Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 65)

Comments

• Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    The summer fete storyline would have been perfect for Autumn/Winter viewing with more viewers around. Will soaps pick up in the Autumn?

They will grow, but it really depends what they've got lined up.

The soaps as a whole have held up well over the summer. No way near as bad as some were probably expecting at the start of 2015.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Casualty is on next Saturday and Sunday and the following weekend which is an interesting move
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to a poster on the Doc Martin thread, series 7 starts on Monday 28th September. And Martin Clunes said if it does well, he up for doing an 8th series.
  • Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,477
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    The broadcast channels are gradually becoming like Blockbuster Video of 25 years past, shifting a few big hitters but most of their stuff gathering dust on the shelves.

I don't see how it can continue like this.

The Blockbuster analogy only works if you're talking about pure broadcasters with no stake in production. To use your equivalence, what ITV have spent most of the past decade doing is becoming a lot less like Blockbuster, and a lot more like the movie studios who used to fill Blockbuster's shelves (and are, of course, still doing just fine).

It's quite true that ITV will probably make fewer shows in the future, and more of their revenue from non-broadcast avenues - but they'll still most certainly be around in 10 years time.
  • Options
    northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sn_22 wrote: »
    The Blockbuster analogy only works if you're talking about pure broadcasters with no stake in production. To use your equivalence, what ITV have spent most of the past decade doing is becoming a lot less like Blockbuster, and a lot more like the movie studios who used to fill Blockbuster's shelves (and are, of course, still doing just fine).

It's quite true that ITV will probably make fewer shows in the future, and more of their revenue from non-broadcast avenues - but they'll still most certainly be around in 10 years time.

Totally agree,and 15 years ago the general opinion was that companies like ITV/C4/C5 would have disappeared by now.
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    northlad wrote: »
    Totally agree,and 15 years ago the general opinion was that companies like ITV/C4/C5 would have disappeared by now.

Very good point.

ITV and all the traditional broadcasters will live on as content suppliers.

But they wont die out they will evolve. Blockbuster didn't evolve it stood still.

That's the difference.
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    F1Ken wrote: »
    Very good point.

ITV and all the traditional broadcasters will live on as content suppliers.

But they wont die out they will evolve. Blockbuster didn't evolve it stood still.

That's the difference.

Just less people will watch their programmes.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the old ratings, folks. :)
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    I cant actually remember Michael Barrymores show on BBC1 (cant remember much of a BBC connection) ...
    :) I remember it (and watched it), but I'd forgotten it had run to two series. I had memories of Shane Richie doing a similar show in 1989, but he was probably just a guest on one of Barrymore's editions.
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    Just watched Under The Dome - and at the end they announced as of next week it moves to midnight.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Jokanovic wrote: »

And there will be a lot less programs as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BARB we 9th August 2015

BBC1

GBBO 11.62m
    New Tricks 6.57m
    Countryfile 5.59m
    Partners in Crime 5.45m
    Casualty 5.15m
    Earths Natural Wonders 4.88m
    Ripper Street 4.44m

BBC2

Dragons Den 3.61m
    University CHallenge 2.85m
    GBBO 2.76m
    Atlantic 2.38m
    Only Connect 2.37m
    Gardeners World 2.15m
    Chinese School 2.08m
    Odyssey 1.83m
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to a poster on the Doc Martin thread, series 7 starts on Monday 28th September. And Martin Clunes said if it does well, he up for doing an 8th series.

Eight episodes as usual, I guess? That would take it up to 16th November; a lot later than series 6 which finished on 21st October 2013.

I'm A Celebrity... started on 16th November last year which means it will be airing later if that launch date is right. If that covers the same number of days, starting the following Sunday (22nd November) then it will be running up to 13th December. If Simon Cowell is after the Christmas number one the final of The X Factor will have to be on 13th December. I guess they could run The X Factor 7-9pm then the I'm A Celebrity... final but I can't see it myself. If The X Factor is held back until 20th December it will go head to head with the Strictly final.

Downton is eight episodes as well so, based on the above, that will begin the night before Doc Martin on 27th September.

I have no idea where they're going to stick Unforgotten if all this is right though, unless they air it Sunday and Monday across three weeks. There are not enough Sunday or Monday's available between now and the end of September based on the above.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    BARB we 9th August 2015

BBC1

GBBO 11.62m
    New Tricks 6.57m
    Countryfile 5.59m
    Partners in Crime 5.45m
    Casualty 5.15m
    Earths Natural Wonders 4.88m
    Ripper Street 4.44m

BBC2

Dragons Den 3.61m
    University CHallenge 2.85m
    GBBO 2.76m
    Atlantic 2.38m
    Only Connect 2.37m
    Gardeners World 2.15m
    Chinese School 2.08m
    Odyssey 1.83m

Looking at those ratings Bake Off does look like it has become one of the big tentpole shows of the year along with Strictly, X Factor, I'm A Celebrity and Britain's Got Talent.

New Tricks getting a decent number. Really does show up Ripper Street and Partners In Crime. Glad Chinese School did well.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched Under The Dome - and at the end they announced as of next week it moves to midnight.

Channel 5 won't be buying the next series of Under The Dome then. :(
  • Options
    BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if it's been mentioned but the Songs of Praise edition from Calais got 1.2m and a 9% share. Lots of publicity but no effect on ratings.
  • Options
    jsam93jsam93 Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    Eight episodes as usual, I guess? That would take it up to 16th November; a lot later than series 6 which finished on 21st October 2013.

I'm A Celebrity... started on 16th November last year which means it will be airing later if that launch date is right. If that covers the same number of days, starting the following Sunday (22nd November) then it will be running up to 13th December. If Simon Cowell is after the Christmas number one the final of The X Factor will have to be on 13th December. I guess they could run The X Factor 7-9pm then the I'm A Celebrity... final but I can't see it myself. If The X Factor is held back until 20th December it will go head to head with the Strictly final.

Downton is eight episodes as well so, based on the above, that will begin the night before Doc Martin on 27th September.

I have no idea where they're going to stick Unforgotten if all this is right though, unless they air it Sunday and Monday across three weeks. There are not enough Sunday or Monday's available between now and the end of September based on the above.

Actually, now the chart is unveiled on a Friday, they could have the X Factor Final on the 19th/20th and go for the Christmas number one. The reason the probably won't is because, as you suggest, there would certainly be a clash with the Strictly final on the 19th.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »

Well I certainly think launching DM that late in September is odd considering they have already been trailing it for a week. I'm thinking it will more likely be after The Trials of Jimmy Rose which I would guess will start when Travel Guides finishes next week.

Downton Abbey I believe will be on the weekend of the 20th. Unless they push it back to its closer to the Christmas special.

Unforgotten will be on Wednesday at 9pm I would think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Looks a good premise. Like The Birds but with every single animal. Decent start on Sky. Which channel shows Zoo in America? .

Zoo airs on CBS in the U.S. It's still up in the air whether a second season will be ordered, but it hasn't faired too badly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I am an avid viewer of the show but they persevered with it for a long time and let's face it, it's not been delivering. Under 500,000 last week in overnight numbers.
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    For those that asked about The Zoo, it airs on CBS in America.

The Zoo has lost 20% from it's first episode, with demo's around 1.0 to 1.2 fluctuating each week. By comparison, Under The Dome - which was/is considered a summertime hit, draws 1.3 to 0.8 and has lost 50% of it's audience since the start of season 3, which was also 40% down on the final episode of season 2.

Under the Dome looks like it could be it's final series based on those numbers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Markynotts wrote: »
    For those that asked about The Zoo, it airs on CBS in America.

The Zoo has lost 20% from it's first episode, with demo's around 1.0 to 1.2 fluctuating each week. By comparison, Under The Dome - which was/is considered a summertime hit, draws 1.3 to 0.8 and has lost 50% of it's audience since the start of season 3, which was also 40% down on the final episode of season 2.

Under the Dome looks like it could be it's final series based on those numbers.

Umder the Dome should have been one series ( two at most ).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Umder the Dome should have been one series ( two at most ).

I agree, the first series was fairly faithful to the book up to a point. Once it started to deviate you could see that things were being strung out. It may have had a second series by splitting the book into two parts, but now we have gone so far away from the original source material, we may as well be in an episode of The Scary Door ;)
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    Overnights.tv ‏@overnightstv 25s25 seconds ago
    Drama #ScandalousLadyW starring #GOT actress #NatalieDormer drew 2.5m/12.9% to BBC2 from 9pm,winning part of slot http://www.overnights.tv

Overnights.tv ‏@overnightstv 4s4 seconds ago
    Repeat of frisky #Sherlock episode #SignofThree attracted 2.3m/11% to BBC1 from 8.30pm @hartswoodfilms http://www.overnights.tv
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jokanovic wrote: »
    And there will be a lot less programs as well.
    fewer
  • Options
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    fewer

or indeed programmes instead of programs :)
This discussion has been closed.