The Ratings Thread (Part 65)

Comments

• BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet more bad news for ITV here

Britain's Got Talent: Ofcom rules viewers were "misled" over Jules & Matisse tightrope switch

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s107/britains-got-talent/news/a663786/britains-got-talent-ofcom-rules-viewers-were-misled-over-jules--matisse-tightrope-switch.html#~plCEK50HrPT5j6

Its really not been a good year for them has it.

"Whilst Ofcom accepted that ITV did not attempt to deceive...."

WTF? They let the contestant use a REPLACEMENT dog and didn't tell the viewers. How in God's name is that not deceptive?
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bushmills wrote: »
    "Whilst Ofcom accepted that ITV did not attempt to deceive...."

WTF? They let the contestant use a REPLACEMENT dog and didn't tell the viewers. How in God's name is that not deceptive?

I watched it and thought it was the same dog. Nothing was said. If people voted thinking that then they were deceived. I think OFCOM are right and BGT/ITV should know better considering the fallout from the phone-in vote scandals of several years ago.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely one for the "bonkers" file, alongside that Gems TV doco on ITV. (I'll never forget that one as long as I live).

A very VERY minor celebrity who most viewers wouldn't give two figs about. I doubt even BBC3 would have touched it.
    Now people might think ITV 2 might be bad, but I can remember my former partner being obsessed with Gems TV. All it consisted of was a woman trying on rings for hours on end while people bidded against each other to buy rings. They actually made a documentary about gem stones, 5 minutes of an African miner with a wooden voiceover about how a diamond made it to Britain. Dire stuff, but how does it rate as a channel?
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Nine-Nine wrote: »
    I really don't think the BBC have thought this through, that young people (like myself) will just jump over to BBC One and BBC Two when BBC Three closes down. The last show I watched on BBC One was Waterloo Road and that was when it was actually worth a watch, while I can't say I have ever watched anything on BBC Two. Programmes like the above, which IMO are poor efforts to appeal to younger generation, just look odd in the schedules and effectively don't attract anyone. The quicker they realise that the better.

Good for the premiere of Film: Yes Man: 1.01m (5.5%), a film that dates back to 2008.

I have to say I find this a bit wierd. The BBC havent thought this through because you wont watch any programs on BBC1/BBC2 even if they appeal to you? Or to put it another way you will only watch shows which are broadcast on a channel that is specifically aimed at your demographic? Now I know that people have their preferences for channels etc and there is some evidence that this actually happens but I just find it odd, thats all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    I watched it and thought it was the same dog. Nothing was said. If people voted thinking that then they were deceived. I think OFCOM are right and BGT/ITV should know better considering the fallout from the phone-in vote scandals of several years ago.

Ofcom being spineless yet again.

They couldn't exactly come out and say that viewers *weren't* misled, when over a thousand complained, saying they had been.

But to claim that there was no "intention" to mislead. That's just Ofcom bottling it, because they don't - or won't - bring ITV to account.

Nothing to do with the poor woman at the centre of it all, I'm sure. In fact, she took the first opportunity, after the show, to fess up. But it wasn't an honest fight, imo.

Both acts should have been judged on their "abilities to trick and deceive", as the other act was a magician. As it turned out, one was presented as a clean display of one dog's talent, the other one magician's ability to pull off tricks. In truth, both were using tricks, and the public should have had that information when they came to vote. The result might have been quite different.

But too late now.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The issue was not whether ITV intended to mislead viewers but that many thought they had been misled and OFCOM finds this to be true so why no penalty ? Had this been the BBC the Daily Mail would be calling for the D-G's resignation (but of course the Mail has shares in ITV which it mysteriously never mentions in any coverage).OFCOM must be the country's most ineffective regulator.No doubt ITV took them out for a good lunch.
  • MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    The issue was not whether ITV intended to mislead viewers but that many thought they had been misled and OFCOM finds this to be true so why no penalty ? Had this been the BBC the Daily Mail would be calling for the D-G's resignation (but of course the Mail has shares in ITV which it mysteriously never mentions in any coverage).OFCOM must be the country's most ineffective regulator.No doubt ITV took them out for a good lunch.

I agree, the Daily Mail would have been running front page headlines over this if it were a BBC show and some forum members on here would have been looking for blood. Instead, millions of people were deceived, the producers and ITV knew how the act was staged, and yet nothing is done. Unfortunately the fall out from this will be forgotten as soon as the new series rolls around - well the fall out being a slap on the wrist.
  • MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"We accepted ITV had no intention to deceive the audience. However, the presentation of the act did not make clear to viewers that a central part was performed by a second dog.

