The Ratings Thread (Part 15)

Comments

• RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Marple has never been some sort of ratings powerhouse though, at least not recently. The fact that so many editions are being shown this Christmas shows that ITV don't see them as being a major hit either.

I expected Rock and Chips to beat Marple by at least a million, if not 2m.

Had they gone head to head at 9pm, I'd be inclined to agree.
  • jonnyblackjonnyblack Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Good night for E4, with a particularly good rating for the Hollyoaks first look:

E4 [inc +1]
    19:00 - Hollyoaks: 706,200
    19:30 - FILM: The Simpsons Movie: 888,400

Clearly the mini cliff-hanger ending does draw the viewers in. What will be interesting is if we see a drop off on the C4 showing tomorrow since more have already watched it.
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,279
    Forum Member
    If I was being charitable to the BSI, there was some degree of logic in a "midway" slot because the storyline went from just before Christmas up to New Year's Eve. I can see why they wouldn't air a New Year's Eve climaxing storyline on Christmas Eve/Day/Boxing Day - likewise, by NYD, a storyline covering Christmas Day would be past history.

However, I think 9pm on NYD would have been the best slot for it, with an EE lead-in and a bit more visibility on the promotion side.
    On the Subject of New Years Day
    There's only really EastEnders.

Last year they had TOTP, EastEnders,Dr who,EastEnders,Creek did they not?
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »

It's because New Year's Day falls on a Saturday. It was a similar story in 2005.
  • sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,473
    Forum Member
    dan2008 wrote: »

Last year had Who, EE and Gavin and Stacey - but to be fair, that was pretty exceptional for a NYD line up.

This year they've got Indiana Jones, which is perhaps their biggest movie of the fortnight, in the early evening slot - followed by the new Saturday night show, The Magicians, before EE at 8.30. I think thats pretty strong, but I'll admit 9pm is poorer with Come Fly With Me (though god knows how that'll perform) and Live at the Apollo. Actually, NYD at 9 could have been a good one for Rock and Chips.

No doubt the figure for R+C was poor last night. We knew the scheduling was highly suspect, but I was still expecting around 6m. The Easter special could make or break the future of the show now. The Polar Bears documentary outperformed expectations though, so credit for that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sn_22 wrote: »
    Last year had Who, EE and Gavin and Stacey - but to be fair, that was pretty exceptional for a NYD line up.

This year they've got Indiana Jones, which is perhaps their biggest movie of the fortnight, in the early evening slot - followed by the new Saturday night show, The Magicians, before EE at 8.30. I think thats pretty strong, but I'll admit 9pm is poorer with Come Fly With Me (though god knows how that'll perform) and Live at the Apollo. Actually, NYD at 9 could have been a good one for Rock and Chips.

No doubt the figure for R+C was poor last night. We knew the scheduling was highly suspect, but I was still expecting around 6m. The Easter special could make or break the future of the show now. The Polar Bears documentary outperformed expectations though, so credit for that.

The Beeb's "biggie" for NYD is the Eric and Ernie drama on BBC2. The BSI have certainly complementary scheduled on BBC1/2 at 9pm.

After the sheer awfulness of CFWM ep 1, I wouldn't be too astonished if E&E won its slot.
  • ScoreScore Posts: 17,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Beeb's "biggie" for NYD is the Eric and Ernie drama on BBC2. The BSI have certainly complementary scheduled on BBC1/2 at 9pm.

After the sheer awfulness of CFWM ep 1, I wouldn't be too astonished if E&E won its slot.

I doubt CFWM will be that low but I can't see it doing too well. I think there's an outside chance of Take Me Out beating it but that's unlikely this week I reckon. In a few weeks time it could be a very different story, and I definitely expect Kidnap and Ransom to be outrating it in a couple of weeks.
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Thanks - what on earth was Christmas Night with the Stars?

This is a bit late, but Christmas Night With The Stars in 2003 was basically Parkinson, a usual edition of his show but I think they had a few stand-ups on as well. And yes, it was opposite Coronation Street.

And now you can sleep easy.
  • Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,762
    Forum Member
    I really dont think Rock and Chips' rating deserves an "ouch", from the way some are carrying on you would have thought it got 3m.

Its lower than I expected and 2m down from its debut but there were plenty of reasons why. Scheduled in no mans land between Christmas and New Year, starting an hour into a drama on ITV, bearly no promotion at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Come Fly With Me was in a better slot at 10pm, but numbers will still drop.
  • PJMillarPJMillar Posts: 3,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Georged123 wrote: »
    I really dont think Rock and Chips' rating deserves an "ouch", from the way some are carrying on you would have thought it got 3m.

Its lower than I expected and 2m down from its debut but there were plenty of reasons why. Scheduled in no mans land between Christmas and New Year, starting an hour into a drama on ITV, bearly no promotion at all.

Quite similar to Whitechapel - the problem is of course, creatively, Whitechapel was being stretched, while surely Rock & Chips should be getting into its stride. Having said that, Whitechapel was in the familiar 9pm Monday slot, while Rock & Chips was in a Wednesday slot starting an hour into Marple.

