Options

Who the hell do Radio 1 think they are!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
Forum Member
Apologies for the rant, and would love to see what the general opinion on Radio 1 is and what the supposed demographic these days. (I'm fully aware that this thread will attract a fair amount of trolling).

I very much consider myself to still be within Radio 1's age group and core audience, being far too young for Radio 2, however, their music now mainly consists of 1 or 2 genres which seems to be that infuriating Duke Dumont, Route 94 sound. It's very infrequent that they will now play anything in the breakthrough pop (not Beyonce, Rihanna etc), rock or indie. Even although the amount of tracks getting put out just now by artists in these genres is vast.

As a DJ, I cannot rely on Radio 1 anymore to give me a heads up on what is hot and what people will want to hear, whereas even as little as 3 years ago, they were the only station who would garuntee to hit the nail on the head with what people would request on a night out sometimes months in advance. I have never had anyone ask for Duke Dumont or Route 94 (as an example - but totally not restricted to them).

I know I could just change radio station, and that's not the point at all. After all, we all pay for the BBC, and theirs is still the one which the Beep refer to as for the clubbing generation.

If Radio 1's target audience isn't me, then if you are 16-25 do you listen to it? What do you think of the music they play?

Comments

• Options
    SayWhat...SayWhat... Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Completely agree with everything you said. It's the fact that when they "discover" an artist that they could take credit for finding, they play and play and play their tracks until people pay attention to them (Jake Bugg is the one that I think this has happened with ).

The only Dj I can listen to on Radio 1 at the moment is Scott Mills. I think he's brilliant and especially with Chris Stark. Nick Grimshaw irritates me ( mostly because of his style of presenting himself ) and tends to play the same genre of music each morning.

There's so much more out there to listen to other than the typical chart music at the minute. I'm 18 and the music they have on their playlists just does not interest me.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've listened since day 1 (1967), or thereabouts and I've suddenly realised that they do play a lot of rubbish (to my ears). I try radio 2 which is fine for a couple of songs then they play some rubbish from the 70s. Radio 6 seems the best option but I can't always get digital radio and certainly not my van. The 2 tracks you mention are dire and I'm suprised at the rubbish that Zane Lowe often plays now. He used to play stuff not heard during the day but now he seems to play a lot of this bland club/house music that would have been crap in the early 90s,let alone now. John Peel would be turning in his grave.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would rather rely on the algorithm of Last FM or Deezer (or similar service) for music discovery than the shite that is Radio 1.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SayWhat... wrote: »
    Completely agree with everything you said. It's the fact that when they "discover" an artist that they could take credit for finding, they play and play and play their tracks until people pay attention to them (Jake Bugg is the one that I think this has happened with ).

The only Dj I can listen to on Radio 1 at the moment is Scott Mills. I think he's brilliant and especially with Chris Stark. Nick Grimshaw irritates me ( mostly because of his style of presenting himself ) and tends to play the same genre of music each morning.

There's so much more out there to listen to other than the typical chart music at the minute. I'm 18 and the music they have on their playlists just does not interest me.

And I agree too. When Scott is on in the mornings it's great, but I miss Chris Moyles and even Fearne Cotton grates on me now. Greg is alright though.
  • Options
    thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just because you are in radio ones target age range does not mean it is going to appeal to everyone in that age group, that would just be impossible. This is not a new thing, I stopped listening to Radio one in my late teens/early twenties because the music generally didn't appeal to me and that was 20 years ago! (god I feel old now!)

To say that the radio one should appeal to your tastes because you pay the license fee is quite a daft comment, after all the license fee pays for all the other BBC radio stations, including your local station.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just because you are in radio ones target age range does not mean it is going to appeal to everyone in that age group, that would just be impossible. This is not a new thing, I stopped listening to Radio one in my late teens/early twenties because the music generally didn't appeal to me and that was 20 years ago! (god I feel old now!)

To say that the radio one should appeal to your tastes because you pay the license fee is quite a daft comment, after all the license fee pays for all the other BBC radio stations, including your local station.

I totally understand what you mean, but surely they should be representing the majority of their demographic and not a minority with at least half of their playlist. I honestly would find it difficult to pick out 5 tracks on it right now that the club I play in (to over 1000 every week) would be interested in. That's a pretty huge chunk of people.

