Options

Small pets and Smokers...........

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
Forum Member
Hello everyone,

I am thinking about getting a Roborovski Dwarf Hamster (or rather 2). Only I wanted to run it by some people with experience first because I live with a smoker........ and would it be completely wrong of me to get a tiny animal and expect it to live in the same house as a smoker? Would it be bad for it or shorten its life span? Because it if did then I wouldn't get them.

What do people think? I wouldn't keep the hamster in the same room as the smoker, and the smoker only smokes in one room of the house..........

I've been trying to google for info but haven't found much..........

Comments

• Options
    deadbeat herodeadbeat hero Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well, it's obviously not ideal but if there is a little common sense exercised then it shouldn't be an issue. As long as the smoking is in a different part of the house you should be fine.

Just don't tempt fate by naming them Roy & Castle.
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They might not live very long if you smoke around them.
  • Options
    ginockginock Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I smoke in my flat but my hamster is in a different room and I always have a window up, as others have said, I think as long are you don't smoke too close it should be okay.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    I stopped smoking about a month after we got Dwarf hamsters. I had noticed when we picked up Bungle that his white fur underneath was turning yellow and worried that it was cos of my smoking.

My partner later told me it was probably pee rather than nicotine but that was enough to scare me at the time. I thnk as long as you don't smoke around them they will be okay.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had to giggle at that. There are many good reasons for giving up smoking, but I think "because my hamster's fur was turning yellow" wins the prize. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    :D

Hey it's 8 years later and I'm a full non-smoker still!!
  • Options
    River_TamRiver_Tam Posts: 10,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    because my hamster was turning yellow is the best reason for stopping smoking I've ever heard.

My rescued guinea pig used to live with a house with a smoker his lungs are quite badly affected, the guinea pig who lived with him the whole time is perfectly fine. it depends on the animal's own health really.
  • Options
    Doll FeetDoll Feet Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my childhood I knew very few people who didn't smoke and hamsters were a popular pet. The life expectancy was the same then as it is now.
  • Options
    xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    never had a problem in this house.

i don;t smoke myself, but my hamsters were always happy and healthy

same with the dogs and budgie.