Options

BSkyB to close Bravo and Channel One

Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,913
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Bravo and Channel One are to close, Challenge will replace Channel One on Freeview with C1's back catalogue moving to Sky3.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/sep/15/bravo-channel-one-bdkyb

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting to note that Challenge will become a free to air channel, and it sounds like they might eventually put Sky Bet related programming on it (probably endless hours of roulette late at night). And Sky 3 may improve as a result of this, if it takes things from Channel One and ditches some of its existing schedule fillers.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bravo and Channel One are to close, Challenge will replace Channel One on Freeview with C1's back catalogue moving to Sky3.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/sep/15/bravo-channel-one-bdkyb

Well, Channel One didn't last long .......
  • Options
    01tomki01tomki Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    So what was the point of Channel One! Good to see Challenge go FTA on Freeview.

It makes me think though, how things have changed, from when we first got freeview is 2004 ish.. we had FTN and Sky Travel. Sky Travel became Sky 3, FTN became Virgin 1, then Channel 1 and now replaced by Challenge!
  • Options
    The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,631
    Forum Member
    What's to become of US imports Spartacus,Leverage,Chuck and the new Hawaii 5-0?
  • Options
    crakecrake Posts: 1,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't forget Sons of Anarchy! And Manswers... Ok, do forget Manswers.
  • Options
    ShaunWShaunW Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oops I have seen plenty 'fantasy channel line-up' posts on the Terrestrial forum and Challenge rarely, if ever, appears on them. Don't think thats going to be a popular move.

Its a shame about Bravo, I'd like to see it go back to what it originally was 'time warp television' with old cult classics.
  • Options
    OreoOreo Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sky 1 will probably take them. They say they're closing Bravo as it is aimed at a similar demographic, but lacks the audience reach and share that Sky 1 has.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Sad to see Bravo go after all these years, but it was inevitable that Sky would downsize.

I'm not bothered about Channel One going as long as Chuck continues to be FTA via Sky3. I'm not bothered about the rest of its programming.

Challenge might actually be a good addition to Freeview, something a bit different.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as we keep Spartacus & Sons of Anarchy they can call the channel what ever they like
  • Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Damn $ky. I knew this would happen. :mad::mad:

Virgin 1/Channel 1 was quite a good channel, and now they are diluting Freeview content even more.

What's the betting they'll get rid of the gameshow programmes eventually and turn it into a channel not unlike ITV Play? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Tumble weedTumble weed Posts: 8,200
    Forum Member
    This should also mean that we'll finally get Sky 2 HD and maybe Sky 2+1.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Well, Channel One didn't last long .......
    My theory is that both Sky and Virgin were keen to ditch the name "Virgin 1" as soon as possible.

It did seem unusual for a channel to be rebranded so quickly, before a review of its content etc. was carried out.
    Damn $ky. I knew this would happen. :mad::mad:

Virgin 1/Channel 1 was quite a good channel, and now they are diluting Freeview content even more.
    How do you work that out?

The Virgin 1/Channel 1 programmes will now be shown on Sky3, and Challenge is launching to boot. So while a channel is being replaced, its content will still be available and you have the new channel to boot.
  • Options
    gerdavgerdav Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    Does this mean Chuck and Sons of Anarchy in HD? and possibly not a year behind the US, if so then this is great news.

And for those on freeview, if done right Sky3/Channel 1 will actually be a good channel there is enough good programming on both combined that its probably the best move imo.

I don't really understand closing Bravo down though, as even though it reaches the same demographic as Sky 1, at the same time its a different type of channel, and both could easily have continued as they are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hazard a guess that Challenge when it goes FTA on Freeview will schedule Challenge Jackpot between midnight and 3am as now.

Having some of C1's current back catalogue such as the Star Trek's, Chuck and V will boost the Sky3 output away from the current filler of Airline, Road Wars and UK Border Force.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BSkyB are saying that Channel 1 (Virgin 1) was too similar to Sky3. Don't quite see this myself. Bet they only trickle feed some of the Virgin 1 content onto Sky3 and cherry pick the rest for Sky1.

Challenge TV will be a poor replacement and along with the recent withdrawal of Sky Sports News it seems a deliberate strategy to make Freeview less attractive.

Seems also that the purchase of VMtv was all about getting hold of the Living channels to address the female market.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bumped to show soulboy77's post.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having some of C1's current back catalogue such as the Star Trek's, Chuck and V will boost the Sky3 output away from the current filler of Airline, Road Wars and UK Border Force.

