Player Of The Year?

Comments

• circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    suarez for me, lots of goals,lots of assists whislt being in a team with a new manager and not complete squad, next year could be even better for him
  • carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,036
    Forum Member
    Osusana wrote: »
    I do think that some of the players vote on popularity as well as performance - Suarez should win their award but I don't think he will, nor Bale. Mata is a good shout - consistent and a nice bloke.
    Suarez for the Football Writers award maybe?

Yeah I'm of the same opinion that Suarez won't win the PFA award for the reason of not being popular enough with fellow pros even though he's had a really good season. My guess is RvP will win it especially when you consider that it's voted for quite early, so won't really have taken into account his goal scoring drying up a bit of late. Always thought the PFA should wait till the end of the season before voting, like the writers do.

I'm not even sure Suarez will get the Football Writers' Award, considering he doesn't seem popular with the press. Depends if they're looking at it objectively or not I guess.
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,509
    Forum Member
    Yeah I'm of the same opinion that Suarez won't win the PFA award for the reason of not being popular enough with fellow pros even though he's had a really good season. My guess is RvP will win it especially when you consider that it's voted for quite early, so won't really have taken into account his goal scoring drying up a bit of late. Always thought the PFA should wait till the end of the season before voting, like the writers do.

I'm not even sure Suarez will get the Football Writers' Award, considering he doesn't seem popular with the press. Depends if they're looking at it objectively or not I guess.

I had a long running email contact with Gordon Taylor on that very subject. He was adamant that the award is for player of the calendar year and not season and that it will not change:rolleyes:
  • Simon1984Simon1984 Posts: 5,792
    Forum Member
    Osusana wrote: »
    I had a long running email contact with Gordon Taylor on that very subject. He was adamant that the award is for player of the calendar year and not season and that it will not change:rolleyes:

Which beggars the question, why not present the award in January?
  • O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    The current premier league assists table is quite interesting, some selected ones,

1. Mata 10
    Rooney
    Walcott

4. Hazard 9
    Podolski

6. Gerrard 8
    Carlos Tevez
    Robin van Persie

15. Luis Suarez 5

Source: http://www.worldfootball.net/assists/eng-premier-league-2012-2013/

Not bad since he's perceived by some (many?) as just a poacher with little else to his game, at least from comments I've read before on here.
  • JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    O'Neill wrote: »
    The current premier league assists table is quite interesting, some selected ones,

1. Mata 10
    Rooney
    Walcott

4. Hazard 9
    Podolski

6. Gerrard 8
    Carlos Tevez
    Robin van Persie

15. Luis Suarez 5

Not bad since he's perceived by some (many?) as just a poacher with little else to his game, at least from comments I've read before on here.

I don't really see why anybody would or should take a comment seriously which is saying Van Persie is a poacher. That's just ridiculous and not even worth the time discussing.

It's almost as bad as how often it's brought up that Suarez isn't playing in an incredible team and how people act as if he's playing with a bunch of pub team players. He's surrounded by quality talent. It may not be as high of a level as some clubs, but he's still got good enough talent surrounding him. If this silly argument of "Oh, Suarez has done what he's done despite being surrounded by not many good players like the others!" is taken seriously, then it has to even more so for a player like Michu.

Michu for me, but it'll be Bale. Van Persie is the only one I expect stands any chance of beating him to it.
    Forum Member
    Simon1984 wrote: »
    Which beggars the question, why not present the award in January?

I asked him that too, he was evasive, my impression of that man is not favourable.
    He seemed to find my queries objectionable, as though I was attacking him and the PFA, I thought that they were reasonable. He stopped replying in the end, I'm probably on his block list :o
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

1. Mata 10
    Rooney
    Walcott

4. Hazard 9
    Podolski

6. Gerrard 8
    Carlos Tevez
    Robin van Persie

15. Luis Suarez 5

He's got plenty else to his game but he's certainly a better poacher than Suarez.

Suarez is a joy to watch though so even without the bias Id have to say him.
  • alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    I really do question the worth of analysing 'assists' - a very modern day invention.

Players can do a big hoof towards the box aimed at nobody in particular and if the striker somehow gets on the end of it and scores then it is an assist. Like wise the same is true of a free kick launched towards the box. Take the assist figures with a pinch of salt I say.

Such statistics can be made to show whatever you want I believe - I do not care what they say - for me RVP is not largely a player whose biggest skill is passing and finding a colleague who then scores. Yes he is an awesome player and for me his biggest asset is the way he can finish and also how he instinctively knows where to run to find space in the box. Its the kind of skill which almost cannot be coached - a player has it or not and RVP certainly has it. MUFC signing him has made the difference for them this season and will make them champions.