I also put this same thing on my Facebook earlier and nobody even admitted to liking Radio 1. Which is very very sad. As I grew up with it and Zane Lowe. In actual fact Zane Lowe introduced me to hundreds of really cool artists who have gone on to become massive artists since back then. He doesn't now and I cannot name anyone he has had on before mainstream that have become huge recently (at least the past year).

Also, I don't think its a silly comment at all. At the end of the day, they say Radio 1 is still their flagship radio station. If that is the case, it should be easy to enjoy it and accessible to anyone who they target. I'm not demanding they play the music I like. But they should be a cut above commercial stations and should lead the way. I don't feel like they do.
  • Options
    thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To quote Oscar Wilde

“To be popular one must be a mediocrity."

Kind of sums up Radio One and the majority of the charts.
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At 24 I fall into the Radio One demographic too, but I know I won't like some of what they play or talk about so I just don't listen to it. I don't have the opportunity to listen to the radio very much, only if I'm in someone else's car and they have it on really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This is really interesting and from the BBC website. To me current Radio 1 doesn't match the description below.

Radio 1
    The remit of Radio 1 is to entertain and engage a broad range of young listeners with a distinctive mix of contemporary music and speech. Its target audience is 15-29 year olds and it should also provide some programming for younger teenagers. It should offer a range of new music, support emerging artists - especially those from the UK - and provide a platform for live music. News, documentaries and advice campaigns should cover areas of relevance to young adults.

1Xtra
    The remit of 1Xtra is to play the best in contemporary black music with a strong emphasis on live music and supporting new UK artists. The schedule should also offer a bespoke news service, regular discussion programmes and specially commissioned documentaries relevant to the young target audience (15-24 year olds), particularly - although not exclusively - those from ethnic minorities.

Radio 2
    The remit of Radio 2 is to be a distinctive mixed music and speech service, targeted at a broad audience, appealing to all age groups over 35. It should offer entertaining popular music programmes and speech-based content including news, current affairs, documentaries, religion, arts, comedy, readings and social action output.

Radio 3
    The remit of Radio 3 is to offer a mix of music and cultural programming in order to engage and entertain its audience. Around its core proposition of classical music, its speech-based programming should inform and educate the audience about music and culture. Jazz, world music, drama, the arts and ideas and religious programming should feature in its output. The service should appeal to listeners of any age seeking to expand their cultural horizons through engagement with the world of music and the arts.

Radio 4
    The remit of Radio 4 is to be a mixed speech service, offering in-depth news and current affairs and a wide range of other speech output including drama, readings, comedy, factual and magazine programmes. The service should appeal to listeners seeking intelligent programmes in many genres which inform, educate and entertain.

4 Extra
    The remit of Radio 4 Extra is to provide speech-based entertainment. Its schedule should include comedy, drama, stories, features, readings and programmes that appeal to children. Most output should come from the BBC archive, but the station should commission some original content, particularly of types of output rarely found on BBC Radio.

5 Live
    The remit of BBC Radio 5 Live is to provide live news and sports coverage. It should be BBC Radio's main outlet for breaking news by bringing its audience major news stories as they happen. It should provide context to its news and sports coverage through wide-ranging analysis and discussion. Programming should be designed to inform, entertain and involve. The service should appeal to news and sports fans of all ages and from all ethnic backgrounds and areas across the UK.

5 Live Sports Extra
    The remit of BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra is to bring a greater choice of live action to sports fans by offering a part-time extension of BBC Radio 5 Live. The service should aim to provide increased value for licence fee payers from the portfolio of sports Live already owned by the BBC by offering alternative coverage to that provided on other UK-wide BBC services. All output on 5 Live Sports Extra should be live sports coverage.

6 Music
    The remit of BBC 6 Music is to entertain lovers of popular music with a service that celebrates the alternative spirit in popular music from the 1960s to the present day. Its programmes juxtapose current releases outside the mainstream with earlier recordings, including music from the BBC Sound Archive. It should provide context for the music it plays, and support live music and new artists.

