Are the Sky cable channels still on satellite?

RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,294
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm just curious if they still exist. IIRC there were cable versions of Sky News, Sky One etc.

Anybody?

Thanks.

Comments

• NsewellNsewell Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just curious if they still exist. IIRC there were cable versions of Sky News, Sky One etc.

Anybody?

Thanks.
    Not entirely sure what your asking, you can get most of the Sky owned channels such as Sky 1 through both Sky and Virgin Media. There's Sky Atlantic which is exclusive to Sky.
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he means the feeds for cable headends to download and distribute via cable. I am not sure whether they (VM etc) still do this or whether they use fibre distribution to the headends now.
  • ozsatozsat Posts: 5,739
    Forum Member
    I think he means slightly different versions being provided to cable to what viewers see on satellite - so customised ads for a cable audiance. I think this stopped a long time ago.

Anyone remember when Sky1 on Freeview had a different feed with occasional different programmes too?
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,939
    Forum Member
    ozsat wrote: »
    I think he means slightly different versions being provided to cable to what viewers see on satellite - so customised ads for a cable audiance. I think this stopped a long time ago.
    Anyone remember when Sky1 on Freeview had a different feed with occasional different programmes too?
    When was Sky1 on Freeview?
    Sky3 (which became Pick TV) was (and is) on Freeview, but I didn't think that Sky1 or Sky2 ever were.
    :confused:
  • timo_w2stimo_w2s Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    When was Sky1 on Freeview?
    Sky3 (which became Pick TV) was (and is) on Freeview, but I didn't think that Sky1 or Sky2 ever were.
    :confused:

I assume ozsat meant when Sky 1 was on On/ITV Digital. They didn't have the rights to show some programmes on terrestrial TV.
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,939
    Forum Member
    Ah, right.
    I never had that so I wouldn't have remembered that Sky 1 was there, encrypted and subscription only I assume.
    :)
  • ozsatozsat Posts: 5,739
    Forum Member
    Yes - mistype with old age
    timo_w2s wrote: »
    I assume ozsat meant when Sky 1 was on On/ITV Digital. They didn't have the rights to show some programmes on terrestrial TV.
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    My (German market) Pace fta (actually Premiere branded) receiver shows several version of e.g. Sky news, one for Ireland one for cable etc. About 4/5 variations in all, but can't say I've watched any of them long enough to tell the difference.:)
  • timo_w2stimo_w2s Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »
    My (German market) Pace fta (actually Premiere branded) receiver shows several version of e.g. Sky news, one for Ireland one for cable etc. About 4/5 variations in all, but can't say I've watched any of them long enough to tell the difference.:)

There are only two versions on Sky News SD left at 28E, the UK version and an Irish version with customised ads for Ireland. The other ones are probably old labels but they aren't there any more. If you delete and rescan they should go.
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he means the feeds for cable headends to download and distribute via cable. I am not sure whether they (VM etc) still do this or whether they use fibre distribution to the headends now.

Yes, this is what I meant.

Looks like the Sky cable variants don't exist anymore.

Some years ago, I remember that Sky used these channels to try to poach Virgin Media customers just before they took their basic channels off in a carriage dispute.
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the Sky One cable feed still exists?

After Soccer AM earlier today, there was an advert advertising that Sky Movies was bringing the Oscars to Virgin Media.

I can't see Sky advertising this to their own customers.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, this is what I meant.

Looks like the Sky cable variants don't exist anymore.

Some years ago, I remember that Sky used these channels to try to poach Virgin Media customers just before they took their basic channels off in a carriage dispute.

Sky snooze anyone? :D
  • daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the cable versions of Sky 1 and Sky News no longer exist