What would it take for you to stop watching your favourite soaps?

grazemytvaddictgrazemytvaddict Posts: 4,954
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ideas

Comments

• Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Certain characters leaving, although if it came to it I'd probably still watch them I wouldn't be able to help it :)
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite characters returning and being written as horrible shadows of their former selves.
  • priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even when it's at its shittiest I would still watch it, then come on here to complain :D
  • grazemytvaddictgrazemytvaddict Posts: 4,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    priscilla wrote: »
    Even when it's at its shittiest I would still watch it, then come on here to complain :D

I would do exactly the same thing:D
  • AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to love Corrie and Eastenders. I stopped watching both because particular characters seemed to be in all the storylines and I didn't like the characters in question.
  • IanMandyIanMandy Posts: 14,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Killing off Ian Beale and Sharon Watts would be the final nail in the coffin for me
  • thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well I use to love EastEnders - completely adore it - but after they killed off Pat, I think that was the beginning of the end for me, then Zainab left in shocking fashion and that was the first nail in the coffin. When Lorraine Newman came on board the show went down hill from there. I took a month break from it in October last year and returned watchiing in November but when Danny Dyer came on board that was pretty much the end. I think I've seen a hand full of episodes over the past 3 months and there's not much that would bring me back full time, for now.
  • InsideSoapInsideSoap Posts: 5,981
    Forum Member
    The only thing that would stop me from watching the Aussie soaps is if they were cancelled. That said H&A would be hard to watch without the likes of Alf, Leah, Irene and if Paul or either of the Kennedys left Neighbours then the show would really suffer. I could never stop watching them though.
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,279
    Forum Member
    My Last Breath :)
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The axe.
  • samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would take a lot to stop me watching Emmerdale but I suppose if a lot of my favourite characters left then I would stop.
  • B*witchedB*witched Posts: 5,647
    Forum Member
    Wash, rinse, repeat. The cycle of rehashed storylines that never seems to end. Unless it's done with a fresh new twist I'm not really interested.
  • BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,715
    Forum Member
    I stopped watching H&A (my favourite show) after Sally (my fave character left). It took a long time for me to watch it again.
  • wavlovrwavlovr Posts: 3,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What would it take for you to stop watching your favourite soaps?

I watch soaps online, so my answer would be...if my internet messed up or we lost power.
    :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only if I had it cut off - the electric that is haha.
  • Towie1977Towie1977 Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am embarrassingly loyal to the Aussie soaps. Lapsed on Neighbours in 2011-12 as it hit rock bottom but picked it up last year and am hooked again. I have big periods lately where I can't stand H&A but I always return purely out of habit I guess.
  • CPW4EVERCPW4EVER Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had on and off periods with EE over the years usually as a result of characters that I like leaving the show or characters that I dislike taking centre stage. The most recent period was a combo of both with the arrival of Derek Branning and death of Pat. I hung in there until Pat died & pretty much stopped watching altogether around the time of the Heather murder mess. I didn't start to watch it again regularly until Ronnie returned last year & news broke that DTC was taking over the show.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am starting to turn off Corrie- it's pants right now.
  • The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if enders brings in anymore bloody ..........Carters.>:(>:(
  • Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    priscilla wrote: »

I love this beyond words, this is exactly what I would do too. :D:D:D
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Complete boredom, which is why I stopped watching Brookside and Hollyoaks
  • Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I gave up watching EE some time ago, when it became just a shouting, malicious, unpleasant half hour, no humour or normal family life.
    I might give CS a miss while the the Sophie Webster character is in it; she is a vile person who hangs around a homeless shelter, looking for rough sex with vulnerable people...Ughhh
    The only other soap I watch is ED. I will stay with that, although I don't like the Spencer family or Kerry, man. I just keep hoping they will disappear; they are more suited to EE. .
  • HelenW82HelenW82 Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    I only ever watched Eastenders and Hollyoaks and gave up on both when they got taken over by gangsters.

As much as I don't dispute there are some streets ruled by bullies and drug dealers I just didn't enjoy watching that every night (Hollyoaks) or most nights (Eastenders) after work.

I used to watch Home and Away at my Nan's once a week but she got annoyed with the constant breaks in scheduling so gave up all together on the show.
  • peaches41peaches41 Posts: 5,652
    Forum Member
    I couldn't, I'd miss my daily shout at the telly.