Asian Network
    The remit of BBC Asian Network is to provide speech and music output appealing to British Asians, with a strong focus on news and current affairs. It should be primarily in English, but some programming should be provided in a range of South Asian languages. The primary target audience is British Asians under 35 but the station should also appeal to anyone with an interest in British Asian issues, music and culture.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    radio one is now the most snobbish clueless station out there. its even managed to seep its poisen into 1xtra - which has now also been ruined, used to rely on 1xtra for classic 'urban music' and loads of new stuff and stuff which only got airplay in america but found its way onto 1xtra, these days that f**king clean bandit song somehow gets regular circulation ON THE A LIST OF 1XTRA!! what on earth is that all about ?! as if they didnt play it into a coma on radio one enough.
    cant bear to listen to either stations anymore.
    and the ageism against females displayed on radio one does not sit right with me at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aura101 wrote: »
    radio one is now the most snobbish clueless station out there. its even managed to seep its poisen into 1xtra - which has now also been ruined, used to rely on 1xtra for classic 'urban music' and loads of new stuff and stuff which only got airplay in america but found its way onto 1xtra, these days that f**king clean bandit song somehow gets regular circulation ON THE A LIST OF 1XTRA!! what on earth is that all about ?! as if they didnt play it into a coma on radio one enough.
    cant bear to listen to either stations anymore.
    and the ageism against females displayed on radio one does not sit right with me at all.

I couldn't agree more with this.

Back before the new controller took over, Radio 1 would play top 40, and future top 40 hits. They were the cream of the crop because you got massive exclusives ages in advance from the biggest artists. They were also miles ahead of the commercial stations when it came to picking up emerging artists first that went on to become huge stars. You cannot tell me Clean Bandit will become the next Coldplay. I wouldn't believe you.

1 Xtra was the edgier little sister, that hit it harder with more Hip Hop, RnB. Never in a million years would they have playlisted Clean bandit or Route 94. Just wouldn't have happened.
  • Options
    MissliMissli Posts: 3,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio 6 is much preferable apart from a few select cable music channels.
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    DarrenPop wrote: »
    but surely they should be representing the majority of their demographic and not a minority with at least half of their playlist.

If their demographic is defined solely by age range, then I'm guessing that's impossible.

Looking at the Arbitron ratings for my city, the most popular radio format is Country radio (not surprising for a US city). Yet "most popular" in this case means it has a 9.7% share (all other radio stations in town have fewer than that).

There's just no way to appeal to 50% of a given age range.. musical tastes are too diverse.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if Radio 1 have just shifted their rock/indie output over to R6??
    I think/ hope there will be improvements to R1 when management change. The news that Grimmy is due to stay for several more years is depressing though...
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=boddism;72136489]I wonder if Radio 1 have just shifted their rock/indie output over to R6??
    I think/ hope there will be improvements to R1 when management change. The news that Grimmy is due to stay for several more years is depressing though...[/QUOTE]

There is virtually no rock output on 6 Music now.

Bruce Dickinson used to have a Rock Show on 6 Music, but despite being the most listened to show on 6 Music he was dropped so they could give Tom Ravenscroft, John Peel's son, a show with the bland assurance that the music played on Bruce's show would be covered across the other programmes which, of course, it never was.

Their Rock music coverage has been virtually non-existant ever since.

As a rock fan Radio 1 was irrelevant to me when I was 16 some 35 years ago, apart from Tommy Vance's legendary Friday Rock Show, and it would remain the case if I were 16 today.
  • Options
    RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most depressing thing is when Radio 1 do decide to back a 'rock or indie' horse it's always something completely shite like Nickelback, Imagine Dragons or Kodaline. Which is an even bigger slap to the face.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rocketpop wrote: »
    The most depressing thing is when Radio 1 do decide to back a 'rock or indie' horse it's always something completely shite like Nickelback, Imagine Dragons or Kodaline. Which is an even bigger slap to the face.

I saw Halestorm in Birmingham on Monday at the O2 Academy which was sold out, I think the capacity is @ 3000.

Of those 3000 the Radio 1 target audience would have been @ 75%, as a conservative guess, with well over 50% female and yet those in charge of Radio 1 would tell you there is no demand for Rock music within their target demographic. :confused:

I'm going to see Delain & Within Temptation @ Wembley Arena on Saturday and it would be a reasonable assumption to assume the makeup of the audience then will be similar.

I'm not suggesting at all that Radio 1s output should consist entirely of Rock music, but they are certainly not representing the music taste of many of their target audience at the moment.
  • Options
    RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw Halestorm in Birmingham on Monday at the O2 Academy which was sold out, I think the capacity is @ 3000.

