. I just hope my anticipation isn't better than the writers' abilities. But I truly do not expect to be disappointed. Especially with Ben Bolt and all the crew and MC and PB on hand. I truly think and hope I'm right that they have things well in hand or they just wouldn't do it at all.

We could excuse ourselves for a quick trip to the loo and then take a quick detour to the study with our safe cracking tools!
    Seriously, though! There seem to be a lot of people on here who have insider knowledge of the industry. Do you think the scripts are written and ready to go???
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We could excuse ourselves for a quick trip to the loo and then take a quick detour to the study with our safe cracking tools!
    Seriously, though! There seem to be a lot of people on here who have insider knowledge of the industry. Do you think the scripts are written and ready to go???

Welcome SofaBint.

I doubt that they are in final form, even for the first couple of episodes. Martin Clunes said once that they were revising right down to the day of filming.

On the other hand, I think the major plot points are firmly in place, and the writers are working to make them happen in the scripts. So someone knows what's going to happen -- maybe only Mr. and Mrs. Clunes for sure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really understand DMs determined assault against LG working. He says she not one of the few women who could do both but up to this point in the show there has been no indication that LG is anything buy competent.

DMs mother stayed at home and was not a shining example of mothering. So where does he get the idea that LG needs to be a stay at home mother?

I think it is this belief of DMs which pervades series 4 and starts to drag the tone down ready for the train wreck in s 5.

Well, his belief certainly sets up the main tension between them, leaving aside the hidden circumstance that he is planning to leave and that she believes he's now with Edith.

But, I must say, on this point I do tend to agree with DM -- it's very, very hard to be a mother and work full-time. Something suffers, and often it's both mother and work. I don't think that Louisa can really know this in her gut, because she hasn't yet been a mother, and she drastically overestimates her ability to perform this juggling act. It is possible with good child care and a supportive partner, but maybe part of DM's vehemence on this point is that he knows he isn't going to be that partner, whether because he knows he's leaving or because he chooses to believe that Louisa is shutting him out?
    't
    I think - other than the obvious aging - picking up where they left of is really great! I want to see them find a way to move along the relationship that will lead to a good decision to marry. On the intimacy front, if things don't warm up in DM's bedroom/kitchen/surgery, I'll be forced to write the steamiest fan fiction story yet (and that would e quite a feat - and hands, and lips, and
    !)

Oh yes. I'd be happy if they picked up in the Lexus driving home from the Castle. I want all the minutiae of how they sorted things out from that point on.

Was it a tweet from docmartinonline?

On the one hand, MC is on record many times as saying he doesn't want DM to change, or to be cured. I think he said that he should be "celebrated" as he is. Certainly that's one of the lessons for Louisa -- she can't go into marriage with him thinking that somehow she can change him.

OTOH, there is definitely a theme of change, or the possibility of change, in the series, and we've seen different situations elicit different facets of DM's character, e.g., becoming a father. So I think it's possible that he could make some changes in how he behaves to Louisa, and even continue down the path of more open-ness about his feelings (even if rarely).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member

Yes, I think the scripts are well writen and ready to go!! with maybe an odd tweek here and there ;);)

My initial thought was that they would start S6 with them already married :) BUT if theyre casting for 3 month old babies ....(its (maybe) easier to work with babies than toddlers?) then thats not going to happen !! :eek: I do think they should be moving it along further cos everyone (me included) is aging!!! Sorry to say it, but MC especially, big difference in his appearance even from S4 to S5!! Love him to bits but if JH is only aging by a month then its difficult to equate!!! Even in Port Wenn time lol :):) x
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have no insider knowledge of the industry (Adelie, where are you...) but I suspect scripts must be ready to go. Why do I say that? Because (in no particular order):
    1. I don't think you can go down and start shooting in March if you don't have some sort of shooting schedule mapped out.
    2. I think we kinda know that shooting happens for the convenient use of places and spaces, and not necessarily in the order we see in the final product. Even perhaps shooting more than one episode at a time.
    3. Lining up the cast means you must know all the major characters and juggling around actors' schedules is a consideration, too.
    4. Casting for the baby and other miscellaneous folk is easier to sort out than specific characters and that is scheduled. So they must have some idea of what they will need in the extras dept.
    5. There are just a lot of other production people and things that have to be planned for, too.

In other words, I see it like planning for a big wedding on steroids. It takes months and months of work to get everything sorted. Or as MC has said "We take a year to write the scripts." Then I imagine production planning takes lots of coordination and time.

And as far as script revision, that can happen all along, even as the scenes are acted, as MC points out that when a scene isn't working, they have to deconstruct it and work it out. I remember an interview somewhere that said that in Saving Grace, it was wonderful having the writer be the actor, too, that is Craig Ferguson, as they could so easily and fast, get rewrites done that way.

