Options

870 Epg updates help

*Clem**Clem* Posts: 4,101
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I just wondered if this is normal. Three times a day for TWO hours each time, my dvd player does the EPG updates while it's on standby. Is that right and if not how do I stop it? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    *Clem* wrote: »
    I just wondered if this is normal. Three times a day for TWO hours each time, my dvd player does the EPG updates while it's on standby. Is that right and if not how do I stop it? Thanks.

It is normal, no way of switching it off.

Its not a software update its checking for.

Its the EPG guide its checking to see if the programs start time has changed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, I'm glad that's normal! Thanks for your reply. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    On my HX525 I turned it off by running the setup sequence and not entering a post code.
    It still comes on from time to time but usually just for a short period.

Of course I now have no EPG so have to set my recordings manually but I don't find that much of a hardship.
  • Options
    el1aineel1aine Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    Spoon, thanks for this info - I've been puzzling over the number of updates, so this puts my mind at rest!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    el1aine wrote: »
    Spoon, thanks for this info - I've been puzzling over the number of updates, so this puts my mind at rest!

I'm trying to remember at what times the updates are.

I remember 2pm.

I think there's one in the morning, was it 10am?

I do remember there is one in the middle of the night, was it 3am?

I bet there are other times, but have not been around to notice them.

I would not want the Sony in my bedroom since I'm a light sleeper, the hardrive and fan would definitely wake me up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    *Clem* wrote: »

I have just re read your post, I missed the TWO hours bit.

The Sony switches on several times a day, like 2pm.

I forget how long its on for but its something like 10 to 15 minutes.

This is to check the freeview epg guide for any changes.

Also when you have EPG Link set to on, the machine will switch on 20 minutes early to make sure its ready for the program to start.

All the above is if you are using the freeview (digital) program guide.

If you have set the Sony to guide+ mode its totally different, read the owners manual, with PDC or something it can be on for hours or even never switch off according to the book I think?
  • Options
    TV DUNIYATV DUNIYA Posts: 6,772
    Forum Member
    The Guideplus epg listings updates are approx. 2 hours in length,and happen twice,in 24hours.
    2.58am and 6.58pm
    You can check the time of the previous and next download in the Guide plus system info screen.
    These are displayed as UPDATE on the front display.
    In addtion,you still have the epg updates,as already mentioned above.
    These are displayed as EPG,on the front display.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TV DUNIYA wrote: »
    The Guideplus epg listings updates are approx. 2 hours in length,and happen twice,in 24hours.
    2.58am and 6.58pm

I'd love to know what genius at Sony thought 6.58pm would be a good time to start a 2 hour update!
  • Options
    TV DUNIYATV DUNIYA Posts: 6,772
    Forum Member
    inkfinger wrote: »
    I'd love to know what genius at Sony thought 6.58pm would be a good time to start a 2 hour update!

Thankfully,it only updates,if in standby,and doesn't update if the recorder is on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TV DUNIYA wrote: »
    Thankfully,it only updates,if in standby,and doesn't update if the recorder is on.

True, but I found mine didn't seem to want to be disturbed once the update was underway - took several goes with the power button on the remote to wake it up sometimes!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spoon261 wrote: »
    All the above is if you are using the freeview (digital) program guide.

If you have set the Sony to guide+ mode its totally different, read the owners manual, with PDC or something it can be on for hours or even never switch off according to the book I think?

Yeah I'll have another read of the book as I think it is set as guide+. My player comes on at roughly 2-4 pm, 7-9pm and I noticed it in the early morning- I can't remember the time as I was half asleep but I it could hear it buzzing! Lol.