RIP BB - now just a launching pad for Z-Listers

Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
Forum Member
✭✭✭
With the occasional 'normal' person thrown in to keep it 'real'.

Sorry, this format just does not work for me these days. Where are the people we all live next door to...? the part-time dental nurse, the girl who works in Tesco, the guy from Brighton who works in a phone shop, the older animal rights activist...?

Too many with dodgy claims to fame, too many models, too many with agents. I don't think they applied at all I reckon their agents put them up for the jobs.

No longer a social experiment to see how normal, everyday folk get along - just a short cut to an OK! shoot and some column inches in Closer. No thanks.

RIP BB.

Comments

• Cal_Scream2Cal_Scream2 Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member

Sorry, this format just does not work for me these days. Where are the people we all live next door to...? the part-time dental nurse, the girl who works in Tesco, the guy from Brighton who works in a phone shop, the older animal rights activist...?

Too many with dodgy claims to fame, too many models, too many with agents. I don't think they applied at all I reckon their agents put them up for the jobs.

No longer a social experiment to see how normal, everyday folk get along - just a short cut to an OK! shoot and some column inches in Closer. No thanks.

RIP BB.

This post would be true last year...this year it's not the case. We have Helen, Winston, Pauline and Mark as the only ones being in the public eye, we've had like one story from Danielle and that's it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member

RIP BB.

Sadly, I agree with you Susie. I think I read somewhere that the old audition process has gone and that BB recruiters travel around visiting night clubs and the like where the young and beautiful hang out (literally), hence all the 'intelligent modulls' lol
  • StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    Big Brother became a 'launching pad for z-listers' when Craig Phillips won it. Brian Dowling, Alison Hammond, Jade Goody, Nikki Grahame, Chanelle, Chantelle, Josie Gibson... far from a recent thing.
  • Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KKofLK wrote: »
    Sadly, I agree with you Susie. I think I read somewhere that the old audition process has gone and that BB recruiters travel around visiting night clubs and the like where the young and beautiful hang out (literally), hence all the 'intelligent modulls' lol

I thought as much. I miss the days of Jade, Nikki, Pete, Science, Kate.....really enjoyed the show in them days.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big Brother hasn't been Big Brother as we knew it since C5 took over. I think people need to accept that. Imo, C5 are doing a good job with it. Each of their series so far have been memorable for one reason or another.

Besides, as mentioned above, launching the careers of Z-listers is far from a recent thing.
  • Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big Brother became a 'launching pad for z-listers' when Craig Phillips won it. Brian Dowling, Alison Hammond, Jade Goody, Nikki Grahame, Chanelle, Chantelle, Josie Gibson... far from a recent thing.

They weren't already Z-ers when they went in though ;-)
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tamera wants to be the new Luisa according to the daily star today .

She has seen how well Luisa has done over the last year with the tits n ass and a businesswoman as well approach.

She feels she could do the same
  • WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry but this haa been the same since bb5 all but 10 years ago. Albeit it has gradually gotten worse over time. You should've known by now what it was like and if not, at least you do now.
  • junipairejunipaire Posts: 3,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah it is a huge shame but might be a case of if you don't get z listers who are totally fame hungry then there is that possibility it might create a dull house with no over the top occurrences to make headlines, if it went back to this way of auditioning they would have to try a get back the viewers who initially were into BB for the social experiment idea. I would predict lots of people gave up on BB years ago as they seem to get worse and worse with the z lister wannabees.

It would be good though to go back and choose some really intelligent mixture of people from different cultures and backgrounds. would these people still audition for it, I dunno, maybe its just easy for the producers to pick their zlisters these days as they can guarantee more arguments when there is ego friction.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest, in these economic times, I doubt there'd be many who work in the local PC World or Tesco who would be willing to lose their job (and face the wrath of the JCP on exiting the House) for the sake of a few weeks in the Big Brother house. Not sure I'd find it a good exchange, a week or 10 in Big Brother versus the JSA system and all the horrors jobseeking entails these days. I doubt there'd be many employers in this current clime who would feel the need to guarantee a job to go back to when there are many others willing to step right into that job.

It's a big risk for the average Joe.
  • StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    They weren't already Z-ers when they went in though ;-)

Yes, but they used it as a launching pad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, but they used it as a launching pad.
    The funny thing is that, back then, you could go in as a nobody and come out to a modicum of financial reward and potential success, whereas now you can go in as a z-lister and be practically guaranteed of no financial reward or potential success afterwards as a result of appearing on BB :D It's all gone into reverse
  • richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In some ways, yes, to the thread title

But to be fair it has been going on since maybe series 6, whereas before that fame was seen as an optional extra

My concern with this lot is apart from maybe Jale, who really needs the money if they win seeing most of them are making money or are quite well off in the outside world anyway

For me it feels more The Apprentice meets Dragons Den meets Britain's next top Model

So many clashes of egos this year, so production will get their wish of plenty of arguments and who knows the odd removal as some of them look like they could go that extra step
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But it wasn't "just a launching pad for Z-Listers" then.

However, it's unlikely that many of this year's HMs will manage to take off.
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They're not even that good looking. The poster (YesNoMan) who said "All the girls are plainer than first glance suggests" was right. Even Ashleigh.
  • ChipPaperChipPaper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing is, no one even gets famous off BB anymore. You don't see any of last year's HMs around (except on BB related shows), or from the year before that. If you're trying to get famous, BB actually seems like one of the worst ways to do it. It kills any credibility you may have had, and no one really cares about you anyway.

The days of instant post-BB 'fame' are long gone.
  • richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's only video auditions nowadays as the opens have been scrapped
  • Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't omit Russell Brand too - his career took off from hosting BB's spin-off show! He owes his whole tv/film career to BB.
  • RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watching a repeat of BB cos there`s nothing else on..

BB was supposed to be ordinary people put together in a house and the housemates decide who the public vote out.

So far i`ve seen 3 models, an Actor, a Media kiss and teller, someone has already got a place in the final and another is God.

Time to find a repeat of Columbo on channel 2,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    You can't omit Russell Brand too - his career took off from hosting BB's spin-off show! He owes his whole tv/film career to BB.

But he wasn`t a Housemate
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Randysback wrote: »
    But he wasn`t a Housemate
    Small mercies and all that :D;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Make that 4 models.. and to top it off a Northern Irish girl (the worst accent on the planet) that can`t open her mouth without sayin "Like"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Randysback wrote: »
    Make that 4 models.. and to top it off a Northern Irish girl (the worst accent on the planet) that can`t open her mouth without sayin "Like"
    She'd fit in with the Made In Chelsea crowd perfectly :D
  • adamski94adamski94 Posts: 3,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eveyone is a z lister tbh
  • rolergirlrolergirl Posts: 5,205
    Forum Member
    deleted