Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    I'm not irate, just puzzled!

The exclamation mark makes you sound a bit mad about it. :kitty:

I tip, therefore I am. ;-)
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    I tip my hairdresser, the lady who does my nails, cab drivers, waiters/waitresses.
    At Christmas time, the bin men and window cleaner.

We give our mobile hairdresser a little extra at Christmas. Sometimes I let the cab driver keep the change, but if it's a round figure I don't bother. Don't tip anyone else.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Tipping tells you a hell of a lot about a person's character.

I am not quite getting what you mean here.

I tip well and some of my friends say I tip too much.
    I was brought up by parents who tipped, so maybe that is why it is normal for me to tip.

I do have friends who will not ever tip anyone and I just feel they are entitled to do whatever without me thinking badly of them, like I hope they do not think badly of me for tipping.

We did go out with some people on holiday for a meal, I saw the bloke go back to or table and pick up the 5 euro note and just leave the change.
    I had out the 5 euros down as a tip and they had put some coins down.
    At the time the bloke said my tip was too much, but I had been well chuffed with all about the evening out and it was 10 percent of our share.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am not quite getting what you mean here.

I tip well and some of my friends say I tip too much.
    I was brought up by parents who tipped, so maybe that is why it is normal for me to tip.

I do have friends who will not ever tip anyone and I just feel they are entitled to do whatever without me thinking badly of them, like I hope they do not think badly of me for tipping.

We did go out with some people on holiday for a meal, I saw the bloke go back to or table and pick up the 5 euro note and just leave the change.
    I had out the 5 euros down as a tip and they had put some coins down.
    At the time the bloke said my tip was too much, but I had been well chuffed with all about the evening out and it was 10 percent of our share.

I'm a bit confused here. Who is "the bloke"?
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always tip around the 10% mark but I am surprised at the amount of people who don't.

We went out for a work lunch recently and, when the bill came up, we split it and I said to all put in a £1 each for the tip. Several people actually said 'I'm not putting another pound in' and point blank refused. It ended up a couple of us chucking in a bit extra as we felt guilty not leaving a half decent tip.

I prefer the attitude to tipping that you get in Southern Europe where you just leave the change rather than an expected amount. That gives you more of the choice to either just leave the small change for average service or chuck in an extra few Euros for something a bit better
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    I always tip around the 10% mark but I am surprised at the amount of people who don't.

We went out for a work lunch recently and, when the bill came up, we split it and I said to all put in a £1 each for the tip. Several people actually said 'I'm not putting another pound in' and point blank refused. It ended up a couple of us chucking in a bit extra as we felt guilty not leaving a half decent tip.
    There was no need to feel guilty - tipping should surely be up to the individual.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dosanjh1 wrote: »
    The only reason I tip is to make myself look like a big shot. I make a gun shot with my fingers, I given em a wink, I click my tongue and say "keep the change, buddy":cool:
    I do the same when I flash my bus pass at the driver :p
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rowdy wrote: »
    Yeah, 10%.

If DS is a reasonable cross-section of the British public, then it seems not.

About 30 years ago, when Portugal still had the Escudo, I was in a restaurant between Portimao and Lagos with 3 friends.
    Four British guys at another table, after a lunch of a salad starter, fish or lamb chops for a main, some fruit for dessert, plus wine, beers and coffee, left the equivalent of 30p as a tip, for four of them!
    It was a long time ago, but as I recall, our bill for four was about £10 or £11, the Escudo rate at the time was about 115 to the pound, we left 200 Escudos.
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,046
    Forum Member
    I'll tip if the service merits it. Last week we went out for a meal, and the service was shambolic, concluding with it taking over 20 minutes and three requests to get the bill. I didn't tip.

If I'm abroad, I'll find out what the local custom is ahead of time. I don't like the US attitude (where tips are taken off the minimum wage), but I'm not going to be an arse about it.
  • Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We usually tip about 10% - probably just a habit from when we've been in the USA. I also think it's nice to tip, especially if the person has done a good job and put a bit of effort in.

I used to work in all sorts of jobs as a student and honestly, if someone left a £3 tip it used to make my day! I do think it's very much appreciated if you can afford it :)
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Blubeckers in Shepperton.

As we were being seated, a bunch of suits were settling their bill. They all chipped in and left money as a tip as they were leaving. Two minutes later, one of the suits came back in, went up to the table, snatched the tip money, pocketed it and walked out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was no need to feel guilty - tipping should surely be up to the individual.

Yes it is up to the individual but I felt bad walking away from that table without leaving a reasonable tip as I felt the service warranted it. I think I was just more surprised by other peoples 'I don't do tips' attitude which just isn't the way I do things.
    I do have to say, and this isn't a blanket criticism, but it was only the younger ones who refused to tip and the older ones who threw in a bit extra so maybe it is a generational thing
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tip my barber.
    I tip taxi drivers by rounding up.
    I tip good restaurant service (not run of the mill chain pub grub)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Yes it is up to the individual but I felt bad walking away from that table without leaving a reasonable tip as I felt the service warranted it. I think I was just more surprised by other peoples 'I don't do tips' attitude which just isn't the way I do things.
    I do have to say, and this isn't a blanket criticism, but it was only the younger ones who refused to tip and the older ones who threw in a bit extra so maybe it is a generational thing

Yes, it probably is a generational thing. Which doesn't say anything bad about the younger generation, it merely shows that the custom of tipping is gradually dying out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AnnieBaker wrote: »
    We usually tip about 10% - probably just a habit from when we've been in the USA. I also think it's nice to tip, especially if the person has done a good job and put a bit of effort in.

I used to work in all sorts of jobs as a student and honestly, if someone left a £3 tip it used to make my day! I do think it's very much appreciated if you can afford it :)

I'm sure it is, but why should certain categories of people be rewarded by their customers for just doing their job well, while others who work equally hard at their jobs never are? It's not very logical.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a bit confused here. Who is "the bloke"?

We went out with a married couple, 'the bloke' was her husband, not my bloke/husband :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We went out with a married couple, 'the bloke' was her husband, not my bloke/husband :)

Oh right. I was wondering if you meant the waiter!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it probably is a generational thing. Which doesn't say anything bad about the younger generation, it merely shows that the custom of tipping is gradually dying out.

I do wonder whether the fact that more under 30's now have gone to university, run up large student debts and are used to having to watch their money more has contributed to this? The younger people at work are far more sensible with money than us over 40's ever were at their age.

But that's probably a whole other discussion :)
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely hate the entire servant/master ethos behind tipping, finding it both embarrassing and demeaning to both parties. I simply want to know how much something costs and pay someone for doing that job. I will always favour any cafe where they state that a service charge is included in the bill. The only exception I make is for prostitutes.
  • Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure it is, but why should certain categories of people be rewarded by their customers for just doing their job well, while others who work equally hard at their jobs never are? It's not very logical.

I guess it's the people who give you a personal service who get the tips. Also, these people can

For example, a baker at Tesco is expected to bake a certain quantity and quality of bread, and is paid if he reaches his targets.

A waitress can take your order, drop off your ordered food and drinks and give you the bill - she has done her job.
    OR she can make sure you are happy with your meal, ask if you want anything else, keep waiting times to a reasonable level, smile and interact with the children. A few pounds to show your appreciation are merited in this case, perhaps?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    I absolutely hate the entire servant/master ethos behind tipping, finding it both embarrassing and demeaning to both parties. I simply want to know how much something costs and pay someone for doing that job. I will always favour any cafe where they state that a service charge is included in the bill.
    I agree. Not that there's any real need for a "service charge", as that should be included in the advertised cost of the meal.
    The only exception I make is for prostitutes.
    :)
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    I tip anyone who gives me a good service and I consider them to likely be on or close to minimum wage.

Tipping tells you a hell of a lot about a person's character.

Do you tip shop staff who are on near minimum wage or are you a selective tipper?

Tipping tells you absolutely nothing about a persons character
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's surprising as you'd think the youngsters would have more recent experience of waiting and how much difference the tips can make.
  • Options
    FoxywarriorFoxywarrior Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    I object if the service charge is included in the bill such as at a restaurant.
    I always tip but why should I be made to tip?