By failing to do so, we've concluded the presentation of the act was likely to have materially misled some people."

There's more sleight of hand on display in that sentence than the whole series of BGT :-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the old days the IBA would have asked ITV to cancel BGT. It didn't matter if a show was big like BGT, if it had lied or lacked integrity, the IBA would cancel it and if shows were of a poor standard, they were taken off. Opportunity Knocks, even with 20 million viewers, was pulled in 1978 as the IBA had warned Thames about Hughie Green displaying political bias and Crossroads lost an episode a week as the IBA thought it was too poor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    I have to say I find this a bit wierd. The BBC havent thought this through because you wont watch any programs on BBC1/BBC2 even if they appeal to you? Or to put it another way you will only watch shows which are broadcast on a channel that is specifically aimed at your demographic? Now I know that people have their preferences for channels etc and there is some evidence that this actually happens but I just find it odd, thats all.

None of the programming on BBC One or BBC Two appeal to me, except the live sporting events they show. If I'm n't used to watching a channel that hasn't catered for me for years, so I just don't ever check them anymore. I think it's more prevalent than you think. I watch Channel 5 and E4 the most, but I've mostly turned to streaming.
  • AndrxwAndrxw Posts: 10,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emmerdale's consolidated ratings for disaster week (inc +1):

Monday: 6.95m (+0.54m)
    Tuesday: 7.52m (+0.86m)
    Wednesday: 7.58m (+0.76m)
    Thursday (7pm): 7.16m (+0.86m)
    Thursday (8pm): 7.63m (+0.83m)
    Friday: around 6.9m-7.2m (the HD rating on BARB was missing).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nine-Nine wrote: »
    None of the programming on BBC One or BBC Two appeal to me, except the live sporting events they show. If I'm n't used to watching a channel that hasn't catered for me for years, so I just don't ever check them anymore. I think it's more prevalent than you think. I watch Channel 5 and E4 the most, but I've mostly turned to streaming.
    I think the younger generation are leaving the four traditional channels behind. Most people under 25 will have grown up in multi channel households, or had access to Sky Sports through pubs, so won't have much loyalty to the old four. Also the old are you BBC or ITV argument would be laughable now to anyone under 40 and even older viewers don't show the same loyalty to the two broadcasters either.
  • Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    lewiep93 wrote: »

Overnights.tv ‏@overnightstv 2m2 minutes ago
    #CBS drama #Zoo started at 9pm on Sky1 and captured total audience of 465.7/2.3% http://www.overnights.tv

Good start for Zoo. I watched it last night and really enjoyed it.

It will probably add a decent amount on timeshift too. Maybe close to 1m for the final consolidated figure. Sky1 have probably got a hit on their hands here.

Does anyone know how well this show is doing in American?
    BARB has updated.

The first in the new series of The Great British Bake Off on August 5th was watched by 11.62m. It added 2.3m! :o

:o:o:o What the....?!! Sensational rating for GBBO. That is frankly insane. I have been watching this series for the first time ever - and to be honest I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.
    dennisboy wrote: »

Those are decent numbers for Emmerdale's disaster week and adding more on time-shift than usual. A successful week overall.

With regards to it's numbers last week. I remember people talking about the share and how it was returning to normal. I wouldn't count beating EE every day (except Tuesday) normal regardless of the share. It's certainly doing extremely well at the moment.

It's current overnight month to date average for August stands at 6.1m (exc +1) - whilst EE's is 5.7m. And just in case anyone is wondering, Corrie is on 6.7m (exc +1).
  • northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

DAILY Mail dont own any shares in ITV,they own 20% of shares in ITN.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 167,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyway, dragging the thread back from an over-reaction regarding a dog for the second time this year... it looks like The X Factor will continue to be scheduled across the weekend. According to digiguide it's airing at 8pm for 90 minutes on Saturday, leading into Through the Keyhole, and 60 minutes on Sunday. I'm not sure what it's leading into as of yet.
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    Anyway, dragging the thread back from an over-reaction regarding a dog for the second time this year... it looks like The X Factor will continue to be scheduled across the weekend. According to digiguide it's airing at 8pm for 90 minutes on Saturday, leading into Through the Keyhole, and 60 minutes on Sunday. I'm not sure what it's leading into as of yet.

We should hopefully get a better idea of what X Factor on the Sunday is leading into tomorrow, won't we?

As mentioned earlier, we know what's provisionally leading into X Factor on the Sunday - Animal Mums, which is directly opposite Big Blue Live. Craziness.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I think the younger generation are leaving the four traditional channels behind. Most people under 25 will have grown up in multi channel households, or had access to Sky Sports through pubs, so won't have much loyalty to the old four. Also the old are you BBC or ITV argument would be laughable now to anyone under 40 and even older viewers don't show the same loyalty to the two broadcasters either.

Apart from when Great British Bake Off is on as it gets a unusual audience to BBC1.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dennisboy wrote: »

Those are decent numbers for Emmerdale's disaster week and adding more on time-shift than usual. A successful week overall.

With regards to it's numbers last week. I remember people talking about the share and how it was returning to normal. I wouldn't count beating EE every day (except Tuesday) normal regardless of the share. It's certainly doing extremely well at the moment.

It's current overnight month to date average for August stands at 6.1m (exc +1) - whilst EE's is 5.7m. And just in case anyone is wondering, Corrie is on 6.7m (exc +1).
    I think those are decent numbers for Emmerdale. Not anything special in terms of event weeks. Deserved to be higher and would have been if it was on later in Autumn.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good start for Zoo. I watched it last night and really enjoyed it.

It will probably add a decent amount on timeshift too. Maybe close to 1m for the final consolidated figure. Sky1 have probably got a hit on their hands here.

Does anyone know how well this show is doing in American?
    Looks a good premise. Like The Birds but with every single animal. Decent start on Sky. Which channel shows Zoo in America?

:o:o:o What the....?!! Sensational rating for GBBO. That is frankly insane. I have been watching this series for the first time ever - and to be honest I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.
    Bake Off is the little show that could. Not really relying on confrontation, controversy, affairs. Usually it's just a pleasant show. I cannot explain why it gets 11/12/13m.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The broadcast channels are gradually becoming like Blockbuster Video of 25 years past, shifting a few big hitters but most of their stuff gathering dust on the shelves.

I don't see how it can continue like this.
  • Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    I think those are decent numbers for Emmerdale. Not anything special in terms of event weeks. Deserved to be higher and would have been if it was on later in Autumn.

Yeah for the time of year those are very decent numbers. They should have saved it for Sept/Oct time but maybe they were worried about the Rugby World Cup disruption. I'm sure I read somewhere that disaster week was brought forward.
    Looks a good premise. Like The Birds but with every single animal. Decent start on Sky. Which channel shows Zoo in America?

It's posting similar numbers Hawaii Five-O has been posting for 4 seasons on Sky1. I'm not 100% sure what channel it's on in American.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    Indeed. Interesting to note that despite Odd One In (another Bradley Walsh vehicle!) and Keep it in The Family getting similar audiences KIITF is getting higher shares, showing how total audiences have fallen.

Also apparent how far You've Been Framed has fallen. Casualty too although that is still getting good figures at least. Also Tonight's The Night actually did quite well, I was a bit surprised when it got axed.

I think KIITF is doing OK-ish. 2.8m isn't a good audience but an 18% share is reasonable. It'll be interesting to see if it gets a boost when The X Factor returns in 2 weeks.

How many editions of Keep It In The Family are there?
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    We should hopefully get a better idea of what X Factor on the Sunday is leading into tomorrow, won't we?

As mentioned earlier, we know what's provisionally leading into X Factor on the Sunday - Animal Mums, which is directly opposite Big Blue Live. Craziness.

The bonus for Animal Mums is that its against a new untested programme on BBC1 at 7pm. At least its unlikely to get the usual audience CF gets every week. Viewers might pay more attention to other channels at that time with CF not at 7pm.

So I think Big Blue will still get a solid 4.5m+ thanks to CF lead in, but Animal Mums (if promoted by ITV) should be able to manage a figure around 2.5m Not ideal, but then ITV scheduling is not ideal.
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many editions of Keep It In The Family are there?

7. So 5 more to air.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    The broadcast channels are gradually becoming like Blockbuster Video of 25 years past, shifting a few big hitters but most of their stuff gathering dust on the shelves.

I don't see how it can continue like this.
    It can't. The broadcast channels are going to drive more and more people to other streaming services/satellite & cable providers. But with broadcasters not having the money maybe this is inevitable?
    Yeah for the time of year those are very decent numbers. They should have saved it for Sept/Oct time but maybe they were worried about the Rugby World Cup disruption. I'm sure I read somewhere that disaster week was brought forward.

The summer fete storyline would have been perfect for Autumn/Winter viewing with more viewers around. Will soaps pick up in the Autumn?
    It's posting similar numbers Hawaii Five-O has been posting for 4 seasons on Sky1. I'm not 100% sure what channel it's on in American.
    That's not too shabby.
This discussion has been closed.