Kindle help with Downloading books please.

i love skyi love sky Posts: 3,296
Forum Member
✭✭✭
i am going to buy my wife a Kindle as she has always wanted one and she has seen one which has WI-FI but its not touch screen.

So what we would like to know is how can she download books to it and where from?

are they easy to use?

Comments

• alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Is this an older Kindle as all the new ones our touch screen?

You just sign up for an Amazon account and use the Kindle on Wi-Fi to download your books. All nice and easy to use.
  • i love skyi love sky Posts: 3,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Is this an older Kindle as all the new ones our touch screen?

You just sign up for an Amazon account and use the Kindle on Wi-Fi to download your books. All nice and easy to use.

this is the one but can not work out if its touchscreen or not.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5011317.htm
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i love sky wrote: »

It has a 5-way control, it's not a touchscreen model. This means any sort of typing happens on on-screen keyboard with this control navigating through it. Not optimal, but manageable. The best way to purchase books for it is to use a PC and a web browser, but you can use the device, too, only "typing" will be slower.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i love sky wrote: »

That unit is the same price buying it directly from Amazon at the moment. Personally, unless you have a particular reason to buy from Argos, I'd get it from Amazon, because when you buy it, you can stipulate it's a gift and if you have the email address your wife uses for her Amazon account, they can register it to her account before it's shipped to you. That way it will be ready for her to start downloading books straight away.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    If you have the budget for it's I'd recommend the Kindle Paerwhite as the integrated light in the screen is very, very useful.
  • jeffkey1jeffkey1 Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    I recommend using the Calibre Tool (Google it).

"calibre is a free and open source e-book library management application developed by users of e-books for users of e-books. It has a cornucopia of features divided into the following main categories:

Library Management
    E-book conversion
    Syncing to e-book reader devices
    Downloading news from the web and converting it into e-book form
    Comprehensive e-book viewer
    Content server for online access to your book collection
    E-book editor for the major e-book format"
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jeffkey1 wrote: »
    I recommend using the Calibre Tool (Google it).

"calibre is a free and open source e-book library management application developed by users of e-books for users of e-books. It has a cornucopia of features divided into the following main categories:

Library Management
    E-book conversion
    Syncing to e-book reader devices
    Downloading news from the web and converting it into e-book form
    Comprehensive e-book viewer
    Content server for online access to your book collection
    E-book editor for the major e-book format"

Whilst Calibre is an excellent app, and great for conversions and the like, based on the OP's original questions, I think using Calibre is probably a sledgehammer to crack a nut. The OP just needs to know how to connect the Kindle to the internet and how to buy books from Amazon. Anything more than that is probably overly complex for what they want to do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    Simple answer to your question.

go to Amazon, purchase a book you like the look of and switch on the Kindle, make sure the Wi-Fi is on and the book will automatically download to the Kindle ready to be read.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    The Kindle just needs to be connected to your Wi-Fi and then you can buy books from the Kindle store on the Kindle. The book will download and appear on the Kindle's home screen ready for you to read. You can also buy Kindle books from the Kindle section on the Amazon website if you prefer. They'll be sent to your Kindle and download in the same way.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And if you're not aware, you can also install the Kindle app on your phone and tablets, and they will all sync to the latest page read.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when u buy from amazon on a kindle they dowload the book to your kindle. either via wi fi,or 3G if your kindle has that. one of the kindlle options is "go to amazon store" with all the books and u just click on the book you want ...... to use this facility u first need to register the kindle by giving a valid email address and credit card details. u then have an amazon account. or if u already have an amazon account then u just "add" the kihdle ...... basically, it can all easily be done on the actual kindle, via wi fi, or 3G if you have that model ......

if u purchase by accident there is an immediate "oops" button, or for a few days you can sign into your amazon account. which can be done on the kindle via web browser. amazon then remove the book from your kindle

the daily deal is worth checking every day for amazing discounts ......

otherwise u can use the kindle app on a computer.

if connected to a computer via usb socket, the kindle behaves just like a memory stick. you can transfer files (books) off and on it. useful in case the kindle ever needs a "factory reset" which removes all contents .....

calibre converts other ebook formats to kindle format but wont work on encryption prrotected ebooks .....
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    u can also download free books from project gutenberg and other similar sites via the kindle web browser. please note that the latest kindles like paperwhite touch etc only allow this over wi fi and not 3G. but as already said you can transfer any file to your kindle on a usb cable link from a computer ....
  • testcardtestcard Posts: 8,202
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »
    If you have the budget for it's I'd recommend the Kindle Paerwhite as the integrated light in the screen is very, very useful.
    Particularly as Amazon are offering the Paperwhite with a £20 off code until next week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    there is also a site called bookbub which emails you the latest deals from the likes of kindled kobo etc and of course there is your local library where you can get info as to download free ebooks & Ezines as with my local library