Options

conchita wurst

ThugAngelThugAngel Posts: 992
Forum Member
✭✭
I think she has a great voice and is a great singer, anyone else a fan?

Comments

• Options
    Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked RLAP last year but I think he was a pretty terrible host. Well they all were :blush:
  • Options
    kobiashimaruxkobiashimarux Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    Conchita is a fantastic star. Nothing wrong in my book.
  • Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,372
    Forum Member
    I adore her but I don't think hosting is her calling. Her musical performances were brilliant as always, though :)
  • Options
    fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    I'm not really sure what the grab was in the first place? She was terrible at hosting this year and should stay as far away from it as possible. While her musical performances have been far from in tune. Again she only won last year because of the message she was sending (which was awesome) but that doesn't mean she can hold a note. :p Last night was probably the first performance she sang in tune.
  • Options
    Robbo19Robbo19 Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Can we all stop saying "She" and "Her" please, Conchita is a MAN ffs.
  • Options
    DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbo19 wrote: »

No - Tom Neuwirth is a man. Conchita is not a man, but a female character played by a man.

Dame Edna Everidge is a female character played by Barry Humphries.
    Conchita Wurst is a female character played by Tom Neuwirth.

When Humphries is in drag as Dame Edna, we use the feminine pronouns; when he is in 'civvies', we use the masculine. When a show starring Dame Edna is announced, it is as a show starring Dame Edna - not as a show starring Barry Humphries as Dame Edna. Therefore, the same ought to apply to Wurst/Neuwirth. Or not? What's the difference?

The difference is that Dame Edna is played for laughs - she is the ultimate pantomime dame. Conchita Wurst is played as a social political statement, and to provoke reactions (with some success). We can laugh at Dame Edna, but woe betide he (or she) who pokes fun at Ms Wurst, for he (or she) shall reap the wrath of the righteous - especially of those who think themselves more righteous than others.

Other comparisons: Dana International is a transsexual - do we use masculine or feminine grammar? Max Klinger (in MASH) wears dresses in an attempt to be declared mad to get a discharge from the Army - no-one uses 'she' to him, even when he's in drag.

One thing is for sure, though - Tom Neuwirth, whatever he is wearing and wants to call himself, is a fantastic singer.
  • Options
    ppaupyppaupy Posts: 2,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dogmatix wrote: »
    No - Tom Neuwirth is a man. Conchita is not a man, but a female character played by a man.

Dame Edna Everidge is a female character played by Barry Humphries.
    Conchita Wurst is a female character played by Tom Neuwirth.

When Humphries is in drag as Dame Edna, we use the feminine pronouns; when he is in 'civvies', we use the masculine. When a show starring Dame Edna is announced, it is as a show starring Dame Edna - not as a show starring Barry Humphries as Dame Edna. Therefore, the same ought to apply to Wurst/Neuwirth. Or not? What's the difference?

The difference is that Dame Edna is played for laughs - she is the ultimate pantomime dame. Conchita Wurst is played as a social political statement, and to provoke reactions (with some success). We can laugh at Dame Edna, but woe betide he (or she) who pokes fun at Ms Wurst, for he (or she) shall reap the wrath of the righteous - especially of those who think themselves more righteous than others.

Other comparisons: Dana International is a transsexual - do we use masculine or feminine grammar? Max Klinger (in MASH) wears dresses in an attempt to be declared mad to get a discharge from the Army - no-one uses 'she' to him, even when he's in drag.

One thing is for sure, though - Tom Neuwirth, whatever he is wearing and wants to call himself, is a fantastic singer.

What a great post..well said!!..(Sorry I did'nt mean that to sound patronising.)
  • Options
    tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bloke's embarrassing.
  • Options
    zsb37105qtyzzsb37105qtyz Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought she was a great host:blush: (and hilarious too:D)

Her performances were incredible:)
  • Options
    DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tangsman wrote: »
    Bloke's embarrassing.

Assuming you mean Neuwirth - do you mean that you feel embarrassed when you see him as Conchita?

But let me ask you - do you feel the same about Dame Edna Everidge, or Dana International, or Max Klinger (in MASH)? And at the risk of sounding like a schoolmaster setting an essay, if 'yes', why; if 'no', why not?

Dame Edna is an act (Humphries is straight). Dana International is not an act; this is her as she is. Max Klinger, also straight, is not acting anything; he is just wearing womens' dresses for a reason. And Neuwirth? Is Conchita merely a stage act for him? Or does his being gay mean there is more to it than that?

If Neuwirth had sung his song wearing a three-piece suit and no wig, he would not have won - he would probably have achieved the top five with his voice, but the Common Linnets would have won. Neuwirth only won because of his 'gimmick' - just as Sweden only won this year because of the animation 'gimmick'.
  • Options
    chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Queen Conchita should have represented Austria this year.
  • Options
    Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agreed, I cringe every time.
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Conchita. [highlight]SHE[/highlight] is amazing. Although, yeah... she wasn't a great host.
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    her new song 'You are unstoppable' is fantastic...
  • Options
    tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully she/he will never be heard of again now
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tony321 wrote: »
    Hopefully she/he will never be heard of again now
    He/she/it only became famous or in any way noteworthy because they decided to play the freak while everyone fawns and plays along in case they are accused of some ism or other.
    Oh what fun, how liberating - a man with a beard playing the role of a woman.
    Gimme a break...
  • Options
    thengp12thengp12 Posts: 5,671
    Forum Member
    I absolutely LOVE Firestorm. She should do more dance/house/disco songs
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He/she/it only became famous or in any way noteworthy because they decided to play the freak while everyone fawns and plays along in case they are accused of some ism or other.
    Oh what fun, how liberating - a man with a beard playing the role of a woman.
    Gimme a break...

Remind me what year this is ? Let me guess your favourite newspaper is the Daily Mail ?
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Loved her on Saturday. She's clearly not a natural host, but she still had more about her than two of the 'main' hosts. To be honest, I didn't think any of the hosts this year were that good. Certainly no Petra Mede! :D

^_^ Peoples opinions never fail to disappoint. She's a character - no different to Lily Savage or Dame Edna. Why do people make such a reaction about it all. Why can't people just separate her from the the actor???
  • Options
    EuroFoxiEuroFoxi Posts: 12,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Conchita is an inspirational woman. She is a fantastic singer, although granted her hosting abilities weren't the best. That's all I have to say to her haters.
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thengp12 wrote: »
    I absolutely LOVE Firestorm. She should do more dance/house/disco songs
    Me too, I loved the songs she performed, and might just have to download her album. I like her. :)

ETA - OH insists on using the pronoun "him" as well, because he's threatened by the idea of a bloke in a dress. Daft innit! :D
  • Options
    Blossom85Blossom85 Posts: 1,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    Me too, I loved the songs she performed, and might just have to download her album. I like her. :)

I downloaded it a couple of weeks ago and all of the songs are great. Not one filler track, IMO :)
  • Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EuroFoxi wrote: »
    I think Conchita is an inspirational woman. She is a fantastic singer, although granted her hosting abilities weren't the best. That's all I have to say to her haters.

I agree! She is a womanly beacon of femininity. All hail Queen Conchita, long may she reign!
  • Options
    scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was a very good host in the semi finals
  • Options
    da33431da33431 Posts: 48,932
    Forum Member
    EuroFoxi wrote: »

And she would want us to embrace her detractors, so big hugs to you all :D