Government to allow benefit claiments to talk about their intention to kill themself

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RubyNyx wrote: »
    Iain Duncan Smith ought to be held responsible for crimes against humanity.

I'd personally not bother with a trial and just give him the Electric Chair

He presides over a vindictive shambles
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Indeed. I'd say it was a rare thing for someone to kill themselves without reaching out in some way first.

I dunno, when I attempted via an overdose, I didn't tell anyone, I didn't write a note. I never really thought about asking for help. At the time, I'd just decided that I knew the way out.

It's actually dumb luck that I'm still here, if my mum wasn't an insomniac...

As I said, there is some truth to what that poster wrote, but it's certainly not universal...conversely, I've helped people who have reached out, I spent a lot of time in the well-being sector, and many people do reach out.
  • CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Jol44 wrote: »
    "80 suicide cases were directly to benefit cuts."

How many suicides were directly due to tax bills ?

Are hmrc going to allow those struggling with tax bills to talk about their suicidal tendencies ?

Do you feel the same empathy for struggling tax payers as you do for struggling benefit recipients ?
  • DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
    comment in the comments section of that article

SOMERSET SAGE 1 hours ago
    I spent some years as a Samaritan. Talking to suicidal people requires some skill and empathy. In later years one of my roles was to de-brief volunteers (we were all volunteers) after their shift. Even when one is prepared and trained, some contacts can have a huge impact. The effect on people of having to listen to this depth of despair could be devastating.
    Oddly enough the two things IS lacks
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oddly enough the two things IS lacks

So IS is driving this, makes sense now. Undermining the infidels has become very clandestine :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CSJB wrote: »
    How many suicides were directly due to tax bills ?

Are hmrc going to allow those struggling with tax bills to talk about their suicidal tendencies ?

Do you feel the same empathy for struggling tax payers as you do for struggling benefit recipients ?

A tax bills is normally the result of lack of awareness or mismanagement. The only lack of awareness or mismanagement benefit claimants are likely to display is the inability to second guess the mood of an adviser or inability to manage them.

Having said that, those who receive unexpected tax bills through lack of awareness are afforded considerably more latitude than someone on the end of a sanction.
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Jol44 wrote: »
    "80 suicide cases were directly to benefit cuts."

How many people on benefits committed suicide before the cuts?
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »
    "Well, we've assessed your position and concluded that you are fit to apply for work."

"I'll kill myself then."

"Oh, alright, we'll keep you on benefits."

More like ..

""Well, we've assessed your position and concluded that you are fit to apply for work."

"I'll kill myself then."

"Oh, alright, well you'll still be considered fit for work, Being dead isn't a good enough excuse".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dunno, when I attempted via an overdose, I didn't tell anyone, I didn't write a note. I never really thought about asking for help. At the time, I'd just decided that I knew the way out.

It's actually dumb luck that I'm still here, if my mum wasn't an insomniac...

As I said, there is some truth to what that poster wrote, but it's certainly not universal...conversely, I've helped people who have reached out, I spent a lot of time in the well-being sector, and many people do reach out.

You're no doubt one of those rarities but I'd be surprised if you hadn't reached out in some way prior to it, maybe without even realising.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Well, we've assessed your position and concluded that you are fit to apply for work."

"I'll kill myself then."

"Oh, alright, we'll keep you on benefits."

That's not counseling. Counseling is to help you deal with the situation, not change the situation. If you think that claiming you're on the brink of suicide will keep your benefits, you're really not getting it!
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    That's not counseling. Counseling is to help you deal with the situation, not change the situation. If you think that claiming you're on the brink of suicide will keep your benefits, you're really not getting it!

The Job Centre staff are not being trained in counselling - and nor should they be. They are being trained in how to deal with people who say they are suicidal. My guess is they give them a leaflet and a few handy tips, like calling the Samaritans or going to see their GP.
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    More like ..

""Well, we've assessed your position and concluded that you are fit to apply for work."

"I'll kill myself then."

"Oh, alright, well you'll still be considered fit for work, Being dead isn't a good enough excuse".

Thats to bring it into line with the one about making yourself intentionally homeless. That doesn't entitle you to jump the housing queue. Best to opt for cremation in your will, then they can't wire you up frankenstein style, and put you to work:D
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    I don't know...

