Polish strike 2015

Skyler_WrightSkyler_Wright Posts: 1,652
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Thousands of Polish people working in Britain are expected to take part in the first ever migrant workers strike in this country
“It’s just a way to show people in the UK that immigrants are an important part of Britain. We want to make the point that we are here and that we want to feel appreciated,”
Around half a million Polish workers are relied upon in areas such as construction, healthcare and catering.
Threats to strike come amid a Government crackdown against illegal immigrants, prompted by repeated attempts by migrants seeking to cross the English Channel from Calais in recent weeks

Do you feel for them? Do you work with Poles? could Britain come to a standstill if hundreds of thousands of Polish workers went on strike and got their way?

Do you blame the government for letting them come into the country in such huge numbers?

Discuss.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/11783297/Polish-workers-in-UK-consider-strike-over-anti-immigrant-rhetoric.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/thousands-of-polish-workers-to-take-part-in-the-first-ever-migrant-workers-strike-in-britain-10445970.html

Comments

• Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Link here which puts the matter into perspective.

Just thank God they were here in 1940.

edit; i see you put links up now after i'd posted this!
  • MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 20,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will say one thing. Poles can be very intolerant of immigration and people from other races. I know because I am of Polish descent and have Polish relatives.

Some of the views are shocking, truly.:o

We are not the only baddies you know.
  • MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 20,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the fact I have Polish blood though.:)
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the fact I have Polish blood though.:)
    Is it in a pint glass in the fridge?
    :D
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They can all go home if they don't like it.I wish they would.All of them.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Idiot bleating on like that.

Here's the real reason behind it all..

'I know that I am not alone in feeling like this, which is why I have decided to stand as an independent candidate for election as mayor of London on 5 May next year'.

If he wants to risk any of them getting the sack for striking then I hope he's got deep pockets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will say one thing. Poles can be very intolerant of immigration and people from other races. I know because I am of Polish descent and have Polish relatives.

They are quite a racist nation.
    I work with Poles,Slovaks,Lithuanians,Romanians and a few Portuguese.With the exception of the Portuguese.They are all very racist.I presume it is because they have lived their lives under the Russian Jackboot of Communism up until fairly recently.And have not been 'enlightened' by multi-culturalism.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    So what does this mean.

Is it only for workers or an I not allowed to polish my sideboards and brass?

It is only certain brands I tend to use homebrands beewax.
  • Skyler_WrightSkyler_Wright Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »

I've heard that too but why?

What is the reason?
    Forum Member
    So what does this mean.

Is it only for workers or an I not allowed to polish my sideboards and brass?

It is only certain brands I tend to use homebrands beewax.

Mr Sheenczyk
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Oh no. I hope my colleague Zdenko doesn't join in. We're relying on him for our embedded Linux drivers. :o
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they're doing this without the backing of a recognised trade union or ballot, then a lot of people could find themselves out of a job on Friday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have experienced that though mainly among young Polish. It was in relation to German people. I've also read some pretty awful comments in visitor books signed by Polish at various concentration camp memorial sites i've visited, the majority of which are in Poland.

You have to remember, Nazi Germany invaded and occupied their country during the war and then post war the allied forces handed Poland to Russia.

We were never invaded so their hate and bitterness is understandable to a degree.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Oh no. I hope my colleague Zdenko doesn't join in. We're relying on him for our embedded Linux drivers. :o

Just tell him Zoltan from Romania will do the same job for half the price.That will put he fear of God into him.:p
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live with a Polish guy called Mr.Sheen.

I trust him totally to do jobs around the house when asked. :)
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »

I have experienced that though mainly among young Polish. It was in relation to German people. I've also read some pretty awful comments in visitor books signed by Polish at various concentration camp memorial sites i've visited, the majority of which are in Poland.

You have to remember, Nazi Germany invaded and occupied their country during the war and then post war the allied forces handed Poland to Russia.

We were never invaded so their hate and bitterness is understandable to a degree.
    I don't know if you saw the docu on BBC2 called 'The Savage Peace' a while back but the way they and the Czechoslovakians treated surrendered German soldiers at war's end and also those of ethnic descent living in those countries was vile and almost as bad as the Nazis treated them, even outsiders were murdered simply because they could speak German, It was truly shocking to see.

I know there was the revenge element but then again they were doing what the Germans did, it's a difficult one to judge.

