Options

Louie

AdsAds Posts: 37,057
Forum Member
Does any UK channel show this? Its getting rave reviews in most US tv critics' list of the best shows of 2011

Comments

• Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard a lot of good things about the show sadly it doesn't have a home here in the UK. Isn't it shown on FX in America? Could be a possible FXUK pick-up sometime next year.

I've seen bits and pieces of him doing stand up, he's quite funny at times but haven't seen enough to know just what he's like and how funny he really is and if i can relate.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I imagine this will go to Comedy Central as it seems to be similar in concept to Whitney and they picked that up.
  • Options
    Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    The show is phenomenal. It's not always funny, but I've loved every single episode so far.
    I imagine this will go to Comedy Central as it seems to be similar in concept to Whitney and they picked that up.
    It's really, really not. When Louie's not funny, it's deliberately not funny. When Whitney's not funny, it's because it's not a good show.

There aren't any shows you can compare it to, to be honest.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like others I've heard good things about this show but have not seen it. There are a couple of decent length clips on YouTube, including this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-55wC5dEnc which is a great scene.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    The show is phenomenal. It's not always funny, but I've loved every single episode so far.

It's really, really not. When Louie's not funny, it's deliberately not funny. When Whitney's not funny, it's because it's not a good show.

There aren't any shows you can compare it to, to be honest.

I said the concept was similar (sitcom based around the real life situations the creator of the show finds themselves in) not the final product. Obviously their not that similar but they have the same basic idea to set them up...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    another reason to stream/torrent
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was BY FAR the funniest show to air this year...alongside The Heart She Holler on Adult Swim. CK is the most relevant and original comic working today.

Just rip/torrent it and then pay for Louie's new stand-up...karma thanks you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I concur.

*slight spoilers*

The vagiteen/blueberries episode and the scene when Louie was looking at apartments and saw the bums being switched in the street absolutely killed me.

The thing I love about Louie is it's ballsy disregard for continuity and the cool stream-of-consciousness vibe it has.

Did you see Lucky Louie...his 2006 series? It's definitely worth a watch...it doesn't compare quality-wise but it's more of the same surreal-yet-homely, deadpan humour CK does so well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I said the concept was similar (sitcom based around the real life situations the creator of the show finds themselves in) not the final product. Obviously their not that similar but they have the same basic idea to set them up...
    The only similarity is that they're comedy shows based loosely on the star's stand-up act. But that's also true of Seinfeld, Roseanne, Home Improvement, The Cosby Show, Ellen, Lead Balloon and Miranda.

Anyway, the point is, if Comedy Central pick the show up it won't be because they think it will make a good partner for the asinine Whitney.
  • Options
    DJ SlipmattDJ Slipmatt Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't call it "phenomenal" but is definitely miles ahead of any British comedies from the last two years apart from "The Trip". It has a strong element of Seinfeld in it because unless I am wrong I think every episode either starts with or ends with some of his live stand up material.

But unlike Seinfeld he is much more realistic, world weary and introspective - but comes across as a really nice guy. Worth a watch.

I just think because I love Parks and Rec I'm not as much into this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't call it "phenomenal" but is definitely miles ahead of any British comedies from the last two years apart from "The Trip". It has a strong element of Seinfeld in it because unless I am wrong I think every episode either starts with or ends with some of his live stand up material.
    How many episodes have you seen? There are some without any stand-up material, IIRC.
    I just think because I love Parks and Rec I'm not as much into this.
    You can love both, like I do.

I liked Louis' character on Parks and Rec, it's a shame he hasn't returned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think i read louis ck is coming back to parks and rec for an episode this season
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How many episodes have you seen? There are some without any stand-up material, IIRC.

I liked Louis' character on Parks and Rec, it's a shame he hasn't returned.

I have seen the first 2 seasons. Just skimmed through the first 10 episodes and they all have some stand up in them usually at the beginning but some are straight into the story with the stand up at the end.

I liked him in P&R but that was the first time I had seen him. I was surprised when I got recommended his show and it was him as I didn't know he was a stand up.

I think that one of the major differences between English sitcoms and American sitcoms is that the American ones are of a consistent high standard and nearly all of the characters are well written and to a degree likeable.

Apart from Ryan in The Office and Funkhauser in Curb!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the problem is that Louie is a real acquired taste. But since it falls into the comedy bracket, at times it is not hilarious (though that's usually deliberate). I enjoy it a lot, but I probably know a handful of people who would dismiss it pretty early and call it crap because they weren't getting enough laughs.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I concur.

