Options

Half Leg of Lamb - Very slow roast?

2»

Comments

• Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course, the more the merrier, can you bring some Colemans Mint Sauce with you? Can't get it here...:(:D

:eek: You can't have lamb without a big dollop of Colemans mint sauce!
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    :eek: You can't have lamb without a big dollop of Colemans mint sauce!

I know but I had no choice, I had to make my own for the first time and............................ i like it!

Large handful of mint leaves finely chopped into a bowl, add two tablespoons of caster sugar, then two tablespoons of hot water and stir and leave 5 minutes for the sugar to disolve. Finally stir in two tablespoons of white wine vinegar and leave to infuse for 1-2 hours. Bloody lovely!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    Glad you liked it. Might I suggest trying it with shoulder next. I think it is far nicer than leg personally.

We had shoulder, but I think I could have cooked it longer as there was still fat on it, it was fabulous though and I will certainly do it again. Thank you indianwells
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fannyadams wrote: »
    We had shoulder, but I think I could have cooked it longer as there was still fat on it, it was fabulous though and I will certainly do it again. Thank you indianwells

I did mine for 6 hours and yes, there is still fat on it as it is a fatty cut of meat. it is a bit fiddly to remove it but taking the foil off for the last hour helps to render the fat off the meat. Glad you enjoyed it!:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually trimmed the meat of quite a lot of the fat, but I will certainly try it for an hour longer and take the foil off for that last hour to see if that helps. I reduced the cooking juices down and I have to say the gravy was fabulous. All in all a success.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did a shoulder of lamb last week using cider and honey, and even though I say it myself it was bl00dy brilliant, the cider and honey gravy was fantastic, my children were licking their plates :o

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/print/welshhoneyedlamb_8177.shtml

Although I cooked it at a lower heat for three hours.
  • Options
    LemonhunnyLemonhunny Posts: 1,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just about to put mine in the oven!:)
    http://i34.tinypic.com/nb278m.jpg

In about 5-6 hours it will be gorgeous I hope. Don't worry, it's not for a midnight feast, i'm in the US and it's only coming up to noon.
    In there are carrots, celery, leek, red onion rosemary, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper, and red wine. Oh, and a 5.5 pound lamb shoulder.

Shoulder is SO much better than the leg! I bet that only looks half as good as it tasted.

I agree that shoulder is fattier than leg of lamb, but it's worth getting shoulder because of the very much sweeter meat.

Asda don't sell whole shoulders which I find very odd. They only do half shoulders, the fillet half having the neck fillet attached. But the local butcher is always there to supply me with a whole shoulder, or a hand of pork - another vanishing cut of the sweetest meat.
  • Options
    Ellie666Ellie666 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my wife hated roast lamb shoulder until i started slow cooking - makes so much difference - drool!!
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lemonhunny wrote: »
    Shoulder is SO much better than the leg! I bet that only looks half as good as it tasted.

I agree that shoulder is fattier than leg of lamb, but it's worth getting shoulder because of the very much sweeter meat.

Asda don't sell whole shoulders which I find very odd. They only do half shoulders, the fillet half having the neck fillet attached. But the local butcher is always there to supply me with a whole shoulder, or a hand of pork - another vanishing cut of the sweetest meat.

We found that about Asda. They used to sell whole shoulders fresh and frozen but then they stopped both.

There are no decent butchers near us that are in easy reach at least, so when we are after a whole shoulder we have a trip to Morrison's. They always seem to have some, although not always on display most of the time we have to ask at the butchers counter for one.
  • Options
    fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couldn't get a shoulder in Sainsburys this week :( - so I am doing a half leg again. Its in the oven, nearly ready now, and smells divine.

I'm going to try something with it that I have never tried before - got some maya gold potatoes, which I am going to lightly boil, then sauté them in butter in a shallow frying pan - no idea how they will turn out, but I'll try anything once :D
  • Options
    missloomissloo Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might do lamb for OH next weekend, he isnt a big fan but i might be able to convert him with the slow roasted option!
  • Options
    fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    missloo wrote: »
    I might do lamb for OH next weekend, he isnt a big fan but i might be able to convert him with the slow roasted option!

I think you will - I hated lamb, yet I've had it two weeks running now - seems I wasn't cooking it well enough to give it a chance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you will - I hated lamb, yet I've had it two weeks running now - seems I wasn't cooking it well enough to give it a chance.

Yay! FC is a convert!:D I haven't found anyone who hasn't been turned by slow roasted lamb. I think the slow cooking increases the depth of flavour and of course the melting tenderness of the meat is a factor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I am not keen on roast lamb, I do not like fatty meat and so generally go for lamb shank or lamb mince but being Easter and the fact my OH loves it, I've bought a half boneless leg of lamb. I've trawled the net for a recipe that meets my needs and am going to try this.... as its only half leg I'm thinking 4 hours might do and will use a smaller tin and slightly less ingredients. I really hope it works!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can also do it in a slow cooker if it fits. All day in there with the usual rosemary and garlic and it's amazing. We had to saw the end off a leg once to get it to fit.
  • Options
    norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,678
    Forum Member
    Just popped in to thank you all. Did this for the family today for Easter lunch. Delicious.
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    I'm not to keen on slow roosting the leg, I like it pink in the middle. Shoulder is the cut of slow roasting.