Options

Mary was sabbotaged by Syco

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 758
Forum Member
✭✭
She got the most votes in week 1.

She clearly earned her place at the final last weekend. Even Shirley Bassey said that she would be happy to perform with Mary.

Simon feared that Mary would win so that's why he introduced the sing-of at the last minute - It wasn't to save Cher but was to stop Mary from winning as he knew exactly just how well she had done in the votings for the first 4 weeks.

A good duet with Bassey could have resulted in Mary winning the show!

What a shame that Mary did not avoid the bottom 2 in the semi finals!!

Comments

• Options
    Chisato GeesteChisato Geeste Posts: 20,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can bet your life that if Mary had got just a few % more and overtaken One Direction they would not have had a sing off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,129
    Forum Member
    FernandoM wrote: »

She clearly earned her place at the final last weekend. Even Shirley Bassey said that she would be happy to perform with Mary.

Simon feared that Mary would win so that's why he introduced the sing-of at the last minute - It wasn't to save Cher but was to stop Mary from winning as he knew exactly just how well she had done in the votings for the first 4 weeks.

Now that we've been given the voting figures from this series it's so obvious how far Mary was stiched up by the producers. I mean after she topped the votes in the first week they panicked, and as a result she was always one of the first acts to be on during the following weeks; an attempt by the producers to prevent her from winning.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having seen the voting it is very clear to me that she was shafted repeatedly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PAL65 wrote: »
    Having seen the voting it is very clear to me that she was shafted repeatedly.

She must be receiving A LOT of money for being treated so unfairly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mary's voting percentage was all downhill from week one in the face of a dwindling field. She was haemorrhaging support not gaining it.
  • Options
    hypervisorhypervisor Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    buy surfin bird

heres the campaign
    http://www.facebook.com/birdbirdbirdistheword
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can bet your life that if Mary had got just a few % more and overtaken One Direction they would not have had a sing off.

Why not? They'd just have voted off Cher. Pretty simple really.

Mary was never going to win. She hadn't beaten One Direction for 5 weeks let alone Rebecca or Matt and she certainly wouldn't have picked up many votes from Cher.

She received some of the best slots in her first 3 weeks but her share of the vote was already dropping sharply when it should have been rising due to the 2 double eliminations.

That's hardly surprising. It tells the story we all saw on TV. She surprised us all in week 1, she was good in week 2 but nobody was surprised anymore and in week 3, nobody was even that impressed anymore.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard people suggesting she started out well but the was fading in the later stages.Not true IMO : her U2 song in week 9 was as good as anything she did in weeks 1-3.What was really happening is that Cowell was discrediting her and trying to make it look like she was in decline.Calling her a "pub singer" was hugely damaging...it must have swayed a few neutral voters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    Why not? They'd just have voted off Cher. Pretty simple really.

Mary was never going to win. She hadn't beaten One Direction for 5 weeks let alone Rebecca or Matt and she certainly wouldn't have picked up many votes from Cher.

She received some of the best slots in her first 3 weeks but her share of the vote was already dropping sharply when it should have been rising due to the 2 double eliminations.

That's hardly surprising. It tells the story we all saw on TV. She surprised us all in week 1, she was good in week 2 but nobody was surprised anymore and in week 3, nobody was even that impressed anymore.

The reason her votes were dropping was as a result of deiberate sabotage by Cowell.Giving her the graveyard slots in the latter weeks,never praising her,starting an argument with Louis each week instead of giving a critique.Despite all this she still finished 4th (not 5th) in the contest.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    Thank god she was, too. Awful bellower.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Week 1 - 22.28% - Peak Week
    Week 2 - 18.55% - Two Acts already gone - The haemorrhage begins
    Week 3 - 13.92% - Four acts now gone - continues to lose her own support rather than gaining new.
    Week 4 - 11.98% - further slump in support
    Week 5 - 12.02% - haemorrhage arrested - half the field now gone
    Week 6 - 10.66% - etc etc etc
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Given that Matt topped the polls all bar 1 week then Mary had absolutely no chance of winning whatever the circumstances.

Will I Am loved Cher. Has she been screwed over as well after her "celeb" endorsement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ardwark wrote: »
    Week 3 - 13.92% - Four acts now gone - continues to lose her own support rather than gaining new.

Yes,but you have to factor in her position in the running order vis a vis her chief rivals and an increasingly hostile Cowell.The slump in her votes was very much a deliberate policy on his part....he was doing everything to get her off the show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ardwark wrote: »

This fits with the deterioration in her performances.

After a couple of weeks she was exposed as a one trick pony.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ballyclark wrote: »
    Given that Matt topped the polls all bar 1 week then Mary had absolutely no chance of winning whatever the circumstances.

Will I Am loved Cher. Has she been screwed over as well after her "celeb" endorsement.

Mary would probably have done better than 1D in the final - Simon did not want this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ballyclark wrote: »
    This fits with the deterioration in her performances.

After a couple of weeks she was exposed as a one trick pony.

Look at her position in the draw for the latter stages : always given the graveyard slot whilst the likes of 1D and Cher were performing last.Cowell lavishing praise on those two plus Matt and Rebecca,but telling Mary she was a pub singer and karaoke...it was all deliberate.
  • Options
    iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mary was never going to win.

End of.

Iain
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    I totally disagree with what they did to Mary but I am glad they did, I never liked Cher but for me it was a better final with her in it. Downloaded her song for my daughter and hate to admit it, but it was pretty good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Look at her position in the draw for the latter stages : always given the graveyard slot whilst the likes of 1D and Cher were performing last.Cowell lavishing praise on those two plus Matt and Rebecca,but telling Mary she was a pub singer and karaoke...it was all deliberate.

Sometimes though criticism like this would make people vote for her more. It can go one way or the other.
  • Options
    Queen MaeveQueen Maeve Posts: 22,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she's got a contract as her consolation prize I guess
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    The reason her votes were dropping was as a result of deiberate sabotage by Cowell.Giving her the graveyard slots in the latter weeks,never praising her,starting an argument with Louis each week instead of giving a critique.Despite all this she still finished 4th (not 5th) in the contest.

Why should he praise her? If anything, I suspect he was being dishonest by not criticising her as heavily as he really wanted to.

Surely the loss of the surprise factor played a major role? Even with praise and good slots at the start, her vote was already falling rapidly.
    Mary would probably have done better than 1D in the final - Simon did not want this.

She hadn't beaten them for 5 weeks. Even when they sang before her, they were ahead of her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she's got a contract as her consolation prize I guess

Just what I was about to say

She must be devastated lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She has a record deal. I'm sure she couldn't give a flip about what happened anymore. She won't ever have to go back to the Tesco till.
  • Options
    lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I honestly think the rot began for Mary when the judges repeatedly put pressure on her to sing more 'modern' songs. When she was singing old 'belter' songs which she is comfortable with she was consistently near the top of the leader board. That changed when Louis gave in to the pressure from the other judges for her to sing more contemporary stuff.

Chances are that the novelty would have worn off for the public too hearing big belting songs every week but maybe not? Who knows? We'll never find out now will we? But to me, Mary was shafted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    Why should he praise her? If anything, I suspect he was being dishonest by not criticising her as heavily as he really wanted to.

Surely the loss of the surprise factor played a major role? Even with praise and good slots at the start, her vote was already falling rapidly.

She was good value for a place in the final.She finished 4th in the competition.She probably would have been the first one out on Saturday.....the only bone of contention is that she was robbed of her place in the final.