Any new content will go to Sky One. Only the older content will go to Sky 3 and even then some of the older popular content will maybe just go out on Sky 2.
  • Options
    RuthStarRuthStar Posts: 5,729
    Forum Member
    Damn, Wheres TNA Wrestling going to go now.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andyk22 wrote: »
    Any new content will go to Sky One. Only the older content will go to Sky 3 and even then some of the older popular content will maybe just go out on Sky 2.
    Where does the guardian article say that? It says:

"BSkyB intends to "redeploy" the channels' programming, with pay-TV shows moving to other Sky channels and free-to-air fare mostly moving to Sky3."

free-to-air fare i.e. what is now on Channel One
  • Options
    bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,707
    Forum Member
    It seams a bit weird that so much money was pumped into Bravo to axe it though, it has just rebranded and added about 15 new shows in the last 3 months.

Compare that with Challenge that is now slightly dated and has not had a new show for over a year when Winning Lines was purchased.

However I personally think this is a very good move.

Sky bet shows are limited to 3 hours otherwise they have to go to another section of the Sky epg, with Challenge Jackpot, Sky Vegas and Sky Poker already on the EPG in that area it would make no sense for Sky to change the content to religate the channel out of the main EPG positions.

I also think the new look Sky 3 sounds very good taking the best from Channel 1 and Sky 3 and that would result in a very solid channel indeed, rather than a lot of the filler Sky 3 and Channel 1 had. Thiss i guess also explains the Sky 3+1 launch a bit better now.

Hopefully the move to freeview will result in Challenge getting in some solid new shows, some original content and expanding on the kids shows past knightmare and Fun House that they have at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Andy22's claims are right, then what's the point of purchasing FTA terrestrial rights for new shows when they're going to be stuck on Sky's pay channels?

Chuck and V should be aired on Sky3 if the rights are FTA.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    BSkyB are saying that Channel 1 (Virgin 1) was too similar to Sky3. Don't quite see this myself. Bet they only trickle feed some of the Virgin 1 content onto Sky3 and cherry pick the rest for Sky1.

Challenge TV will be a poor replacement and along with the recent withdrawal of Sky Sports News it seems a deliberate strategy to make Freeview less attractive.

Seems also that the purchase of VMtv was all about getting hold of the Living channels to address the female market.

I disagree.

As I said in the Freeview forum both channels were tired. Sky3 lacking on programming as Sky are never going to show the likes of 'Lost' on the channel for free. Sky3 will now have a mix of Sky Travel/Sky Real Lives/Virgin1/Channel One and old Sky One programming. That will make a fantastic channel and there's also the plus one which will come in handy since the loss of V1+1.

Sky One is just going to get massive. They have the HBO deal, lots of shows from Bravo and existing shows. Plus in addition Sky is being generous offering a pay tv channel on Freeview all be it old quiz shows. I would describe it as Sky merging and creating one super Freeview channel whilst creating an even far superior pay entertainment channel.

Bad news about the loss of Bravo. I think they put too much significance in the Living brand. I'm a bit sick of "Living It", "Living Loves". Clearly it was too many channels for Sky to handle so it's bad for Cable viewers as these are important channels. So basically it all goes back to Sky now they have EPG slots and programming. No room for another debate over costs like when they removed Sky1!

Virgin made a mistake selling these channels to Sky. Challenge is only good if it doesn't turn into Sky Bet 24/7. It could backfire and Sky could say well "who wants old quiz shows" on Freeview making it worse. But everybody with Sky would take UK Gold back in a minute. Look at the success of Men & Motors and old shows on DTT. Challenge will do extremely well on Freeview.
  • Options
    lovedoctor1978lovedoctor1978 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RuthStar wrote: »
    Damn, Wheres TNA Wrestling going to go now.

THats the first thing I thought.
    It will have to be dumped because Sky wouldn't want to upset WWE by having it on Sky 1/2/3.
    As soon as I read that the sale of VMTV had been approved I knew TNA would be the first programming casualty.
    I wonder what channel would pick it up? Im hoping a FTA would take it...... Thank God for torrents in the meantime.
  • Options
    chris2k2chris2k2 Posts: 9,886
    Forum Member
    Which channel will the adult related shows that are shown on Bravo, Bravo2 and Channel One go to though?

Will Sky 3 become Sky Sex at night;)
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oreo wrote: »
    Sky 1 will probably take them. They say they're closing Bravo as it is aimed at a similar demographic, but lacks the audience reach and share that Sky 1 has.
    Which is funny because a few months back they were describing Sky 1 as a family channel which is something you couldn't say of Bravo.:confused: