youview box branded talk talk

teletvteletv Posts: 1,743
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all.... my freeview PVR is slowly dying, and im considering buying a youview box, My local cash generator has several in stock but they are all branded talk talk.
Im currently with sky for my broadband, and tv services, but this box will be a bedroom box. I do have a couple of questions though.

1) As im a sky bb customer, i know i cant get the talk talk channels, but would the catch up services work?

2) If i decide to change my provider to say BT for example would the box work on BT for their channels?

3) Could talk talk decide to kill that box for any reason they choose?

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I am aware it works as standard YouView box if you don't subscribe to the extras that TalkTalk provide.

If you subscribe to BT TV they will send you one of their boxes for free anyway. Not entirely sure if a TalkTalk box will work with BT TV. All depends on what if any tinkering they do to the standard YouView firmware on these boxes.

Why would TalkTalk want to kill the box? Even if they could. All they can really do I suspect is bar access to the TalkTalk TV extras you would get with a subscription. And they don't necessarily need to do anything to the box to do that.
  • Cliff_HangerCliff_Hanger Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    I have BT infinity, it came with a BT Humax youview box, I have tried it in anther premises with plusnet broadband and all the normal catchup services work fine. All that is missing on Plusnet is the BT server that provides PPV material. At home on BT infinity, as well as the BT Youview box I also have three Talktalk Youview boxes purchased of Ebay at various times. All of the Youview boxes have the catchup services and also the access to the BT server, which provides the allready mentioned PPV stuff and also on all the boxes, the various BT internet TV services in SD and HD. I hope this gives you some idea of what will work.
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    teletv wrote: »
    My local cash generator has several in stock but they are all branded talk talk.
    What sort of price are they selling them for?
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To access the TalkTalk channels, you need to be a TalkTalk subscriber. Without going that far, it should work just as a retail YouView box would. That means, in short, that you should get the full Freeview+ HD package, two tuners and the catch-up services. On my TalkTalk box these are: BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4OD, Demand 5, Dave On Demand, Milkshake, Now TV, TalkTalk Player and TVX Flix. Obviously, you wouldn't get the TalkTalk Player, but I should think you will get the rest.
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd avoid Talk Talk boxes. You don't seem to be able to upgrade the disk to a larger one, and if you do a same size replacement it seems to be a real pain to get the thing formatted correctly and working again.

No media playback via usb either, but that goes for Youview in general.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kasg wrote: »
    What sort of price are they selling them for?

Got one for £40 at Huawei 320Gb which you cant really complain about at that price but I have seen them as much as £80 mind.
  • teletvteletv Posts: 1,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got one for £40 at Huawei 320Gb which you cant really complain about at that price but I have seen them as much as £80 mind.

£42.50
  • gremwgremw Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Upgraded my Huawei/TalkTalk box with a brand new 750gb disk in 5 minutes, no problems with it in last 6 months
  • standinmanstandinman Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    gremw wrote: »
    Upgraded my Huawei/TalkTalk box with a brand new 750gb disk in 5 minutes, no problems with it in last 6 months

Please help I tried to up grade the hard drive but with no luck ,so I'd be very interested how you did it !
  • scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    teletv wrote: »
    Hi all.... my freeview PVR is slowly dying, and im considering buying a youview box, My local cash generator has several in stock but they are all branded talk talk.
    ?

my local cash convertors has about 10 talk talk youview boxes in for about £40, and the non telephone branded ones at £100

No idea what the difference is
  • gremwgremw Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    standinman wrote: »
    Please help I tried to up grade the hard drive but with no luck ,so I'd be very interested how you did it !
    From what I remember I just removed the old drive, attached the new drive & powered on, wait a bit while it formats, maybe I was lucky! The fiddliest bit was getting the screws out & clipping the case back together