Many in the game say do not sign a 29 year old - what nonsense!! - if they are good enough and will make the difference in helping a team win the PL it would be stupid not to. SAF and MUFC realise that. Surely even the financial people who increasingly seem to make the big decisions at clubs these days shoud be able to see that a player who is the difference between a club winning the PL and not whether he is 29 or 19 is worth having for the way he will bring money into the club too - its not rocket science!!

Some less perceptive clubs (including LFC my club to a degree) just look at a players age and their possible resale value and so miss out on people who can make the difference between winning something and not.

Going back to assists tho I can recall 2 by LS which were out of this wortld - and maybe better than any goal he has scored.
    1) V Sunderland at home when he put Sterling in and
    2) V Swansea at home when he put Coutinho in

Both showed amazing vision to be able to see the possibilities and then to have the skill to carry it out with weight of pass showing an exquisite touch which made it easy for the receiver. I also recall a pass LS did to Sturridge at Arsenal of equal quality which sadly Daniel was not able to finish off - and I cannot recall RVP doing things as good as those altho I obviously have a better memory for incidents in LFC games than MUFC games!!

Btw I am able to admit that RVPs finishing is more clinical than LSs and maybe his taking up of positions in the box is also better (tho LS is good at that too) - despite LS now being 3 ahead on actual goals scored.

I will not be churlish tho - both are awesome players as is Bale too and if LS did not win player of the year it would not be the end of the world - just as long as he is given the praise and recognition his skill deserves - at the end of the day personal awards are not that important.

For me the one I would like to see him win is the Golden Boot as that is factual rather than someones opinion - objective rather than subjective and so for me more valuable.
  • DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definately between Suarez, Bale and Mata.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member

1. Mata 10
    Rooney
    Walcott

4. Hazard 9
    Podolski

6. Gerrard 8
    Carlos Tevez
    Robin van Persie

15. Luis Suarez 5

I find football websites to be generally inconsistent when it comes to assists. Each website you go on will give a different ranking. Some say Walcott has the most assists, a couple say RVP, Gerrard or Mata.The other day BR said that Gerrard is the league's top assister, and I'd assume he gets his statistics from Opta or some similar body.

It's a shame the Premier League don't keep an official authoritative list on their website anymore.

RVP is definitely not just a goal poacher though. He's a clinical finisher but also has so much more to his game due to his experience playing as a number 10 at Arsenal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clarification - some seem to think the voting has already taken place, picked this off the DM website today:

How does the PFA vote work?
    The PFA will send out ballot forms to all members next week asking for one nomination to win the Player of the Year award.
    Every professional footballer has a vote, with the only proviso being they cannot put forward a team-mate. They are also asked to submit a Young Player and All-Star Team for their division.
    A shortlist of six is then drawn up by an independent adjudicator, with the nominees being made public in the week prior to the ceremony on April 28. The player with the most votes is declared the winner, while those in second and third place are also announced.
    It is not to be confused with the Football Writers' Award - when around 400 print and broadcast journalists have a vote. The ceremony tends to take place soon after the PFA award, with Robin van Persie winning both personal accolades within three days last year.
    Forum Member
    ^ I'm sure it used to be done earlier than that. Even if the DM are correct though and this time it is being done next week it's still stupid with 2 months of the season to go.

If the votes are done next week though then I now think Bale will probably take it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ I'm sure it used to be done earlier than that. Even if the DM are correct though and this time it is being done next week it's still stupid with 2 months of the season to go.

If the votes are done next week though then I now think Bale will probably take it.

I don't think the voting has been done yet, it wouldn't be getting talked about so much in the media if it was a done deal.
    Forum Member
    ^ Yeah sounds like they've pushed the voting back thesedays, as it used to be ridiculously early. Still don't know why they don't just wait till May though.
    Forum Member
    0rch1deam wrote: »
    Clarification - some seem to think the voting has already taken place, picked this off the DM website today:

How does the PFA vote work?
    The PFA will send out ballot forms to all members next week asking for one nomination to win the Player of the Year award.
    Every professional footballer has a vote, with the only proviso being they cannot put forward a team-mate. They are also asked to submit a Young Player and All-Star Team for their division.
    A shortlist of six is then drawn up by an independent adjudicator, with the nominees being made public in the week prior to the ceremony on April 28. The player with the most votes is declared the winner, while those in second and third place are also announced.
    It is not to be confused with the Football Writers' Award - when around 400 print and broadcast journalists have a vote. The ceremony tends to take place soon after the PFA award, with Robin van Persie winning both personal accolades within three days last year.

Works that way except that this year the ballot papers were sent out in February (source DM which clashes with the article about papers being sent out now:confused:)- not sure when they had to be returned by?
    It used to be January as the PFA insist it is the player of the YEAR and not the season so far. I.e. from January 2012 to January 2013
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suarez would be my choice. Liverpool had a dreadful start to the season, but Suarez remained impressive. It's difficult to remember a single game where he has not contributed to a large extent and looked dangerous.
    I think as a rival supporter, a good test is who would I be most grateful NOT to see playing against my team, and for me that has to be Suarez.
  • shortiefluffshortiefluff Posts: 3,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suarez. All the way. Kept LFC going even when things were bad at the start of the season. He never complained about how bad things were and looks incredibly happy at the club. The fans love him, players love him and BR loves him so everything going great for him. He's contibuted more to LFC's cause than Bale and Van Persie have for their teams. I know they've done a lot but even when Suarez doesnt score he is doing something. Generally being a pest.

So imo there is only one winner-Suarez. Obvioulsy we know he wont get it due to the negativity surronding him but hopefully he does. If not the FWA should have his name already on it.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    Suarez getting the award will inevitably be followed by Piara Powar and the usual suspects declaring it to be a disgrace or something similarly hysterical.

Which makes it all the more better for him to win it.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Well the nominations are out or in or whatever for the PFA award and we have the following -

Player of the year

Bale
    Carrick
    Suarez
    Van Persie
    Hazard
    Mata

Young Player

Welbeck
    Wilshere
    Lukaku
    Bale
    Hazard
    Benteke

Some very strange choices there. Hazard in the senior vote? Welbeck and Wilshere in the Young player? No Baines or Michu in the seniors, no Rafael in the Young Player?

Also the qualification for Young Player really needs to be sorted out.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Bale doesn't win both, I will be very surprised indeed.

If Bale wasn't in the young one, from those listed, I would give it to Lukaku.

Also De Gea deservers a nomination, in the Young category, he has been excellent.
  • alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    Saw this thread and thought I'll go on it and tell them what I think - but on reading my long post at 85 I already have - :D - read that and thought it was spot on - I stand by every word.

Looking at the BBC web site this afternoon annoyed me a bit as after the nominations they have a big caption 'Carrick nominated for PFA award and a picture of MC' with nothing similar for the other 5 candidates.

Whats that about? - not MCs fault I don't suppose or even MU fans but it just seems wrong to me for an organisation to do that when it is meant to be impartial.

I am genuinely touched by the number of people saying LS should win it - and you may have a point - for myself all I would say is that he is a strong candidate and if he won it would be deserved but if RvP or Bale won I could not argue with that either or they too have been excellent.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suarez getting the award will inevitably be followed by Piara Powar and the usual suspects declaring it to be a disgrace or something similarly hysterical.

Which makes it all the more better for him to win it.

This award should be based purely on footballing ability & the impact of the said player in a particular season.

As a United fan, I almost despise Luis Suarez, but as a player, I cannot deny he has been magnificent for LFC & thoroughly deserves to be Player of the Year as far as I'm concerned.
    Forum Member
    This award should be based purely on footballing ability & the impact of the said player in a particular season.

As a United fan, I almost despise Luis Suarez, but as a player, I cannot deny he has been magnificent for LFC & thoroughly deserves to be Player of the Year as far as I'm concerned.

Couldn't agree more. Nasty bit of work in general but the Player of the Year this season so give him the award. That said this is the PFA award so it will be a clear indication of what his fellow pros think of him.

He should hoover up the other awards though.
    Forum Member
    Saw this thread and thought I'll go on it and tell them what I think - but on reading my long post at 85 I already have - :D - read that and thought it was spot on - I stand by every word.

Looking at the BBC web site this afternoon annoyed me a bit as after the nominations they have a big caption 'Carrick nominated for PFA award and a picture of MC' with nothing similar for the other 5 candidates.

Whats that about? - not MCs fault I don't suppose or even MU fans but it just seems wrong to me for an organisation to do that when it is meant to be impartial.

Just another example of the downward spiral the bbc website has been on for some time. We've drawn attention to this a few times at various points in the season. Expectation should no longer be high!