Options

Where did the space come from?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 823
Forum Member
✭✭
I've not been reading this forum as much as I used to lately, as I now have cable, and use Freesat (which is built into my TV) less often these days.

However in the past I remember that the outlook for more HD channels on the platform was bleak due to the lack of available narrow-beam space.

With BBC1 HD launching this evening, my question is, how have they achieved the space needed to host it? And is there any hope of any more?

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I've had a look through the BBC1 HD threads but can't find any explanation.

Comments

• Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The simple answer is they have reduced the bitrate.Additionally the bbc have done a major shuffle of their SD transmissions to free up the transponder for HD so up to 3 HD channels using dvb-s. BBC-HD, BBC1-HD and rumoured CH4 HD. Sky have hosted ITV1-HD Granada and STV-HD on one of their transponders.
  • Options
    Night WatchmanNight Watchman Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About a 3 weeks ago BBC did a major re-shuffle of its channels moving some of them to different transponders creating room on the same one as BBC HD. Everyone is hoping that still more space will be created if they move to using DVB-S2 creating room for Channel 4 HD or others. Transponder availability will increase from 2012 and beyond with the launch of 3 new birds @ 28.2º.
  • Options
    IanPIanP Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About a 3 weeks ago BBC did a major re-shuffle of its channels moving some of them to different transponders creating room on the same one as BBC HD. Everyone is hoping that still more space will be created if they move to using DVB-S2 creating room for Channel 4 HD or others. Transponder availability will increase from 2012 and beyond with the launch of 3 new birds @ 28.2º.
    Apparently the BBC advertised an HD slot for sale in Broadcast magazine recently. I haven't seen the ad but if it was explicitly for an HD channel and didn't allow any SD channels to apply it would suggest the space was only suitable for an HD service i.e. it was on a DVB-S2 transponder. So if that is correct it would seem that the intention is to make the transponder DVB-S2. There may also be additional narror beam capacity created next year following the launch of Astra 1N in April.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting, just goes to show what can be done if they try. thanks for your replies.