Options

David Cameron: We need to have a 'big conversation' about aggressive birds

Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
Forum Member
✭✭✭
He’s axed funding into aggressive seagulls but David Cameron wants to have a "big conversation" about what to do with the birds after the public outcry that ensued when they killed a pet dog.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/david-cameron-on-seagulls-we-need-to-have-a-big-conversation-about-aggressive-birds-10398685.html

Dave and his 'big conversations'

There's already been a big conversation Dave, then you axed the funding.

Comments

• Options
    JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    Gosh, Theresa May is not that bad!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously speaking though, they are very much becoming a .nuisance.

I'd say they destroy a fair bit of seaside trade.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nonsense and a virtual NON STORY!
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »

Welcome to the silly season. Normal news will resume in September.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »

So you say Cameron is talking nonsense.

Well, many would say he often does.

Good to see you get stuck into David Cameron.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    He’s axed funding into aggressive seagulls but David Cameron wants to have a "big conversation" about what to do with the birds after the public outcry that ensued when they killed a pet dog.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/david-cameron-on-seagulls-we-need-to-have-a-big-conversation-about-aggressive-birds-10398685.html

Dave and his 'big conversations'

There's already been a big conversation Dave, then you axed the funding.

Perhaps if the public weren't feeding these birds or we weren't driving down fish stocks because of over-fishing by greedy humans, we wouldn't have such a problem with them..... 'Birds kill fish, pinch chips and occassionally killl other animals to survive' shocker, a bit like humans.

What's up with Cameron and animals / nature? First fox hunting, then the implication that gardening requires no more skills than sweeping the streets - lol, obvious it's very easy to make a Chelsea winning garden - now attacking birds for performing natural behaviour when they're hungry..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    Welcome to the silly season. Normal news will resume in September.

Yes, back to bashing poor people.
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    Seriously speaking though, they are very much becoming a .nuisance.

I'd say they destroy a fair bit of seaside trade.

Many gulls now live in urban areas - and in inland rural areas.

I have never, ever heard of people not going to the seaside because of gulls being there too.

I would say the activities of man are more of a nuisance in all of these areas.
  • Options
    THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,452
    Forum Member
    Of course the European Comission want to weaken the laws protecting wildlife throughout the European Community, which at the moment has strong protection through the European Directive on wildlife. And according to the Guardian one of the reasons they are possibly trying to weaken the law is because of the behest of David Cameron. It's a very interesting article from the Guardian newspaper and it's in the environmental section on the Guardian Newspapers website. And as I'm a member of the RSPB and a keen birdwatcher, it's of grave concern to me.
    Ian.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never, ever heard of people not going to the seaside because of gulls being there too.

I was referring to trade of food outlets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are increasingly a nuisance, I don't think there's any doubt about that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    towers wrote: »
    Perhaps if the public weren't feeding these birds or we weren't driving down fish stocks because of over-fishing by greedy humans, we wouldn't have such a problem with them..... 'Birds kill fish, pinch chips and occassionally killl other animals to survive' shocker, a bit like humans.

I agree.

However, it doesn't change the fact that they are increasingly a problem.
  • Options
    Ulysses777Ulysses777 Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would suggest that they have been over-breeding due to humans feeding them in the past, and now that more and more local authorities are warning against feeding them, it's now a case of too many of them, too little food.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, back to bashing poor people.

Harshest criticism of the Labour Party Conference ever - though this year maybe :D
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,932
    Forum Member
    I live near the coast in Cornwall and over the last 3 or 4 years there's been a gradual ramping up of strong advice being given by local councils - especially with regards to leaving food out - gulls are becoming rampant these days down here. Hardly anyone leaves old bread/food out any more for smaller birds, they just get driven off or attacked by the gulls.

Of course not being able to 'officially' remove gull nests from town roofs has massively made it worse too. There was a time we could restrict them to cliffs and so on for nesting.

Just a massive lack of common sense in general towards the issue. It would be so easy to take a few steps to limit their impact on the human population.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,596
    Forum Member
    Glad to see our PM concentrating on the serious issues.
  • Options
    AristaeusAristaeus Posts: 9,974
    Forum Member
    *insufferable pedant alert*

There's technically no such thing as a seagull.
  • Options
    GTR DavoGTR Davo Posts: 4,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulls and foxes are major pests in urban areas! I cant see how Cameron can do anything about them though? If you are attacked however, just kill the thing.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    A conversation, 'big' or otherwise, usually involves listening as well as talking. I don't think Cameron really wants that, not unless he gets to pick all the participants anyway.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People that are aware of the gull problem but turn a blind eye to it that are as bad as the gulls themselves. Apparently.
  • Options
    RobMilesRobMiles Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenzen wrote: »
    Gosh, Theresa May is not that bad!

I think he was talking about the Eagle sisters!
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many gulls now live in urban areas - and in inland rural areas.

I would say the activities of man are more of a nuisance in all of these areas.

They always did, many gulls nest inland and the term "seagull" is something of a misnomer in many instances.
  • Options
    BillyJamesTBillyJamesT Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Put a bounty on them, £5 a wing, that'll get the numbers down.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Big" is David Cameron's favourite word when he wants to do exactly nothing.

Any politician with a loose association with telling the truth eventually get's to the point where their various tricks become obvious.
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    GTR Davo wrote: »
    Gulls and foxes are major pests in urban areas! I cant see how Cameron can do anything about them though? If you are attacked however, just kill the thing.

Ah! The return of our gun totin' poster, right on cue.