Options

iPlayer update for Panasonic?

Comments

• Options
    M60M60 Posts: 5,597
    Forum Member
    twigsby wrote: »
    I have tried that and nothing is available. So I suppose yet another wait.

They told me yesterday that the OTA updates commence 7th until 13th Sept for the G10's and 20th - 24th for the G15's so you've not long to wait.
  • Options
    HumidHumid Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M60 wrote: »
    They told me yesterday that the OTA updates commence 7th until 13th Sept for the G10's and 20th - 24th for the G15's so you've not long to wait.

I've got a G10, but I'm away on those dates. Are they repeated?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Humid wrote: »

Hi, I also have a G10 37" and the iPlayer is working on it since yesterday evening. I went into Vieracast and got a Yes/No message to update the software. It took quite a while to download & install but once completed (the last step is to power OFF then ON the TV) the iPlayer was avaialble via the Red Button on 7001.

Great
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    msimmons,

how did you manage that? I've got a TX-L37G10 and don't even have a VieraCast button on the remote. How did you manage to access it? Thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    EMcG67 wrote: »
    msimmons,

how did you manage that? I've got a TX-L37G10 and don't even have a VieraCast button on the remote. How did you manage to access it? Thanks.

Hi,

My model is TX-L37G10B and it definitely has the Vieracast button on the remote. I'm at work now so can't get you the remote sku#.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    I can see 'Viera Tools' and a 'Viera Link' buttons - just above the central 'OK' button but no 'VieraCast' on my remote.

Looks like THIS
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    msimmons wrote: »
    Hi,

My model is TX-L37G10B and it definitely has the Vieracast button on the remote. I'm at work now so can't get you the remote sku#.

sure it's not a G15 or a V10? the G10 does not have vieracast.
  • Options
    nwhitfieldnwhitfield Posts: 4,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The G10 series doesn't have VieraCast. I think msimmons must be mistaken on the model;
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Humid wrote: »

just make sure you've got "auto update search in standby" set to "on" and leave your TV in standby while you're away - It'll be done when you get home! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nwhitfield wrote: »
    The G10 series doesn't have VieraCast. I think msimmons must be mistaken on the model;

mwhitfield, you're correct, my model is the V10 - I shouldn't rely on my memory:confused:

sorry for the confusion..... I'll get my coat!
  • Options
    The Great 208The Great 208 Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just updated my G15 and I successfully got it - pretty good PQ to be honest - looks comparable to SD Freesat/SKY
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    M60 wrote: »

This going to be via Freeview or Freesat? My telly isn't currenlty hooked up to the dish as my sky box uses it. Don't really want to miss the update although I'm not in a rush as I've got iPlayer via my PS3.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I've just updated the software on my G15 to v2.103. BBC iPlayer is now available via the red button when watching BBC on Freesat.

The software update takes about 10 minutes (enough time to put the kettle on and make a cup of tea) with a power cycle required half way through.

I have to say that I am very impressed with the picture quality. The standard quality stream I would say is very watchable and the higher quality stream is comparable to SD pictgure quality on Sky. It certainly isn't high definition but is much better than IK was expecting.
  • Options
    GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiffler wrote: »
    This going to be via Freeview or Freesat? My telly isn't currenlty hooked up to the dish as my sky box uses it. Don't really want to miss the update although I'm not in a rush as I've got iPlayer via my PS3.

It will be via the satellite feed so you will need to get it connected to your dish. Also a satellite connection is necessary for iplayer to work as the MHEG application will only work on a freesat delivered BBC channel.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've downloaded the update on my G15, and I can get to the iPlayer menus with no problem, but I'm confronted with a black screen whenever I try to play any programmes (either standard or high quality) - the programmes never start. I have to press exit to return to the normal TV channel, as none of the colour buttons do anything at this point, and more often than not the iPlayer menus crash if I try to access them again after a programme has failed to start. I have to change channels to get the iPlayer menus working again.

