Finally...sensible cutbacks

Charcole911Charcole911 Posts: 6,353
Forum Member
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3319795/Lollipop-patrols-to-get-chop.html

Sick of seeing them at traffic lights! Either walk your own kids to school or teach them how to cross roads!

Comments

• euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found them incredibly useful when I was at school, having to cross a busy road to get there.

Yes, some are in strange places, but same time, they are, in certain places, invaluable
  • ThinWhitePukeThinWhitePuke Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    Good

Parents should teach their kids the green cross code no need for lollypop people
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3319795/Lollipop-patrols-to-get-chop.html

Sick of seeing them at traffic lights! Either walk your own kids to school or teach them how to cross roads!

The only way I can turn into the one-way street where I work is when the lollipop lady holds up the oncoming traffic. There would be loads of accidents without her. Kids will get hurt.
    Forum Member
    The only way I can turn into the one-way street where I work is when the lollipop lady holds up the oncoming traffic. There would be loads of accidents without her. Kids will get hurt.

If kids are taught the green cross code then no one need get hurt, if parents don't teach it then schools should teach it to the youngest ones, I fail to see the need for lollypop people they just hold up traffic
  • RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are the stats for kids getting run over in pre-lolly lady days? They were presumably introduced on the basis of something.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good

Parents should teach their kids the green cross code no need for lollypop people

There are many reasons why children are more likely to have trouble crossing a road safely, even after being taught the green cross code.
    It's also not as simple as the parent walking them to/collecting them from school these days as so many parents have to work outside school hours.
  • euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If kids are taught the green cross code then no one need get hurt, if parents don't teach it then schools should teach it to the youngest ones, I fail to see the need for lollypop people they just hold up traffic

Surely that's the point of them? Holding up traffic so kids can get across safely, rather than they maybe having to dash across a busy road?
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "All 60 staff will go in Northamptonshire, saving Town Hall chiefs £201,000."

And this from a council who awarded themselves huge pay increases not two years ago - the leader of which took a 43% rise and Guildhall members took a 55% rise each. All despite a then £7m black hole in the council budget.

The people of Northamptonshire would do well to remember this when the council elections come about.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

School crossing patrols at traffic lights are there to stop the children following their natural tendency to sprint across the road whenever they see a little gap in the traffic. They can also work on behalf of drivers, preventing them having to stop while and entire school try to cross the road three at a time, forcing the cars to stop for a good 10 minutes. I have experienced this outside Harrow School if their crossing warden is absent. They should surely be assessed on a case by case basis.
    Forum Member
    Labour councils will cut frontline services in order to make a point to the government and to be spiteful, there will be plenty more headlines like these

Instead of cutting salaries of the layers of management and getting rid of the Eritrean One Armed Lesbians Outreach Co-Ordinator at £45k a year they will shut down the local library or stop collecting rubbish
  • SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aren't drivers also to blame.

If more drivers had the courtesy to stop at zebra crossings, instead of zipping through them maybe we wouldn't need as many crossing patrols.

If drivers also obeyed speed limits - and those limits were reduced around schools then it would further dcrease the need.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Labour councils will cut frontline services in order to make a point to the government and to be spiteful, there will be plenty more headlines like these

Instead of cutting salaries of the layers of management and getting rid of the Eritrean One Armed Lesbians Outreach Co-Ordinator at £45k a year they will shut down the local library or stop collecting rubbish

I agree.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Our Tory Nottinghamshire County Council has been making these cuts before the General Election & cuts even happened, despite having been left over £150m in reserves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    invis
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    euphie wrote: »
    Surely that's the point of them? Holding up traffic so kids can get across safely, rather than they maybe having to dash across a busy road?

This is exactly the point of them.
  • asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    i hate lollipop men more than white van man. they truly think they own the road by us - stopping traffic when the lights aren't on red, pressing the button and stopping traffic when there's no flamin kids to cross the road etc etc.

i even heard some lollipop men were going to have spy cameras in their poles to report bad drivers.

glad to see the back of them - but on the other hand they do need keeping in the countryside where roads don't have green/red man pelican crossings.
  • Color of NightColor of Night Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The road outside my grandson's school is terrible, its a long straight stretch of road & the drivers that go up & down don't care how fast they go, no way would they be able to stop in time for a child running in to the road. On saying that the lollypop lady that stands there is just about useless, she spends most of her time with her back to the kids which she chats to the parents coming & going to the school. When she is off we have an older man there who is great & even the drivers seem to prefer him as he show respect to them as well as the kids.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Surely we should be encouraging our veal crate children to walk to school more rather than making the roads even more dangerous? If they are going to do this they need to bring in a 20mph speed limit around schools at the very least.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    Surely we should be encouraging our veal crate children to walk to school more rather than making the roads even more dangerous? If they are going to do this they need to bring in a 20mph speed limit around schools at the very least.

I seem to recall that the Tories and Lib Dems accused Labour of 'nanny statism' when they put forward the idea of a 20mph speed limit outside of schools, so I don't think it'll be implemented any time soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

cosmo wrote: »
    I agree.

I agree too!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    "All 60 staff will go in Northamptonshire, saving Town Hall chiefs £201,000."

And this from a council who awarded themselves huge pay increases not two years ago - the leader of which took a 43% rise and Guildhall members took a 55% rise each. All despite a then £7m black hole in the council budget.

The people of Northamptonshire would do well to remember this when the council elections come about.

We will :mad:
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    More dead kids. Another great Cameron policy.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to recall that the Tories and Lib Dems accused Labour of 'nanny statism' when they put forward the idea of a 20mph speed limit outside of schools, so I don't think it'll be implemented any time soon.

I seem to remember the Conservatives making pledges that they've not kept ..... or doesn't look as though they're going to keep them anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    More dead kids. Another great Cameron policy.

Cameron didn't make the decision. The council leaders did.

But then again, explaining that to some people is a worthless exercise.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member

I wouldn't like it either, but I also don't like the thought of children being killed on the roads just because our penny pinching government would rather risk children than increase taxes on rich people.