Sure it was years ago now but time to forgive especially for the younger generation.

Incidentally, those camps you mention were stuffed to the gunnels with women and children and many died through starvation and disease so I'm surprised they left those comments or is it a case of them not knowing that part of their history.

It's on youtube if you missed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCw86e2sV3Q
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,979
    Forum Member
    I don't blame them in a way. They can't seem to win. People don't like the ones that come over, claim benefits etc. They are scroungers. But they come over and get a job, they are taking English jobs.

I'm just glad none of my staff are going on strike or I'd be screwed.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it wouldn't matter if us Brits could go off to Poland and earn good money for many jobs. But that prospect is non existent generally speaking. It only works for the labour market in one direction.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,979
    Forum Member
    That's not their fault though is it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know if you saw the docu on BBC2 called 'The Savage Peace' a while back but the way they and the Czechoslovakians treated surrendered German soldiers at war's end and also those of ethnic descent living in those countries was vile and almost as bad as the Nazis treated them, even outsiders were murdered simply because they could speak German, It was truly shocking to see.

I know there was the revenge element but then again they were doing what the Germans did, it's a difficult one to judge.

Sure it was years ago now but time to forgive especially for the younger generation.

Incidentally, those camps you mention were stuffed to the gunnels with women and children and many died through starvation and disease so I'm surprised they left those comments or is it a case of them not knowing that part of their history.

It's on youtube if you missed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCw86e2sV3Q
    No i've not seen that 'doc' but have saved it and will definitely view that. I've got loads of Holocaust documentaries. Depressing viewing but i believe it's essential history which should never be forgotten. The worst comments i read were in a visitor book at Treblinka. Extreme race hate comments peppered with expletives, written in poor English i suspect in the knowledge that more foreign people can read English than Polish.

Yes it certainly is a difficult one to judge. Russians also took part in the hatred toward German people as an entire nation as captured Red Army soldiers were among those who got stuck into Concentration camps and possibly the best memorial site for the Russians is at Sachsenhausen camp as it mainly held Red Army soldiers. Their treatment was appalling and the museum and site is very open with well documented evidence.

Of course Sachsenhausen is in Germany (not far from Berlin), but post war it came within the Soviet zone and the Russian NKVD used it to inter thousands of what by then were East Germans. They meted out the same treatment to the German prisoners, possibly worse....if that's possible! Many never survived.

Later came the obsessive madness of the Stasi who turned on their own people and definitely the best example i've seen is Berlin-Hohenschönhausen. That is one hell of a scary place and what went on in there was unbelievable. Right up until 1989 the place 'didn't exist'....maps just had a blank space where Hohenschönhausen was and it was off limits to everyone apart from the 1000's of people who worked there. There are a few places which 'didn't exist' in the former East Germany and Soviet occupied Poland.
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    If the agency workers try it. There will be another coach load coming over from Eastern Europe the day after to replace them. There are million prepared to work for nmw because for them, it's 5 times what they can earn back home.

If Brits could earn £30 an hour in Poland picking cabbages. You'd probably see 500000 over there working.
  • I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Threats to strike come amid a Government crackdown against illegal immigrants, prompted by repeated attempts by migrants seeking to cross the English Channel from Calais in recent weeks

What has that got to do with Polish people going on strike?
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    I work with Poles,Slovaks,Lithuanians,Romanians and a few Portuguese.With the exception of the Portuguese.They are all very racist.I presume it is because they have lived their lives under the Russian Jackboot of Communism up until fairly recently.And have not been 'enlightened' by multi-culturalism.

I do agree with you, except for the last sentence, "enlightened by multiculturalism"? People who come to live to the UK should assimilate and embrace British way of life, and not create ethically clean areas in cities and towns and force their culture onto society.

This is not multiculturalism, or the areas like Hammersmith, Wood Green etc. These are almost homogeneous communities.

No ethnic group should be allowed to form getho-like communities in British cities, be it Polish, Middle eastern or Romanians.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They can all go home if they don't like it.I wish they would.All of them.

If they did not come in the first place, a lot of these jobs would be filled up with British people.
  • corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Based on current unemployment figures - if they didnt come at all, no-one would do the job.

I'm not convinced we have a huge amount of unemployed who actually are looking for work - certainly not enough to replace the vast quantity of tax paying EU immigrants.

Like Germany, I think we are in a position that we need immigration to pay our pending pension and welfare bills.