Jobsearch sites, not using agencies?

Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
Forum Member
I'm currently looking for work and I have a few sites bookmarked namely reed, indeed, Universal Jobmatch, CV-Library but they mostly use agencies. I'm looking for a some sites that deal with actual companies themselves is there any out there?

I have been out of work for a few years, mainly due to being a carer and as such agencies seem to just pass me over which leads to me being unemployed for longer and I just get the usual 'We will keep your record on file' fob line.

Comments

• Seth1Seth1 Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If these agencies are passing you over, what makes you think that getting direct will be any different. Agencies will only discard your application if your CV has no relevance to what you're applying for.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    From experience agencies love to send over anyone even vaguely qualified for the role. Most companies use agencies anyway, but the ones that don't advertise on the same job-sites as all the agencies.

What you need to doing is be looking hard at your CV and the positions you are applying for.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many agencies these days are totally useless and seem to be run by robots. You can apply for a job you are perfectly well qualified for but if the agency has received 100 applications already they just pick out a few candidates to put forward and that means you can be on the reject pile already. One agency I went to see even admitted to me that candidates weren't actually picked out by humans!

Of course they vary enormously depending on how good the recruitment consultants are. Some will try hard to find you work and others are a complete waste of time. You just have to keep going. I would suggest that you dress up smart and go in to see a local agency to register. It certainly helps if they can remember who you are and if you are able to build up any sort of relationship.
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    haphash wrote: »
    One agency I went to see even admitted to me that candidates weren't actually picked out by humans!

Erm, didn't you realise that?

Why would you waste the time of a human filtering content when you can machine read and check for key phrases and content in seconds?

That's why it is important to re-write your CV for every single job application using key content from the advertisement...

Hell, even the least sophisticated employer or agency will dump CVs that have clearly not been updated within a few weeks to a month of the current date. If they haven't made the effort - why should the employer...
  • Steveaki13Steveaki13 Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am currently out of work too after an injury forced me to leave my previous employer.

I started looking about a month ago and have now signed on, and the crap you have to go through.

I mean It appears that more important than me applying for 6 jobs today, is what I write as my targets for next week.

All this modern day BS about targets and goals. How about just finding a job.

Anyway I find these websites very annoying too, the search functions bring jobs anywhere but where you are and they give so little info on most jobs you have no idea what they are.

Its all very depressing as its the first time I have needed to sign on in 10 years of work.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Steveaki13 wrote: »
    I am currently out of work too after an injury forced me to leave my previous employer.

I started looking about a month ago and have now signed on, and the crap you have to go through.

I mean It appears that more important than me applying for 6 jobs today, is what I write as my targets for next week.

All this modern day BS about targets and goals. How about just finding a job.

Anyway I find these websites very annoying too, the search functions bring jobs anywhere but where you are and they give so little info on most jobs you have no idea what they are.

Its all very depressing as its the first time I have needed to sign on in 10 years of work.

BIB: Yeah I know, I keep being "encouraged" to use Universal Job Match etc but it really is rather crap. Especially since I cant travel well on my own to anywhere outside where I live.
  • Steveaki13Steveaki13 Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    BIB: Yeah I know, I keep being "encouraged" to use Universal Job Match etc but it really is rather crap. Especially since I cant travel well on my own to anywhere outside where I live.

I am told I should be doing 4 hours+ a day to find work online and alike and log it all on Universal Jobmatch, while making targets in my little book.

The website's are all hopless. It seems more about making it difficult and miserable to punish you for being out of work.

I mean at the job centre I feel like a 5 year old. Getting told to "Write something in your book"

Set homework "Fill in targets or you will be told off next visit"

I realise some play the system, but for those of us here through injury/bad luck or whatever, they really try to make you feel bad.

Also CV's we all get sent on courses to improve our CVs. I am 28 English male and my 58 year old Croatian born uncle has almost identical PR speak and normal BS about working on my own and in teams.

If that is really what employers want, then they are as stupid as the rest. I honestly believe if you were to send a CV written honestly and normally you would probably get offers all round, for being an individual rather than a sheep.
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    It is harder than using agencies but many employers have websites that allow you to apply directly, they prefer not to pay agency fees if they can avoid it. Have a look at companies in your area that employ people in the type of job you are qualified for or have experience in and Google them then click into the'working for us' section of their website. Someone else has already made the point, but it bears repeating, always try and reflect the skills listed in the job description in your cv. You want to make it easy for them to see that you could do the job.

If you are using agencies then don't imagine that you can send in your cv and then just wait for them to call you. You need to be more proactive and keep an eye on the agency website and call them whenever they post a job you think you are a good fit for. You need to keep yourself at the forefront of their mind for when something comes in and that means making regular, polite contact. Good luck.

I think that ironically the job centre is more about making you jumping through hoops to get the money you are entitled to than actually getting a job. I would treat it as a separate process altogether tbh.
  • HelenW82HelenW82 Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    After two years of searching for jobs both through agencies and directly I finally have found a new job.

I agree updating your CV to suit the jobs is important but your covering letting is equally important too, I had a rough copy which I then amended to incorporate the key skill sets required for each job.

I felt a lot of agencies were only contacting me to meet there own weekly goals. As has been said finding a decent recruitment consultant she had me lined up for an interview and confirmed job offer in a week.

I used to read through posts like this and see responses like mine think "it's not that straight forward." Putting the effort into your CV and covering letter and a little bit of luck can be the extra push to get you that interview.

It's easy to be disheartened too, as I say I've been looking for two years, it's a tough market out there and at times I just stopped looking for a few months as the silence from then jobs I'd applied for was deafening but how can your CV land on your future bosses desk if you're not sending it out?

Also try gov.co.uk and search your area for all jobs, it may take you back to reed and other job search sites but it will list all jobs.

Good luck OP :)
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    The website's are all hopeless. It seems more about making it difficult and miserable to punish you for being out of work.

Then use a different website. There are hundreds of them.
    I mean at the job centre I feel like a 5 year old. Getting told to "Write something in your book"

Put it on a spreadsheet and print it instead. The little books are made from such cheap absorbant paper the moment you use a fountain pen on it it spreads everywhere.
    Also CV's we all get sent on courses to improve our CVs. I am 28 English male and my 58 year old Croatian born uncle has almost identical PR speak and normal BS about working on my own and in teams.

If that is really what employers want, then they are as stupid as the rest. I honestly believe if you were to send a CV written honestly and normally you would probably get offers all round, for being an individual rather than a sheep.

Refer back to my earlier post. You need to refresh your CV for every single job applicatioin, forget the PR speak, litter your CV with all of the key phrases and points from the job advertisement.

If there is anything on the advert that isn't on your CV - then it's not worth bothering to apply.