Of those 3000 the Radio 1 target audience would have been @ 75%, as a conservative guess, with well over 50% female and yet those in charge of Radio 1 would tell you there is no demand for Rock music within their target demographic. :confused:

I'm going to see Delain & Within Temptation @ Wembley Arena on Saturday and it would be a reasonable assumption to assume the makeup of the audience then will be similar.

I'm not suggesting at all that Radio 1s output should consist entirely of Rock music, but they are certainly not representing the music taste of many of their target audience at the moment.

Yep. I'll be going to The Great Escape festival at Brighton next month (which showcases new acts from the UK and foreign bands), been going there for the last 5 years and a good 75% of acts there are in the rock/indie category.
  • Options
    sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    even as a teenager couldn't stand radio 1 I am now in my late twenties they just play rubbish I prefer radio 2 but after a few good songs they'll play some rubbish.
    There are some good documentaries though.
  • Options
    StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone whose music taste is BASED IN dance, electronica, trance etc music and indie electronia, I cannot see why the Route 94 song was playlisted. (much less what Jess Glynne did on the song considering she sang so much on the Clean Bandit one)

Crappy instrumental house basically that might have been used as an opening track for a set before the actual DJ came on 10 or 15 years ago. That's all I can say about it. #1...that shocked me.

Radio 1 3 years ago tried to skew younger and aimed directly at appealing just to a young audience. Within the last year or 2 its u-turned and aimed most of its output at a hipster audience. Just don't think its quite the right approach and the two approaches together (which are still goingto an extent) are a bit jarring.

Which is a shame, because radio 1 has aimed for a slightly 'indie' audience before without alienating the pop audience (around the time MGMT debuted and Rihanna was getting big). That time I'm pretty sure they stayed mainly pop but dropped some indie tunes in every now and then. This time round they've gone full-on hipster and just drop in some pop, rock etc now and then - and that's not what people want from Radio 1.
  • Options
    daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    DarrenPop wrote: »
    This is really interesting and from the BBC website. To me current Radio 1 doesn't match the description below.

Radio 1
    The remit of Radio 1 is to entertain and engage a broad range of young listeners with a distinctive mix of contemporary music and speech. Its target audience is 15-29 year olds and it should also provide some programming for younger teenagers. It should offer a range of new music, support emerging artists - especially those from the UK - and provide a platform for live music. News, documentaries and advice campaigns should cover areas of relevance to young adults.

As somewhat of a fan of Radio 1 (certainly better than a lot of other stations), I would say this description pretty much covers it. They certainly champion new music, with their specialist shows particularly, but also with the odd song on their daytime shows. They definitely provide a platform for live music, with the Live Lounge (both day and night time), sessions, Big Weekend, their Christmas introducing gigs etc. They're not of particular interest to me, but they do also do documentaries and news specials.

There is definitely a mix of genres played - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03z332r

A list of songs played on Fearne Cotton's show yesterday, with pop, urban, dance, indie/rock all covered.

Fair enough if you don't like the music they play, of course that's naturally going to happen, but I don't think the issue is that bad. The only issue I do have with Radio 1 is that seemingly, someone above the age of X no longer appeals to young people. It's just a bizarre logic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    Does Simon Bates still do Our Tune?
  • Options
    ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In actual fact Zane Lowe introduced me to hundreds of really cool artists who have gone on to become massive artists since back then. He doesn't now and I cannot name anyone he has had on before mainstream that have become huge recently (at least the past year).

Well he did play Clean Bandit's Rather Be ages b4 it became big.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's exactly what you'd expect a tax funded advertising platform to be.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is virtually no rock output on 6 Music now.

Bruce Dickinson used to have a Rock Show on 6 Music, but despite being the most listened to show on 6 Music he was dropped so they could give Tom Ravenscroft, John Peel's son, a show with the bland assurance that the music played on Bruce's show would be covered across the other programmes which, of course, it never was.

Their Rock music coverage has been virtually non-existant ever since.

As a rock fan Radio 1 was irrelevant to me when I was 16 some 35 years ago, apart from Tommy Vance's legendary Friday Rock Show, and it would remain the case if I were 16 today.

So true. Planet Rock and Kerrang are the only Radio stations I really want to listen to. Radio 2 is ok at times but you can keep Radio 1 and the rubbish thats on there.