I mean a lot of these cases I've read where people killed themselves did it almost automatically when in all likelihood they would have won on appeal. I would suggest that such a kneejerk reaction is the result of the straw that broke the camels back and it's probably not fair to blame entirely on cuts, as with most suicides, it's rarely one reason. That's not to say dying is OK, of course it's not, but I think it's overdramatic to blame it entirely on benefit cuts.

There is no way call centre staff should have to listen to that unless they are both trained to and want to.
  • CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    A tax bills is normally the result of lack of awareness or mismanagement. The only lack of awareness or mismanagement benefit claimants are likely to display is the inability to second guess the mood of an adviser or inability to manage them.

Having said that, those who receive unexpected tax bills through lack of awareness are afforded considerably more latitude than someone on the end of a sanction.

Unpaid tax bills are generally because the tax payer has no funds to pay it.
    There're many reasons for this, the main one being a sudden downturn in business.
    Having a business collapse isn't because of mismanagement of lack of awareness, it's just something that happens to many thousands of people every year.
    Many are driven to suicide and if you think the hmrc are in anyway helpful, then you obviously have never had any dealings with the useless incompetent ****s.
    Money worries are probably one of the main causes of suicide in this country, and I don't see why benefit claimants should be treated any differently then those who have the rug pulled from beneath their feet by hmrc.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the Information Commissioner’s Office in England which ruled on 30 April that the DWP should disclose data that would show the number of benefits claimants who had died after being found fit to work.
    Read more at http://thirdforcenews.org.uk/tfn-news/over-235000-signatures-yet-dwp-wont-release-benefit-related-death-figures#dQc11G6eJYH2PpOW.99

Still not happened.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    the Information Commissioner’s Office in England which ruled on 30 April that the DWP should disclose data that would show the number of benefits claimants who had died after being found fit to work.
    Read more at http://thirdforcenews.org.uk/tfn-news/over-235000-signatures-yet-dwp-wont-release-benefit-related-death-figures#dQc11G6eJYH2PpOW.99

Still not happened.

Happening tomorrow apparently, although we won't be told actual numbers as it'll apparently be "too inflammatory". It'll just be percentages as far as i understand.
    Forum Member

Still not happened.

In fairness I guess the problem is, it's difficult to determine if deaths are directly as a result of a cut rather than just a contributing factor or unrelated and they've died of their illness or died in some other way.

I'd be in full support of such information being released if they could determine such a thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    In fairness I guess the problem is, it's difficult to determine if deaths are directly as a result of a cut rather than just a contributing factor or unrelated and they've died of their illness or died in some other way.

I'd be in full support of such information being released if they could determine such a thing.
    In the instances in my quote above, this is about people who were told they were fit to work when they subsequently died due to their illnesses/disability - therefore not fit for work at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Job Centre staff are not being trained in counselling - and nor should they be. They are being trained in how to deal with people who say they are suicidal. My guess is they give them a leaflet and a few handy tips, like calling the Samaritans or going to see their GP.

Its counseling with a little 'c', or empathy if you like. Counseling doesn't have to be just 'pull up a bean bag and tell me your problems'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CSJB wrote: »
    Unpaid tax bills are generally because the tax payer has no funds to pay it.
    There're many reasons for this, the main one being a sudden downturn in business.
    Having a business collapse isn't because of mismanagement of lack of awareness, it's just something that happens to many thousands of people every year.
    Many are driven to suicide and if you think the hmrc are in anyway helpful, then you obviously have never had any dealings with the useless incompetent ****s.
    Money worries are probably one of the main causes of suicide in this country, and I don't see why benefit claimants should be treated any differently then those who have the rug pulled from beneath their feet by hmrc.

Yep, had dealings twice over underpaid tax. On both occasions they were sympathetic and reasonable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More like ..

"I'll kill myself then."

Are you saying the DWP are like the Borg? 'Death is irrelevant!' :D
    Forum Member
    In the instances in my quote above, this is about people who were told they were fit to work when they subsequently died due to their illnesses/disability - therefore not fit for work at all.

Oh, I see. Fair enough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you saying the DWP are like the Borg? 'Death is irrelevant!' :D

Exactly :). I think "Resistance is futile" applies as well!
  • scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More info here
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/13620988.display/

Why is IDS obsessed with 6 ?
    6 benefits into one
    6 point plan