Options

Problems in Calais with refugees - lack of compassion?

Comments

• Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Really?!? Again, you miss the point. I'm talking about some of the attitudes I highlighted - why would anyone with any decency wish harm to others as I described previously?

Some people are ruthless. Including the migrants who are actually using violence to get what they want.
  • Options
    Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    claire2281 wrote: »
    The lack of compassion and care shown by the French is what I find most cruel. It really does seem like the French officials just hope they manage to get over here so it's no longer their problem. They seem to have very little interest in helping these people and can't be bothered to deal with them.
    The French are under no obligation to 'help' them. The French authorities know they are all there illegally and should be doing something about THAT. If, as most of these people claim, that they are seeking asylum, this should be claimed the moment they got into an EC member state like Italy or Greece which are the main gateways for these people from Africa....... not make their way from the point of entry to France and then try and get over the channel to the UK and THEN claim asylum.

France should just ship them back to where they came from - then bill the country of
    origin for the repatriation costs. :cool:
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about the lack of compassion shown by the would be migrants?

They don't care whether the people in this country suffer.
    They don't care if they add to the queues needing health care, housing, benefits.
    They don't care if people have to pay more and more taxes to support them.
    They don't care if the people in this country see their way of life slowly but surely irradicated.

And as most are young fit men, WTF are they doing to make life better for their people and the countries they came from?

Kind of an interesting contrast a hundred years after the start of WW1. Then men left this country to fight for their country because they believed that there was something to fight for.
    Now young men are trying to force their way into this country because they won't fight themselves for anything.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Really?!? Again, you miss the point. I'm talking about some of the attitudes I highlighted - why would anyone with any decency wish harm to others as I described previously?

I answered your point in my post 14, add keyboard warriors to it.
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    to start treating other people as people. i`m an atheist but do as you would be done by is the way people ought be and i don`t think it`s hard to do.

Well then you could start by showing some compassion for the people of Calais whose lives are being ruined by this problem year after year.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't think so, but there you go some people just don't understand the point at all. Or they don't want to.

I rather suspect the fact that so many people apparently saw the words "Calais" and "refugees" and skipped straight to rant mode without bothering to see if there was a question in there at all is probably, sadly, also the answer.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Well then you could start by showing some compassion for the people of Calais whose lives are being ruined by this problem year after year.

i havn`t displayed, nor do i feel a lack of compassion for anyone and i`m not sure how one could start something that they havn`t ended..
  • Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    I rather suspect the fact that so many people apparently saw the words "Calais" and "refugees" and skipped straight to rant mode without bothering to see if there was a question in there at all is probably, sadly, also the answer.

I know, I needed to give the background behind why some people in Kent were responding the way they had, but didn't want immigration to be the focal point of this thread (after all it's not like we haven't had loads of threads about immigration before!). But then this is DS and I should've known better.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    to start treating other people as people. i`m an atheist but do as you would be done by is the way people ought be and i don`t think it`s hard to do.

I agree with you. However, there has to be control though, surely. What are all these people expecting when they turn up with no money, no job, no home. They are fighting against each other now, for goodness sake, they will use violence to get what they want, so the criticism should not be so one-sided.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dekaf wrote: »
    Some people are ruthless. Including the migrants who are actually using violence to get what they want.
    You're not kidding there.

I'm in and out of Calais about 5-6 times a month and they receive 'compassion' from me in the form of a size nine boot or a telescopic wheel brace waved at them and my advice to anybody coming back via Calais is to stick to the motorways but if you have to use roads minor to that then keep the doors locked and don't stop for any of them for whatever reason, believe me you'll get robbed if you do.

I've been to the aid of many a motorist over the last few years.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is this what is called a holier-than-thou troll? It was too easily refuted, really.
    Back to the threads about fights in supermarkets etc.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My opinion is bollocks to them.....Im sick of seeing them trying to board lorries to get here to freeload...

Those that want them here can house, feed and account for them or better still, travel over and look after them...

Like I've said though, what's the massively major attraction about this overcrowded country. Why are they literally queuing up utterly desperate to get here ? Why not stop in France ?

I don't get it.
  • Options
    pinot_noirpinot_noir Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in Kent and it's been in the local news about the problems in Calais, with refugees/migrants waiting in Calais in camps waiting to cross the channel illegally to gain entry to the UK. There has been violent clashes in the camps from groups from different countries over space and area within those camps. A Calais official is so fed up with his town having to deal with this and affecting the local economy that he has said the refugees/migrants should all be given tickets to cross the channel to Kent.
    http://www.kentonline.co.uk/dover/news/immigrants-shipped-to-dover-21399/

Now that's the background. What I find quite disturbing though is the complete lack of compassion shown by people in this country towards this issue. Regardless of where you stand on the immigration issue, why do some people go on to describe these refugees as "scum" and suggest their boats get sunk or their planes blown up? (Both comments given on the FB pages of local newspapers). I can understand that people may not want them here, but to want to harm them to the point of killing them is inhumane.

