Isn't it chilly for August?

Comments

• tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always thought August is the new September. Its happened for a few years now. Summer being located in the May-June-July months,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always thought August is the new September. Its happened for a few years now. Summer being located in the May-June-July months,

Yes I have noticed this, however we usually get 1 week of good weather around the 1st week of September when the kids of back to school
  • Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's still quite a lot of Wheat not cut yet and if if keeps raining it will be ruined. From what I hear it has to be below a certain moisture content before it can be harvested and these constant showers are the problem.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I have noticed this, however we usually get 1 week of good weather around the 1st week of September when the kids of back to school

And we've had some really warm and sunny Octobers recently.
    *looks forward to the "isn't it warm for January?" thread *
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My heating nearly came on this morning. It was showing 18.5 which is half a degree above where it's set for the morning. Temperatures have been okay here for afternoon golf in shorts and T-shirts but I'm not sure about today. Forecast for the PM is cloudy and high of 15.

's another bloody gorgeous morning though. It's done that most of this week here. Then just as I drive to the club the clouds come rolling in :(
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Wait till the greedy Utility companies start their usual annual 'event' of whacking up the prices.....just in time for the freeze. >:(>:(

They are very greedy. Been a bad couple of years for them though - two very mild winters and more people insulating their houses.
    Their income fell through the floor, but you're right, they'll try and compensate themselves for that by putting prices up.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    My heating nearly came on this morning. It was showing 18.5 which is half a degree above where it's set for the morning. Temperatures have been okay here for afternoon golf in shorts and T-shirts but I'm not sure about today. Forecast for the PM is cloudy and high of 15.

My central heating gets turned off around 1 April and isn't switched back on until at least mid-October. If it's chilly in between those dates I just deal with it. I reckon it costs me £2-3 a day to have my radiators on so if you can reduce the number of weeks each year you use it then you can make significant savings on your energy bills.
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is definately nippy for August.

According to today's Sun we are set to be colder than Siberia today.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »

In other words it really isn't going to be.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    My central heating gets turned off around 1 April and isn't switched back on until at least mid-October. If it's chilly in between those dates I just deal with it. I reckon it costs me £2-3 a day to have my radiators on so if you can reduce the number of weeks each year you use it then you can make significant savings on your energy bills.
    That'll be what a thermostat is for.

I also wear jumpers and 'deal with it' but 18 degrees in my living room is as far as I'm prepared to go in the morning and 19 in the PM when I'm likely not moving around so much. That remains true summer or winter. This year I don't think my heating has done anything since early May so I've saved almost the same money as you.

It sounds like you tolerate a slightly colder home so just set your thermostat a bit lower. From your post I'd suggest 17 degrees. If you did that your heating would probably not have come on since 1 April and you'd have saved exactly the same money. There's no need to monkey around with central heating controls unless you have a badly installed or configured system. Or a lady in the house :D
  • DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    7 C this morning at 07.30, that is bloody cold for mid August. Really hope we have a warm September.
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Excellent I operate much better in the cold.
  • Mrs BBVMrs BBV Posts: 3,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have my Summer weight duvet on at the moment and I was so cold in the night I had to put a thick thow on the bed. I even ran to the loo and back it was so nippy! :o
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs BBV wrote: »
    I have my Summer weight duvet on at the moment and I was so cold in the night I had to put a thick thow on the bed. I even ran to the loo and back it was so nippy! :o

Ditto.:). I had to add a big thick fleece blanket to the bed last night and had to put on a pair of socks! Crazy. Two weeks ago I was sleeping with a fan running all night and no quilt at all.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    clear (cold) nights lead to lovely sunny mornings and that makes getting up at stupid o'clock and driving to work so much more bearable and more relaxing. I seemed to have missed a lot of this year's Summer though, I have been so busy that I haven't had a chance to enjoy it.
  • DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why people are celebrating the cold, its more expensive when its cold, the cost of energy is scary. Darker days = more lighting as well.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    That'll be what a thermostat is for.

I don't trust my thermostat. I think I'm a better judge of when the heating should come on that a little box on the wall.

At lest when mine is turned off for for 6 or 7 months each year I don't need to remember to turn it off when going away on holiday.
  • Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Much of Siberia has very warm summers though and it's a vast region so it depends on where they're talking about.

Yakutsk has average summer highs of 26C (higher than anywhere in the UK) and average winter lows of -40C.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    And the ones before that?

We had a cold winter the year before, but that tends to happen every now and again.
    Forum Member
    What was winter like that year?

What's that got to do with anything?
    Forum Member

Siberia has much better summers than us so don't see how that's relevant.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What was winter like that year?

http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~taharley/2006_weather.htm

Winter 2005-06 was slightly cooler than average, but dry. March 2006 was cold.

Winter 2006-07 was exceptionally mild.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coat and boots weather already.
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had a cold winter the year before, but that tends to happen every now and again.

We've had a number of record breaking cold winters recently.

Funnily enoug only ten years ago we were told by "experts" that our children might never see snow.