*slight spoilers*

The vagiteen/blueberries episode and the scene when Louie was looking at apartments and saw the bums being switched in the street absolutely killed me.

The thing I love about Louie is it's ballsy disregard for continuity and the cool stream-of-consciousness vibe it has.

Did you see Lucky Louie...his 2006 series? It's definitely worth a watch...it doesn't compare quality-wise but it's more of the same surreal-yet-homely, deadpan humour CK does so well.

I saw Lucky Louie first and have to say I was very sad at the break-up of the marriage in that :(

The most outstanding episode of Louie however involves
    the person getting run over in front of him
    which wasn't funny but yet still one of my highlights of the year :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    comedy central are still on season 6 of the office. meanwhile the rest of the world is on season 8. and they cut the supersized episodes. i wouldn't count on them doing right by anything except south park.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    Just rip/torrent it and then pay for Louie's new stand-up...karma thanks you.

Or buy the BD/DVD from Amazon US and his stand up show from his website.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    I was wondering around the other day and found and old video from the series Lucky Louie. I haven't watched that one, but It was funny to realize his "wife" is played by Pamela Adlon same actress in the 2010 series would play Pamela's character. :eek:

It was nice to find that out!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think the problem is that Louie is a real acquired taste. But since it falls into the comedy bracket, at times it is not hilarious (though that's usually deliberate). I enjoy it a lot, but I probably know a handful of people who would dismiss it pretty early and call it crap because they weren't getting enough laughs.

It's like Curb and Seinfeld though - that have never been given a proper chance in the UK.

I think it is criminal that Curb has never been given a regular mainstream channel watchable chance. Season 8!! has finished and it has never even been on channel 4 has it?
  • Options
    purpletoonlinkpurpletoonlink Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    I have seen the first 2 seasons. Just skimmed through the first 10 episodes and they all have some stand up in them usually at the beginning but some are straight into the story with the stand up at the end.

I liked him in P&R but that was the first time I had seen him. I was surprised when I got recommended his show and it was him as I didn't know he was a stand up.

I think that one of the major differences between English sitcoms and American sitcoms is that the American ones are of a consistent high standard and nearly all of the characters are well written and to a degree likeable.

Apart from Ryan in The Office and Funkhauser in Curb!

Who doesn't like Funk man?!
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »
    Does any UK channel show this? Its getting rave reviews in most US tv critics' list of the best shows of 2011

you could try finding it on 1channel

Hope that helps! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Who doesn't like Funk man?!

Me!!! It's the hairpiece, the plastic surgery but ultimately that disgusting and terrifying voice!

Having said that, even the character that I hate the most is perfectly cast and the stupid orphan does bring a lot to the show.

That is how quite sublimely brilliant Curb is I think it is a crime that it hasn't been shown on terrestrial TV.

Channel 4 obviously have the rights but instead choose to screen Phone Shop and Friday Night Dinner - I don't get it!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me!!! It's the hairpiece, the plastic surgery but ultimately that disgusting and terrifying voice!

Having said that, even the character that I hate the most is perfectly cast and the stupid orphan does bring a lot to the show.

That is how quite sublimely brilliant Curb is I think it is a crime that it hasn't been shown on terrestrial TV.

Channel 4 obviously have the rights but instead choose to screen Phone Shop and Friday Night Dinner - I don't get it!!!

phone shop is very poor but FND was excellent.

although nowhere near as good as curb but then again not many things are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    phone shop is very poor but FND was excellent.

although nowhere near as good as curb but then again not many things are.

That's cool and your opinion. From what I remember the pilot for Phone Shop had promise - then just turned shite.

I stuck with FND and found it worse than LTS and that was very bad IMO.

The only British sitcoms I have enjoyed since the last series of Peep Show are Getting On, The Trip and the criminally underrated and probably the closest Curb Britcom, Lead Balloon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's cool and your opinion. From what I remember the pilot for Phone Shop had promise - then just turned shite.

I stuck with FND and found it worse than LTS and that was very bad IMO.

The only British sitcoms I have enjoyed since the last series of Peep Show are Getting On, The Trip and the criminally underrated and probably the closest Curb Britcom, Lead Balloon.

LTS? (thats just not clicking)

peep show, the trip and lead ballon are all classics.

have you given him and her or how not to live your live a go?