Is this what some people have become, inhumane with a lack of compassion?

People have no sympathy with fake refugees (you can only be a refugee in the UK if you've got out of your own country via boat or plane to land here directly, or if you've had a visa to live here and circumstances prevent you going back) and they use online forums to mouth off about it. It's a form of trolling, where people can vent their nastiness without significant personal consequences.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    empathy is a far rarer commodity than i thought, that`s so saddening. two world wars we`re banging on about all week and still no one has learnt anything about how to treat one`s fellow man.
  • Options
    katywilkatywil Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

exactly this. Calais is now a scary place. drivers are scared of being beaten up. they are scared of the fines they get if an illegal sneaks onto the lorries. the area around the port is a no-go area because of the intimidating behaviour. petrol stations and rest areas around Calais are all closed because everyone is afraid to stop in them for fear of being boarded/ beaten up/ robbed. compassion should be for people who deserve it. these illegals don't deserve it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    Like I've said though, what's the massively major attraction about this overcrowded country. Why are they literally queuing up utterly desperate to get here ? Why not stop in France ?

I don't get it.
    They interviewed one on local tv the other night and asked why are you so desperate to get to England, the answer was that 'you get free money, food and a house' and I bet he's not the only one who's under that impression.

I think the govt on both sides should be sending the message back to the countries they come from that you don't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    is this what is called a holier-than-thou troll? It was too easily refuted, really.
    Back to the threads about fights in supermarkets etc.

Er no, I've been on DS for a number of years now, active on different threads. And certainly questioning a lack of compassion does not make me a troll or holier-than-thou.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »

I don't get it.

Grab yourself a cuppa and have a read of some research done which explains why. If short of time, flick to p26.

http://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/assets/0001/5702/rcchance.pdf
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They interviewed one on local tv the other night and asked why are you so desperate to get to England, the answer was that 'you get free money, food and a house' and I bet he's not the only one who's under that impression.

I think the govt on both sides should be sending the message back to the countries they come from that you don't.

Well they won't get a bling bling pad in Knightsbridge with the local council throwing sacks of cash in through the window.
    But then again they won't starve and they will be offered some sort of accomadation. If they can get the missus and kids over then they will eventually get a reasonable lifestyle compared to what they have back home.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    empathy is a far rarer commodity than i thought, that`s so saddening. two world wars we`re banging on about all week and still no one has learnt anything about how to treat one`s fellow man.

I know I shouldn't be surprised as this is DS after all, but I agree annette.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Grab yourself a cuppa and have a read of some research done which explains why. If short of time, flick to p26.

http://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/assets/0001/5702/rcchance.pdf

To save the read, plus energy making a cuppa, does it explain why they don't stop in the first safe country but head here instead?
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To save the read, plus energy making a cuppa, does it explain why they don't stop in the first safe country but head here instead?

I read p26 and it didn't refer to that at all.

It was people stating why they left their countries and some of the dangers they faced when trying to do so. There was nothing about why they were heading to where they were heading.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    katywil wrote: »
    exactly this. Calais is now a scary place. drivers are scared of being beaten up. they are scared of the fines they get if an illegal sneaks onto the lorries. the area around the port is a no-go area because of the intimidating behaviour. petrol stations and rest areas around Calais are all closed because everyone is afraid to stop in them for fear of being boarded/ beaten up/ robbed. compassion should be for people who deserve it. these illegals don't deserve it.

And if the people who made such hateful comments about sinking boats and blowing up planes carrying these migrants had been personally assaulted I could understand it. I don't believe that was the case though. To me it's just hate. That does not mean I condone the violence the migrants are using either in case anyone wants to lay that on me.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    e:
    Originally Posted by claire2281
    The lack of compassion and care shown by the French is what I find most cruel. It really does seem like the French officials just hope they manage to get over here so it's no longer their problem. They seem to have very little interest in helping these people and can't be bothered to deal with them.

>>>
    Well said, I agree.

>>>.

Somewhere I have read the French place the blame entirely on the British Govt for having virtually non existent border controls and over generous benefits.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »
    I read p26 and it didn't refer to that at all.

It was people stating why they left their countries and some of the dangers they faced when trying to do so. There was nothing about why they were heading to where they were heading.

Page 26 of the pdf is a couple of pages earlier than page 26 of the report. Good old adobe!