Viera Cast content plays fine (Youtube etc), and the iPlayer menus themselves work fine so there is clearly no problem with the network connection.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?
  • Options
    GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How long are you giving the black screen to progress? mine can take 15 to 20 seconds to advance to the playout stage, possibly depending on the demand from the server. Pressing other buttons may cause the unit to trip up and fail for other reasons.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    At least you guys have i-player, I rang Panasonic yesterday to ask about the BluRay recorders and was told that there were no plans to release the firmware until the BBC had launched the full i-player. :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How long are you giving the black screen to progress? mine can take 15 to 20 seconds to advance to the playout stage, possibly depending on the demand from the server. Pressing other buttons may cause the unit to trip up and fail for other reasons.

I left it for at least five minutes while playing around last night. Before anyone asks, I've also tried power cycling the TV and the router - nothing changes. Not sure what I'm doing wrong :(

I'll try leaving it for even longer tonight to see if it's just running exceptionally slowly. If it is, it will be essentially unusuable anyway so it doesn't really make any difference. I'm a patient man, but if it always takes ten minutes for a programme to start streaming I'm probably going to give up. :)
  • Options
    jonathonpjonathonp Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    CanaryPhil wrote: »
    At least you guys have i-player, I rang Panasonic yesterday to ask about the BluRay recorders and was told that there were no plans to release the firmware until the BBC had launched the full i-player. :cry:

Seems like they have abandoned the schedule for these machines which they publicised 5th MAY :

" we have received confirmation from Panasonic that the following schedule is in place for the launch of BBC iPlayer on their Freesat enabled televisions and Blu-ray/DVD receivers:

2010 manufactured Viera televisions: Available already
    2009 manufactured Viera televisions: End of July 2010
    2008 manufactured Viera televisions: End of September 2010
    2010 manufactured Blu-ray/DVD receivers: End of September 2010
    2009 manufactured Blu-ray/DVD receivers: October 2010"
  • Options
    moordown66moordown66 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which is the viera tx32lzd81? G10, G15 or G something else that won't get the iplayer update?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    I don't get it....What is so hard for Panasonic to do here?? All other manufacturers seem to have been able to take iPlayer roll-out in their stride,as it was pretty obviously coming down the line. They built the sets to be OTA upgradable with a LAN port so what's the big issue here?

Come on Panasonic - SORT IT OUT!
  • Options
    jonathonpjonathonp Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    moordown66 wrote: »
    Which is the viera tx32lzd81? G10, G15 or G something else that won't get the iplayer update?

I had a tx32lzd81 manufactured and purchased late 2008.
    That means these models are 2008
    So I assume it would get the iplayer by the date mentioned (end Sept. 2010)in a previous post if the schedule has not slipped
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tievolu wrote: »
    I've downloaded the update on my G15, and I can get to the iPlayer menus with no problem, but I'm confronted with a black screen whenever I try to play any programmes (either standard or high quality) - the programmes never start. I have to press exit to return to the normal TV channel, as none of the colour buttons do anything at this point, and more often than not the iPlayer menus crash if I try to access them again after a programme has failed to start. I have to change channels to get the iPlayer menus working again.

Viera Cast content plays fine (Youtube etc), and the iPlayer menus themselves work fine so there is clearly no problem with the network connection.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?

I figured out what was happening. I had an adblocking hosts file installed on my router - when I removed that, iPlayer started working on the TV straight away. The hosts file must have contained an entry that Freesat iPlayer relies on somehow (but not the normal web iPlayer - that worked just fine with the hosts file in place).

Anyway, just thought I'd post this in case anyone else has a similar problem.

This is the hosts file I was using:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt
  • Options
    larkimlarkim Posts: 1,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hadn't noticed this flurry of activity until today.

I'm a LZD81 owner, so I guess I'm in the 2008 manufactured camp.

I follow the RSS feed of the Freeview and Freesat OTA updates on the DTG group, so I was surprised to see that an update had happened.

Interesting that the first release of these new firmwares was over the internet via VieraCast. I presume the other discussions about OTA dates in September mean that Panasonic will actually deliver OTA updates soon.

So if the planned date was end July for 2009 models, actually delivered mid Sept, then I will extrapolate that the end of Sept for 2008 models should turn into mid November. I bought homeplugs at Christmas last year, expecting an early in the year update!! Might just get to use them before 12 months is up!

(Actually, I'll use them before that because I'll have the 3view Freeview HD PVR by then, which will include iPlayer!)

Matt
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    I did a forced update on my V10 through vieracast. Took about 10 mins and i player works a treat. PQ good too.