It's swings and roundabouts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure I agree those disagreeing with the 'ouch'... need I remind people of the opposition for the first Rock and Chips episode?
    BBC One
    20:00- Lark Rise to Candelford: 6.23m (21.9%)
    21:00- Rock & Chips: 7.5m (27.8%)

BBC Two
    20:00- Best of Top Gear: 2.19m (7.7%)
    21:00- The Great Rift: Africa’s Wild Heart: 2m (7.3%)
    22:00- Lost Kingdoms of Africa: 1m (5.1%)

ITV1
    18:25- Dancing on Ice: 8.43m (31.3%)
    20:45- Wild at Heart: 6.4m (22.7%)
    21:45- Dancing on Ice: The Skate Off: 6.48m (24.4%)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure I agree those disagreeing with the 'ouch'... need I remind people of the opposition for the first Rock and Chips episode?

What's your point? The opposition was tougher in January than it was last night.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me Rock and Chips did not deserve a better slot primarily because it wasnt very good. The female lead is good, not sure about Nicholas Lyndhurst as a hard man and the young cast are woefully underused. Not enough funny lines to make it memorable. The first one had great novelty value but this was like a quiet episode of a soap and I reckon much more is needed to make it stand out-I doubt the BBC will be keen on too many audiences of 5 million odd for what they probably see as a regular holiday treat.
  • gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PJMillar wrote: »
    What's your point? The opposition was tougher in January than it was last night.
    Read his post again.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    As for Daybreak, I doubt ITV particularly care how it's doing this week, it's the Christmas holidays and not many people are up at that time in the morning. It should be back up to 0.8m or so next week which would be okay.
    but if that is the case, why is Breakfast doing so well?
  • Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,762
    Forum Member

Im not sure I agree with you disagreeing with me about me disagreeing with an "ouch". ;)

There seemed to be a lot less people watching TV last night than the night Rock and Chips debuted. Like I said in my previous post, ratings between Boxing Day and New Years Day are often not great as a lot of things get lost in the pack and dont get promoted.

I would go as far as saying that last night's R+C episode would have done better against Wild At Heart in a few weeks time in a similar schedule to when the first episode aired.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PJMillar wrote: »

My point is that last January it beat a tough ITV line-up quite convincingly.

Yesterday, it couldn't beat a new episode of Marple.
  • JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rock and Chips a sorry victim of poor scheduling.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My point is that last January it beat a tough ITV line-up quite convincingly.

Yesterday, it couldn't beat a new episode of Marple.

On the other hand, I think Marple and Rock & Chips would have similar audiences, unlike Rock & Chips and Dancing on Ice
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest I was surprised that the first Rock And Chips did as well as it did given that

a) it had tough ITV opposition, and
    b) the BBC sneaked it into the schedule without ceremony.

I get the impression that the BBC are embarassed by this programme. Or unenthuiastic.

It took a few years for the project to come to fruition. Maybe the BBC were hoping to get some more Only Fools out of the deal and lost enthuiasm when Fools was not forthcoming.

Or maybe they were annoyed by the poor standard of Green Green Grass.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    To be honest I was surprised that the first Rock And Chips did as well as it did given that

a) it had tough ITV opposition, and
    b) the BBC sneaked it into the schedule without ceremony.

I get the impression that the BBC are embarassed by this programme. Or unenthuiastic.

It took a few years for the project to come to fruition. Maybe the BBC were hoping to get some more Only Fools out of the deal and lost enthuiasm when Fools was not forthcoming.

Or maybe they were annoyed by the poor standard of Green Green Grass.

I dont know about embarrassed, but imo it certainly wasnt anything that was going to make the nation sit down in eager anticipation. Presumably thats why it was scheduled last night.
  • cherubmattdcherubmattd Posts: 13,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Possibly a bit off topic, but does anyone know when Living becomes Sky Living and moves up the EPG?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And had last night's R&C aired on a Sunday night in January, the most-watched TV night of the week in the depths of winter, your comparison might have had some relevance. I'm sure it would have done better than 5.2m had it been held back a month and the schedule was the same as above.

If we compare like with like, here are the equivalent (official) ratings for the same Christmas Wednesday in 2009:

BBC1:
    20.00 Waterloo Road 5.30m
    21.00 The Turn of the Screw 5.19m (90 min drama)

ITV1:
    19.30 Emmerdale 6.61m
    20.00 Countrywise 3.39m
    20.30/21.00 ????? - no shows in the Top 30 for Wednesday after Countrywise so whatever they aired flopped with less than 3.19m

So despite ITV1 offering only a pair of flops on the equivalent night last year, BBC1 could only get official ratings of 5.3m and 5.2m for its 8pm and 9pm offerings - so it's likely both Polar Bear and R&C will better that when the official numbers come out. In that context, it wasn't that disastrous a night for BBC1 - just poor scheduling of one of their key festive offerings.

The Marple last year (NYD at 9pm) got 5.55m btw...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Possibly a bit off topic, but does anyone know when Living becomes Sky Living and moves up the EPG?

I had a look a couple of days ago and all i could find was "early 2011". I think it'll probably be about the same time they launch Sky Atlantic.
This discussion has been closed.