True or False: Hollyoaks will be cancelled by the end of 2011

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
Forum Member
I hate to say it be i think it will happen. They are getting crushed by almost every other soap including Neighbours in the viewers. Even Home & Away beat them before Christmas there with Hollyoaks getting their lowest rating of all time on C4. Now they're struggling to get above 1 million viewers, despite the show being great at the moment, the scorebored isn't on it's side.

Comments

• EELoverEELover Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    False, I think it will have to fall a lot more before cancelling it is contemplated
  • PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
    Forum Member
    False.
  • cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    I don't. C4 have invested a lot in helping Lime pull the show back together. It's paying off in terms of quality. There's a buzz about it. Viewing figures have been hitting above 1.5 mill for the first time in a long time.

I'm pretty hopeful that it will get some word of mouth positive news spreading. It deserves to get more viewers than it does right now.
  • The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    False, it's better than it's been for a long time, if it was going to get cancelled, it would have been when it sucked
  • Dan SDan S Posts: 1,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    False.
  • JJAMUFCJJAMUFC Posts: 1,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    False. C4 are happy with it and its performing well, why should they?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,980
    Forum Member
    Cancelled on Ch4-yes. But commissioned for E4 exclusively. My prediction anyway.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cancelled on Ch4-yes. But commissioned for E4 exclusively. My prediction anyway.

I think that's where it will go as E4 will have a lot of spare capacity with the end of Friends and Big Brother. It could be a good business move for the channel. However, if ratings do slump any further and sometimes Brookside in its death throes had more viewers, then Hollyoaks will go.
  • Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    False. Show is in good form at the moment.

Even with Oaks low ratings (from what is used to get) what else does channel 4 have that performs reasonably well above it? Not much. Especialy now Big Brother is over.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    False. I think it's on the up, also they have just signed a new sponsorship deal for a year starting from January.
  • BellaroooBellarooo Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    False, its actually getting alot better
  • MrBingMrBing Posts: 2,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    False. It has significantly improved recently and the ratings have steadily increased in the last few months - it's just going through it's usual Christmas/New Year slump.
  • RainRain Posts: 9,688
    Forum Member
    You've joined just to say that. To cause trouble.
  • Raven123Raven123 Posts: 3,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrBing wrote: »
    False. It has significantly improved recently and the ratings have steadily increased in the last few months - it's just going through it's usual Christmas/New Year slump.

Oh come on...are you one of those who in June, says that it has hit it's usual Summer slump.

All soaps perform well in December/ January, don't use that as an excuse.

You quite clearly contradicted yourself there as well, by admiting that ratings are low - usual Xmas slump and also saying figures are increasing ;)

In which figures aren't increasing at all, they are all over the place, some days 1.4 million, somedays 900k and below.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They better not,from me its the best soap on TV at the moment,I've loved it since PM took over.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris_TV wrote: »
    False. Show is in good form at the moment.

Even with Oaks low ratings (from what is used to get) what else does channel 4 have that performs reasonably well above it? Not much. Especialy now Big Brother is over.

Quite a lot actually -

The Simpsons
    Come Dine With Me
    Coach Trip
    Four in a Bed
    Deal or No Deal
    Grand Designs
    Kirstie and Phil
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah this is what I think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True. If Paul Marquess remains there to destroy it.

Ratings continue to fall despite the desperate attempt to throw sensational storylines at it; despite Warren coming back from the dead, and murders and deaths left right and centre this show is in free fall.

It needs to completely turn itself around, and tell credible stories with credible characters who we actually care about. It needs to rediscover its heart and soul. But as long as Marquess remains there it has no chance of that.

Marquess was the kiss of death for Brookside, Family Affairs and The Bill. He needs to be booted out ASAP if Hollyoaks is to survive beyond 2011.
  • cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    bobsicle wrote: »

Ratings continue to fall despite the desperate attempt to throw sensational storylines at it; despite Warren coming back from the dead, and murders and deaths left right and centre this show is in free fall.

It needs to completely turn itself around, and tell credible stories with credible characters who we actually care about. It needs to rediscover its heart and soul. But as long as Marquess remains there it has no chance of that.

Marquess was the kiss of death for Brookside, Family Affairs and The Bill. He needs to be booted out ASAP if Hollyoaks is to survive beyond 2011.

Honestly, this is just rubbish.

I can barely even be bothered to reply. I'm glad PM's in charge, not you. And I sincerely hope he stays, and the viewing figures get closer to what they deserve to be.

There's a great balance of SLs and characters at the moment - that I actually care about. And the ratings aren't in freefall, that's just nonsense. They've climbed steadily but inconsistently.

The show is doing just great. It hasn't taken everyone with it, through all the changes. Maybe you're one of the ones it's lost. But that's not the end of the world.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There's a great balance of SLs and characters at the moment - that I actually care about. And the ratings aren't in freefall, that's just nonsense. They've climbed steadily but inconsistently.

The show is doing just great. It hasn't taken everyone with it, through all the changes. Maybe you're one of the ones it's lost. But that's not the end of the world.

I think it's a bit wishy washy at the moment, some episodes are good, it builds up nicely and then it turns bad again and so on.

The ratings prove this further, you can see when the quality drops when figures drastically dip by as much as half a million viewers.

The one think it is seriously lacking and has been for years is consistency.

Bringing Mandy and Warren back is possibly the worst thing PM has done next to dropping The Ashworths. If he hadn't brought them back it would have ran a lot smoother and those few weeks of terrible re-editing may not have happened, Inferno week wasn't necessary for a couple of months imo.

The King of hearts later episode was very pointless, could have just been a normal showing.

All these things have something in common, trying to rapidly increase ratings, but I think it has back-fired.

Hollyoaks needs to lose the sensationalist crap and go back to basics.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    bobsicle wrote: »

Disagree with what you said because i feel PM has brought Hollyoaks from its worst ever era into one of it's best. I think all of the storylines at the minute are top class and the actors have never been better... Hollyoaks has began to escape from the stereotype that none of the cast can act.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Raven123 wrote: »
    Hollyoaks needs to lose the sensationalist crap and go back to basics.

Here here!
  • ::Adam::::Adam:: Posts: 7,223
    Forum Member
    The show's signed up untill 2012 - and from what someone was saying on twitter - C4 are more than happy with it at the mo
  • RainRain Posts: 9,688
    Forum Member
    Best it's ever been for me. Love Marquess' era!!!

Hope it never goes back to basics... the boring old days of when it really did get panned.