Options

Do you regret the things you did do in life or the things you didn't do?

Danny_GirlDanny_Girl Posts: 2,763
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Read today that when people are assessing their lives they regret the things they could have done but didn't more than they regret the things they did do but possibly shouldn't have.

Is this true?

Comments

• Options
    Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    I regret both.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Danny_Girl wrote: »
    Read today that when people are assessing their lives they regret the things they could have done but didn't more than they regret the things they did do but possibly shouldn't have.

Is this true?

It's a self-fulfilling saying, isn't it?

It is very easy for people to fantasise about the things they didn't do going swimmingly well if only they had actually done them.

Of course, they tend to overlook the fact that the very same failings that caused their inaction would have led to even greater regrets if they had ballsed up these things by actually trying them.
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It is very easy for people to fantasise about the things they didn't do going swimmingly well if only they had actually done them.

Of course, they tend to overlook the fact that the very same failings that caused their inaction would have led to even greater regrets if they had ballsed up these things by actually trying them.

This post verges on genius.

Well, philosophical awareness at the very least.

My answer to the OP is no.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Joni M wrote: »
    This post verges on genius.

Well, philosophical awareness at the very least.

My answer to the OP is no.

Maybe I should drink on a Wednesday more often.:blush:

Will you marry me?
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    I think most people will ultimately regret both.
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe I should drink on a Wednesday more often.:blush:

Will you marry me?

I'm a redheaded Scouser, you'd hate me :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Joni M wrote: »
    I'm a redheaded Scouser, you'd hate me :D

Ar, heh.

So, by default, I have to file that marriage in the 'Things I regret not having done' box? :D
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    I think most people will ultimately regret both.

That is true but when all is said and done, I can't complain.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

True.
    You could say that taking the choice to not do something is taking a course of action in itself.

I'd also add that the severity of regret for doing something would be much stronger if it had extreme consequences. For example accidentally killing somebody because you made a bad choice.

If you simply didn't live your dream of swimming with dolphins your regret would be more a case of "Oh well, that's a shame",
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that I regret more what I didn't do, as the things that I did do that were hurtful to me or someone else or silly etc were lessons for me to learn from.