Absolutely Anything - Simon Pegg

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I thought "Pixels" had been poorly reviewed until I saw some of the reviews for this.

I thought the trailer looked quite funny !

Comments

• JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Never heard of this until this morning when I saw it on the Cineworld website. Seeing as its got Simon Pegg, Kate Beckinsale and members of Monty Python together on film for the first time in years as well as the final vocal performance of Robin Williams I am surprised it hasn't been better advertised. Seems to have got lost in the large number of new films out this week. I watched the trailer and I thought it seemed like it be quite funny. Not showing at my local Cine world so may see it when it comes out on dvd.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of his solo films haven't done so well either. It does make you wonder if it only really works if he's working with Edgar Wright.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dear god that was painful ..
    Forum Member
    dear god that was painful ..

It was reviewed earlier on Radio Sussex. I was expecting a real slagging off. Instead this guy thought it was a great comedy and perfect date night viewing. Mind you he must have been on something as he said it was the new film from Simon Webbe and is similar to Liar Liar starring Ricky Gervais!
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has Simon Pegg ever been in a hit film where he's been front and centre and isn't made by Edgar Wright?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    It was reviewed earlier on Radio Sussex. I was expecting a real slagging off. Instead this guy thought it was a great comedy and perfect date night viewing. Mind you he must have been on something as he said it was the new film from Simon Webbe and is similar to Liar Liar starring Ricky Gervais!

I thought that Ricky Gervais film wasn't actually that bad - not brilliant but the premise was good enough for me to reasonably enjoy it.

This one just didn't work. One of two gags raised a very slight snigger but it just became exceedingly irritating. it might have been because of how he announced everything before he did it or that the humour seemed to be trying too hard.

I actually did walk out in the end but probably only missed no more than 5 minutes - the ending sequence had begun and it was all fairly obvious at that point so I ran - I'd had my bag in my hand ready to go for about 20 minutes up to that point though!
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Has Simon Pegg ever been in a hit film where he's been front and centre and isn't made by Edgar Wright?

He's one of the main characters in the mission impossible and star trek franchises.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mialicious wrote: »
    He's one of the main characters in the mission impossible and star trek franchises.

Simon Pegg doesn't play Ethan Hunt nor Captain Kirk. I'm talking about the sole main lead, not a co-star to Tom Cruise and Chris Pine.
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon Pegg doesn't play Ethan Hunt nor Captain Kirk. I'm talking about the sole main lead, not a co-star to Tom Cruise and Chris Pine.

How about Paul..that wasnt directed by edgar wright.
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not surprised Pegg's latest solo venture is getting bad reviews. I actually don't like him on screen any more.

He was good in Shaun of the Dead, and of course he was aided by Nick Frost.

I don't know what it is about Pegg. Maybe he comes across in movies and interviews as an untalented show-off. I heard him being interviewed on the radio recently and he has this awful mashed American/British accent.

He also sounds very pretentious.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know he co-wrote 'Spaced' with Jessica Hynes and that was brilliant. I know it was directed by Edgar Wright, but the writing was purely down to Pegg and Hynes.

This was written by Gavin Scott and Terry Jones, so, with Jones at least, you'd expect a degree of Python-esque humour but it just didn't work. I suppose if you're being generous, you can't really blame Pegg for the crap script.

The sad thing is, this is officially the final ever involvement in film of Robin Williams, as the voice of the dog. Unfortunately we're in Raul Julia in Streetfighter territory here as far as that goes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mialicious wrote: »
    How about Paul..that wasnt directed by edgar wright.

Yeah, i'll give you that (even though Paul was played by Seth Rogen and the film was about him! Lol.) Think it was a moderate success.
    I know he co-wrote 'Spaced' with Jessica Hynes and that was brilliant. I know it was directed by Edgar Wright, but the writing was purely down to Pegg and Hynes.

Let's hope he doesn't ruin Star Trek Beyond since he's co-written the screenplay.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's hope he doesn't ruin Star Trek Beyond since he's co-written the screenplay.

I think that'll be fine. I think it'll benefit from him being a massive sci-fi nerd for one thing, and also for actually being quite a good writer as well.

it'll also have to get past the studio as well so i doubt it'll be full of gags either
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...and is similar to Liar Liar starring Ricky Gervais!

I loved that film! Though at the time, I thought Ricky looked a lot like Jim Carrey. He's shorter and fatter these days.
    Forum Member
    I loved that film! Though at the time, I thought Ricky looked a lot like Jim Carrey. He's shorter and fatter these days.

But Liar Liar DID star Jim Carrey and not Ricky Gervais. That was the point I was making about the radio presenters mistake.
  • Ben_CaesarBen_Caesar Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    I'm not surprised Pegg's latest solo venture is getting bad reviews. I actually don't like him on screen any more.

He was good in Shaun of the Dead, and of course he was aided by Nick Frost.

I don't know what it is about Pegg. Maybe he comes across in movies and interviews as an untalented show-off. I heard him being interviewed on the radio recently and he has this awful mashed American/British accent.

He also sounds very pretentious.

He was never talented to begin with. At best he's just a solid straight man playing off much more talented comedians. I re-watched both Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz not long ago and I had almost forgot how much it is that Nick Frost made those movies and of course Edgar Wright's unique direction.

Pegg's especially TERRIBLE in the Star Trek movies as the annoying Scottish side character. Now those movies weren't particularly amazing or anything but even here he manages to stick out like a sore thumb ^_^
  • The_BonoboThe_Bonobo Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    But Liar Liar DID star Jim Carrey and not Ricky Gervais. That was the point I was making about the radio presenters mistake.

:D I presume the guy meant the Gervais film The Invention of Lying. From what I know of this Pegg film these films sound a bit similar (not necessarily that much but enough for the comparison). I can't see how there would be any similarity to Liar Liar.

As for this film, the trailer makes it look awful but then I have never been convinced by Terry Jones. I was actually talking about Simon Pegg the other night and how much he is living his dream now as this movie star including in geektastic films like Star Trek. Even if you like him you would never have predicted how things have panned out watching him in Spaced or comedies like Big Train.
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest it looks awful just from the trailers.