Options

Has 'psychosis' been redefined?

archiverarchiver Posts: 13,011
Forum Member
✭✭
The news that "Smoking potent cannabis was linked to 24% of new psychosis cases analysed in a study by King's College London" came as quite a shock to me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31480234

The Wiki article on psychosis still says "Psychosis (as a sign of a psychiatric disorder) is a diagnosis of exclusion. That is, a new-onset episode of psychosis is not considered a symptom of a psychiatric disorder until other relevant and known causes of psychosis are properly excluded." (my underline). Psychoactive substances are specifically mentioned.

The article seems to me to suggest those who present with symptoms of psychosis, for the obvious reason that they use potent cannabis more often than is good for them, are now to be included in the big melting pot of Psychiatric Disorder. A new low tactic in the war on a particular drug which I'm sure helps many more people than end up needing help.

Worryingly, the BBC article says (about the availability of very strong cannabis) "In London, it's very difficult to find anything else" Well isn't that the real tragedy? It's well known there are two (main) active chemicals in all marijuana. Some are grown for their high THC proportion and some for CBD. The latter is thought to have most of the healing properties without the psychedelic "problem".

I hope anyone deciding to try some for the first time, or even anyone who thinks what they get hold of today is the same as they tried twenty years ago, is sensible enough to be very careful with the amount they use, and not be drawn into some stupid macho contest like it's alcohol. :(

Comments

• Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More anti decriminalisation propaganda.

I'm not sure one can come to any meaningful conclusion from such a limited study.

I see the Home Office has responded with the usual nonsense about how the war on drugs is working despite all the evidence to the contrary. How depressingly predictable.
  • Options
    LifeisGoodLifeisGood Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless I've missed something, there is no suggestion that psychosis has been redefined.

It is a temporary state of mind, and is a symptom of mental health conditions, such as Schozophrenia and Bipolar (which I have).

It is not an illness in itself, and on its own, it is not sufficient to diagnose a mental illness.

People can have a psychotic episode and not have a mental illness, such as sometimes happens to people when they are in hospital - hospital delirium I think it's called, or as a result of a trauma.

The BBC report does not contradict this, unless I've missed something obvious.

I think what the report is saying is that there is a link between Skunk, and illness that cause psychosis, such as the two I mentioned above.

I suppose you could have a random episode of psychosis, due to smoking cannabis, which may not be a symptom of an underlying illness.
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm. Not so sure, those with psychosis who smoke cannabis can be made worse after intake. 'New' cases could be people with a pre-existing psychosis that has not been diagnosed. It's a limited study. The question is still does cannabis cause psychosis or does it worsen the symptoms of those with a predisposition to psychosis.
    Legal highs of various sorts are a much worse prospect for causing psychotic states.
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As an ex-alcoholic, and drug addict, I, in my recovery, have encountered many marijuana users.

Although there is no physical addiction, often, there is a psychological addiction, and this can be much harder to shift.

In addition, although I accept this is anecdotal, all of the marijuana users I've encountered have had psychotic episodes.

Keep in mind though, that these are heavy users, whereby often they just can't cope without, 'taking the edge off,'

I have yet to encounter short-term recreational use being an issue..
  • Options
    Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    Psychosis, as far as I understand it, is a mental state that is apparent in a few mental disorders. It, by itself, is not an illness, per se. It's basically a state of experiencing a warped version of reality, without the insight to see it as unreal.

I also suffer from psychosis, but only as a symptom of other mental disorders. I suppose you could say that I normally have psychosis, but the difference is that I can normally differentiate it from reality with insight. Sometimes I lose the insight :/
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think the latest dsm manual version 1296745 defines shouting at pigeons as "severe mental illness". It's all about big pharma marketing more pills for bigger profits .......
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it hasnt be redefined. You can have drug induced psychosis which is what this article is referring to.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i think it`s often misdiagnosed, i had a squirrel family between the downstairs ceiling and upstairs floor over winter a couple of years ago, it was real because it wasn`t just me who heard them but the doctor put it down as psychosis, it`s not the first time they`ve put something real down as psychosis either. if you have any kind of label or history of drug taking i think that`s a frequent occurrence.
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »
    i think the latest dsm manual version 1296745 defines shouting at pigeons as "severe mental illness". It's all about big pharma marketing more pills for bigger profits .......

Yes ADHD is yet just one other 'invented' illness of modern times so that the acroynm idex can get even bigger and more pills prescribed. a bit more corporal punishment would sort it all out
  • Options
    Forum Member
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    Yes ADHD is yet just one other 'invented' illness of modern times so that the acroynm idex can get even bigger and more pills prescribed. a bit more corporal punishment would sort it all out

adhd is a very real disorder, i have a son with it. he has three older siblings who were all bought up the same, all were "normal", well behaved children. his childhood was an absolute nightmare for us all. he wasn`t diagnosed until adulthood [and has never been medicated for it] so we had no help and violence most certainly wasn`t the answer.
  • Options
    oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    archiver wrote: »
    The news that "Smoking potent cannabis was linked to 24% of new psychosis cases analysed in a study by King's College London" came as quite a shock to me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31480234

The Wiki article on psychosis still says "Psychosis (as a sign of a psychiatric disorder) is a diagnosis of exclusion. That is, a new-onset episode of psychosis is not considered a symptom of a psychiatric disorder until other relevant and known causes of psychosis are properly excluded." (my underline). Psychoactive substances are specifically mentioned.

The article seems to me to suggest those who present with symptoms of psychosis, for the obvious reason that they use potent cannabis more often than is good for them, are now to be included in the big melting pot of Psychiatric Disorder. A new low tactic in the war on a particular drug which I'm sure helps many more people than end up needing help.

