The Nations Favourite Abba Song

Comments

• fugitivefugitive Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hasnt this been done countless times before..

Anyway , it'll be all celebrities yakking on with 3 second snippets of the actual songs.

Talk about flogging a dead F**king horse ITV.

P.S. I dont usually swear but ITVs schedules would make anyone swear
  • RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lil lexie wrote: »
    interesting that you mention the synth sounds in SNC, in fact Abba's use of synthesizers was pretty impressive and distinctive, equally on a par with the driving synths used by Giorgio Moroder. The track Kisses of Fire has a great synth sequence.

The bit I'm referring to is a very distinct sound which is first heard at 1:28 in this version of the song, and backs the bit that the blokes sing. I guess it's some kind of horn. It's used more prominently in 'So Hurt' on the Human League's 'Hysteria album', and variously throughout the Eurythmics' 1984 soundtrack album. There's something about it I find hypnotically evocative and mournful, like a harbinger of a very bleak future. I also recall it being used in several low-budget and generally bleak early 80s sci-fi films, to effectively evoke precisely that kind of mood.
  • loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    I love Abba and I'm looking forward to this, though there will probably be more 'celebs' talking than actual music.

I think my favourite song has to be The Winner Takes it All, though I also love Ring Ring, When I Kissed the Teacher and Dance (While the Music Still Goes On).
    mal2pool wrote: »

Joe McElderry an abba fan...yeah right!:mad:

What's wrong with that? :confused:
  • jill1812jill1812 Posts: 12,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lealeeds wrote: »
    Loved all Abba songs till I had the misfortune to watch the God awful Mamma Mia film

If you ever get the chance watch it in the theatre. Honestly!

I love Abba and loved Mamma Mia when I saw it on tour but I hate the film. Everyone apart from Dominic Cooper and Julie Walters are miscast, and the leave out The Name of the Game and Knowing Me, Knowing You.
  • quatroquatro Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Winner takes it All
    Dancing Queen

Never saw Mamma Mia - what on earth Meryl Strrep and pierce Brosnan have to do with Abba is beyond me - and noone songs like Abba and shouldnt even try.
  • Dan100Dan100 Posts: 2,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am the City
    The Visitors
    Lovelight
    Eagle
    The Day before you Came
    Summer Night City

In fact I prefer the album More Abba Gold to Abba Gold
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, surprised at the dislike of the Mamma Mia movie on here. I like Meryl Streep and I loved Abba as a kid, Benny & Bjorn were exec producers, and Benny did the score, so I had to see it. And loved every bloody minute! :D:D
    RPM wrote: »
    STV are showing it on Dec 20th
    By which time the momentum will be over. I'll stick with ITV London tonight, but thanks anyway. :)
  • AdamDowdsAdamDowds Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan100 wrote: »
    I am the City
    The Visitors
    Lovelight
    Eagle
    The Day before you Came
    Summer Night City

In fact I prefer the album More Abba Gold to Abba Gold

So do I, and always have done since I was young. Last year I bought the Albums box set for £20, which had every album plus a disc of bonus tracks. Terrific value!
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I think Abba were talented and I like some of their songs such as Waterloo, Ring Ring, Dancing Queen, Knowing Me Knowing You and Summer Night City. I prefer their version of Lay All Your Love on Me to Erasure's.

They did seem to have a lot of talent. As much as I love electronic and pop/dance music these days I still love Abba and reckon a lot of their songs are classic. But maybe I'm biased as I was introduced to them when I was 6.
  • seanlbseanlb Posts: 1,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm a bit slow on the uptake, or too cynical...but isn't it obvious Mamma Mia will win this and then ITV will show the film over Chrimbo?

If it were up to me though, One of Us would be top of the pops.
  • kirstylouise666kirstylouise666 Posts: 6,959
    Forum Member
    seanlb wrote: »
    Maybe I'm a bit slow on the uptake, or too cynical...but isn't it obvious Mamma Mia will win this and then ITV will show the film over Chrimbo?

Or Waterloo
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Agnetha was younger she was very pretty:)
  • magnificentmagnificent Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What has frida done to her face!! oh noooooo
  • mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    seanlb wrote: »

I really can't imagine it will be other than Dancing Queen...
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    'Money money money' is the perfect 3 minute pop song imo, brilliant stuff.:o
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    One of us
    When i kissed the teacher
    The day before you came

I think a lot of the others suffer from too much hearing over the years, a sort of ennui sets in............
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiggy145 wrote: »
    When Agnetha was younger she was very pretty:)

You're not wrong. She was absolutely beautiful. Her face was gorgeously curvy. She had a beautiful nose as well.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah - give me Thank You For The Music (the 4-disc chronological one with loads of unreleased stuff and lots of sleevenotes), along with my copy of Bright Lights, Dark Shadows.
  • littlefrolittlefro Posts: 3,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancing Queen. Although One Of Us comes pretty close.
  • cherubmattdcherubmattd Posts: 13,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gimme Gimme Gimme has to be in the top 10 at least.
  • mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to have to get my red vinyl limited edition LP out hehe
  • seanlbseanlb Posts: 1,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darn, I was enjoying Under Attack then. Forgot all about it...youtube calling come the ad break me thinks.
  • kirstylouise666kirstylouise666 Posts: 6,959
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    One of us
    When i kissed the teacher
    The day before you came

I think a lot of the others suffer from too much hearing over the years, a sort of ennui sets in............

I <3 When I kissed the teacher... and dream world but no one seems to know that one :(
  • cherubmattdcherubmattd Posts: 13,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Voulez Vouz should be in the top 5 - great song.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voulez Vous too low - its my favorite