Again, I have no knowledge, this is just my logical guess.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no insider knowledge of the industry (Adelie, where are you...) but I suspect scripts must be ready to go. Why do I say that? Because (in no particular order):
    1. I don't think you can go down and start shooting in March if you don't have some sort of shooting schedule mapped out.
    2. I think we kinda know that shooting happens for the convenient use of places and spaces, and not necessarily in the order we see in the final product. Even perhaps shooting more than one episode at a time.
    3. Lining up the cast means you must know all the major characters and juggling around actors' schedules is a consideration, too.
    4. Casting for the baby and other miscellaneous folk is easier to sort out than specific characters and that is scheduled. So they must have some idea of what they will need in the extras dept.
    5. There are just a lot of other production people and things that have to be planned for, too.

In other words, I see it like planning for a big wedding on steroids. It takes months and months of work to get everything sorted. Or as MC has said "We take a year to write the scripts." Then I imagine production planning takes lots of coordination and time.

And as far as script revision, that can happen all along, even as the scenes are acted, as MC points out that when a scene isn't working, they have to deconstruct it and work it out. I remember an interview somewhere that said that in Saving Grace, it was wonderful having the writer be the actor, too, that is Craig Ferguson, as they could so easily and fast, get rewrites done that way.

Again, I have no knowledge, this is just my logical guess.

Yes, this must be right. Maybe dialogue is not totally pinned down, but everything else has to be meticulously planned out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hello, SofaBint! Very glad you joined us. Are you British, American, or from another part of the planet?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As you know, I'm curious about the DM cast and crew popping up on social media. Happened to look up Caroline Catz, nee Caplan, on Facebook and she is listed as an "Actor/Director". Ian McNeice is listed the same way. Is this standard operating procedure for British actors, or has Caroline actually directed?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/showbiz-news/doc-martin-caroline-catz-930753

No doubt someone has found the ineterivew with Caroline Catz before but it is relevant at the moment as it gives her understanding of LG's thoughts for coming back to Portwenn when she was pregnant.

Also she says that she personally is "chaotic" in real life. http://www.carolinecatz.freeservers.com/caroline.html

so maybe that's why she made LG a bit chaotic in series 5 as we know she "helped" the writers in series 5.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/showbiz-news/doc-martin-caroline-catz-930753

No doubt someone has found the ineterivew with Caroline Catz before but it is relevant at the moment as it gives her understanding of LG's thoughts for coming back to Portwenn when she was pregnant.

Also she says that she personally is "chaotic" in real life. http://www.carolinecatz.freeservers.com/caroline.html

so maybe that's why she made LG a bit chaotic in series 5 as we know she "helped" the writers in series 5.

Love it, c.c. cookie. I've been looking for that interview for a while now -- why don't you send it on to docmartinonline -- I think it belongs in the Articles section. It's too good to lose again!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    marchrand wrote: »
    Has anyone heard if Sally Tishell will be returning for S6? If not, I wonder how that will be explained. They need to have the Portwenn Chemist be part of the show now with James Henry needing nappies and DM needing supplies for his surgery.

I am sure that I read somewhere that she is joining the cast of whatever program that Stephanie Cole is currently on - Coronation Street? I think I found this actually by either looking up Stephanie Cole from IMDB or some biography on Google or Yahoo - I did not bookmark it and think that I did not find much on Selina Cadell when searching.
    Forum Member
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    I am sure that I read somewhere that she is joining the cast of whatever program that Stephanie Cole is currently on - Coronation Street? I think I found this actually by either looking up Stephanie Cole from IMDB or some biography on Google or Yahoo - I did not bookmark it and think that I did not find much on Selina Cadell when searching.
    So she won't be returning?
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So she won't be returning?

It doesn't look like Selina Cadell is returning. Her name is not listed in the articles that list the actors who are returning to the show.

I loved Mrs T and think Selina Cadell is great in that role. But, I think they have done as much with that character as they could. I think ep8S5 was her send-off, and it was a very nice one, indeed. If they brought her back, they would have to change her and/or change her relationship with the Doc. Maybe they thought that would be a distraction from other story lines that they feel are more important. Thinking you're in a relationship with someone you're not, and kidnapping his baby is a pretty serious problem when you think about it. It could be a bit morbid trying to see her recovery.

At least with Mrs. T they can say she's gone off with Clive in a caravan. With Pauline all they said was that she was "gone", and Al mentions she is in Bristol. BP doesn't seem to be hindered by the need to make explanations or excuses.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    It doesn't look like Selina Cadell is returning. Her name is not listed in the articles that list the actors who are returning to the show.

I loved Mrs T and think Selina Cadell is great in that role. But, I think they have done as much with that character as they could. I think ep8S5 was her send-off, and it was a very nice one, indeed. If they brought her back, they would have to change her and/or change her relationship with the Doc. Maybe they thought that would be a distraction from other story lines that they feel are more important. Thinking you're in a relationship with someone you're not, and kidnapping his baby is a pretty serious problem when you think about it. It could be a bit morbid trying to see her recovery.

At least with Mrs. T they can say she's gone off with Clive in a caravan. With Pauline all they said was that she was "gone", and Al mentions she is in Bristol. BP doesn't seem to be hindered by the need to make explanations or excuses.

I did find the reference about Selina Cadell - I found it on IMDB by searching her name from the DM cast. She did a movie "The Lady Vanishes" but that should have been done in 2012 and it lists another series - Father Brown in which she is a cast member.
This discussion has been closed.