Worryingly, the BBC article says (about the availability of very strong cannabis) "In London, it's very difficult to find anything else" Well isn't that the real tragedy? It's well known there are two (main) active chemicals in all marijuana. Some are grown for their high THC proportion and some for CBD. The latter is thought to have most of the healing properties without the psychedelic "problem".

I hope anyone deciding to try some for the first time, or even anyone who thinks what they get hold of today is the same as they tried twenty years ago, is sensible enough to be very careful with the amount they use, and not be drawn into some stupid macho contest like it's alcohol. :(

No, as I see it. from the wording you have quoted above, it is saying that it is not a psychiatric disorder until drugs as a cause are excluded. If drugs are the cause, it is not regarded as symptomatic of a psychiatric disorder.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »

Jesus wept

There is no excuse for this ignorance about mental illness in this day and age.

I suppose PTSD is also an invented illness?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the reassurances. There does seem to be some subtext in the article which says something like 'the drug you used has caused psychosis' rather than 'you don't have psychosis - your symptoms are caused by the drug you use.'

High strength super-skunk can cause psychosis like symptoms hardly seems newsworthy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been reading the research article.
    A theoretical explanation of why skunk might have been preferred by patients with first-episode psychosis is that, when they began to experience their illness prodrome, these individuals might have sought increased concentrations of THC to self-medicate.

However, experimental studies show that THC induces psychotic symptoms, while cannabidiol ameliorates them and reduces anxiety. That people who already have prodromal symptoms would choose a type of cannabis that is high in THC and has little cannabidiol (such as skunk), which might exacerbate their symptoms, rather than a cannabidiol-containing type (such as hash), would seem counterintuitive.

"Counterintuitive" eh. Is it difficult to understand why people making purchases of illegal substances don't get much choice, or even know the strength and THC/CBD proportions of what they're getting?

They actually make quite a good argument for freedom of choice in the matter and decriminalisation.
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My understanding is psychosis - or having a psychotic experience - is more a symptom caused by something rather than being a discrete illness. There can be lots of reasons someone experiences psychosis, for example:

* mental health problem
    * trauma
    * lack of sleep
    * use of street drugs
    * prescribed medication

It may be a one off episode, it may be something that recurs.

http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/psychosis/causes/#.VOIUetFyb6U
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My understanding is psychosis - or having a psychotic experience - is more a symptom caused by something rather than being a discrete illness. There can be lots of reasons someone experiences psychosis, for example:

* mental health problem
    * trauma
    * lack of sleep
    * use of street drugs
    * prescribed medication

It may be a one off episode, it may be something that recurs.

http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/psychosis/causes/#.VOIUetFyb6U

Didn't we used to call one-off psychotic episodes caused by cannabis "being high"?
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    Didn't we used to call one-off psychotic episodes caused by cannabis "being high"?

I think there may be a difference.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think there may be a difference.

and it`s huge.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I keep hearing about psychosis, yet I still haven't heard a clear-cut definition of what it actually is.

I suppose we've had one example of somebody thinking there's a family of squirrels living between the ceiling and the floor above (which isn't actually impossible), but what about other examples.

Now before anybody has a go, I'm truly posing this next example as a genuine query into the definition - honestly :D

Many devout Christians commonly display all the symptoms of psychosis (as I understand it), often claiming euphoric episodes, hearing voices, producing bizarre distortions and interpretations of natural events, etc. Exactly what is the difference?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    I keep hearing about psychosis, yet I still haven't heard a clear-cut definition of what it actually is.

I suppose we've had one example of somebody thinking there's a family of squirrels living between the ceiling and the floor above (which isn't actually impossible), but what about other examples.

Now before anybody has a go, I'm truly posing this next example as a genuine query into the definition - honestly :D

Many devout Christians commonly display all the symptoms of psychosis (as I understand it), often claiming euphoric episodes, hearing voices, producing bizarre distortions and interpretations of natural events, etc. Exactly what is the difference?

the squirrels were real, squirrel infestation is common and there were many clues and a sane witness, i wasn`t psychotic at that time.

put simply it`s a loss of touch with reality.

edit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychosis
  • Options
    TeganRhanTeganRhan Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly I knew someone who ended up suffering serious psychosis years ago, got sectioned and on realease decided what ever was going on in his head was too much and he hung himself. Only young too, about 23.
    Now I'm not saying it was the weed that caused it (although that's how it was sold to us at the time) I do wonder if the high levels of TCH triggered something underlining. I mean the guy was a HEAVY user.

That said I've a friend still who apart from a few years of derailment , hasn't suffered any adverse effect of her 15 year habit.
    It's all about the amount I'm sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the squirrels were real, squirrel infestation is common and there were many clues and a sane witness, i wasn`t psychotic at that time.
    I do apologise - I didn't read it properly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I do apologise - I didn't read it properly.

no worries.

my solution was creative, i suspect it was THAT that wasn`t "got" by the medics.
  • Options
    Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member

I guess the difference with religious experience is that most of them know deep down it's not real, but persuade themselves it is through will and suggestibility. Hence why it falls under delusion rather than psychosis. In psychosis, the people don't just "believe" it through "faith", they genuinely can't distinguish the difference between it and reality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess the difference with religious experience is that most of them know deep down it's not real, but persuade themselves it is through will and suggestibility. Hence why it falls under delusion rather than psychosis. In psychosis, the people don't just "believe" it through "faith", they genuinely can't distinguish the difference between it and reality.
    But how about visions of angels and people claiming that god spoke to them?