Prometheus - Ridley Scotts Alien Prequel

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
Forum Member
Anyone else looking forward to this? I am.

WOuld be nice to get some back story on the mysterious Space Jockey.

[news]'Prometheus' trailer: Watch the Channel 4 'Homeland' teaser ad - video[/news]

Comments

• The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    I don't think it's a true prequel anymore, just another story that may be tied to the "Alien" universe in a loose way.

(Personally I think this was Scott's plan all along, to tout it as a prequel so he could gain serious support and financial backing then "change direction" so it had little to do with Alien anymore)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    I don't think it's a true prequel anymore, just another story that may be tied to the "Alien" universe in a loose way.

(Personally I think this was Scott's plan all along, to tout it as a prequel so he could gain serious support and financial backing then "change direction" so it had little to do with Alien anymore)

Thats what I thought but all the cast and set pic leaks have confirmed that it is an Alien prequel.

Check out the site AVP Galaxy - they have set pics of the Space Jockey chair, new types of Alien eggs etc Its an Alien film for sure.

The Aliens we will see in this will be the Aliens in their pure forms.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deffo looking forward to this, especially with Scott at the helm. Unlike The Thing prequel which isn't looking too good. Aso long as ALL the humans die. If they don't it will detract from the first Alien film. And NO NEW RIPLEY'S.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Aliens take on characteristis from their hosts so the Aliens we seen in the original 4 films are for humans. This is supposedly what they will look like originally, without human DNA. Pictures of people in Alien costumes were spotted on the set so there is Alien content in the film, although how heavily it features is another thing altogether. It will be interesting to see anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    The Aliens take on characteristis from their hosts so the Aliens we seen in the original 4 films are for humans. This is supposedly what they will look like originally, without human DNA. Pictures of people in Alien costumes were spotted on the set so there is Alien content in the film, although how heavily it features is another thing altogether. It will be interesting to see anyway.

The alien in 3 was a dog alien (a really bad looking cgi dog alien) cos it burst out of the doberman.
  • TheMagic8ballTheMagic8ball Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The alien in 3 was a dog alien (a really bad looking cgi dog alien) cos it burst out of the doberman.

Or an Ox depending on the version you're watching.
  • floopy123floopy123 Posts: 6,003
    Forum Member
    Bit late in the day for an Alien prequel? I mean the original was made 31 years ago! ;)

As for the new Thing film - arrghhhhhhhhhhhh! I wish they'd leave that classic sci-fi horror film alone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That was one thing that confused me about the alternate cut of Alien 3, if it came out of an Ox, why wasn't it slow and cumbersome?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member

I don't remember that, I have both versions and I'm sure it comes out of the Rottweiler in each

(just checked and you're right, think I'll re-watch it Sunday :) )
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The directors cut is 30mins longer and I think they changed it to a dog as the ox didn't make sense although I like the directors cut better
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ox was harder to control when filming while the dog was easier to control/train and get into the EEV to be facehugged, initially they all left the EEV sitting on the beach and the facehugger got out and found the oxen nearby and attacked one of them.

There is also an entire subplot removed from Alien 3 which is restored in the 30 minutes which explains what happened to Golic, in the normal cut he's strapped to the bed in the infirmary and is never seen or heard from again.
  • Baboo YaguBaboo Yagu Posts: 5,803
    Forum Member
    I'll be waiting for the Blu-Ray release with the 'R' rated version rather than going to see the bastardised version Fox will put on general release to please the suits.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a prequel despite previous will be/wont be statements.

Whether 'the company' will feature remains to be seen.I am curious to know how they knew about them (the aliens) in the first place.

You can follow production details on Facebook.
  • Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have seen one leaked set pic which was interesting but can't seem to find the new alien egg pics that one of the posters mentioned above, the studio has either removed them or, you need to be a member to view the pic
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The studio have requested the pictures be removed from the website. Some of the pictures contained eggs, aliens and one had what looked like the Weyland Yutani logo, or a different version of it on display in the background.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    I really hope this is good.

The Alien universe is ripe for further films, let's just hope it's not anything like Resurrection.

I think Ridley is a great director but he's not shy of making some pretty sub-standard films.

I also really hope they're allowed to make this an 18, a proper grown up Sci-fi film. I won't be holding my breath with that though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the most, I imagine this film will get a 15, but will probably get a 12A.

Haven't some of the Alien films been reclassified now anyway and are 15's? Maybe a 15 wouldn't be that bad, there still could be some juicy footage and dialogue included to enforce the adults only angle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »
    At the most, I imagine this film will get a 15, but will probably get a 12A.

Haven't some of the Alien films been reclassified now anyway and are 15's? Maybe a 15 wouldn't be that bad, there still could be some juicy footage and dialogue included to enforce the adults only angle.

You're probably right there Paddy, a 15 wouldn't be too bad.
    I just don't want it to skimp on the gore and scares!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah same as the new zombie film World War Z, hasn't it been classified as a 12A or something, how can a zombie film ever be anything other than an 18 ??
  • TheMagic8ballTheMagic8ball Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're probably right there Paddy, a 15 wouldn't be too bad.
    I just don't want it to skimp on the gore and scares!

Ridley Scott's Alien was hardly all about gore! Yeah there's like one scene with lots of blood and that's that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The preview/trailer was planned for today. May have been rescheduled after the leak.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    Ridley Scott's Alien was hardly all about gore! Yeah there's like one scene with lots of blood and that's that.

Your absolutely right , the original alien movie wasnt even slightly about gore. It was purely about suspense .........i think in that movie you saw the alien about 9 times
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your absolutely right , the original alien movie wasnt even slightly about gore. It was purely about suspense .........i think in that movie you saw the alien about 9 times

Totally agree.

There was only one moment of obvious gore (chestburster), and most of the other killings are unseen, are very quick so you don't see what actually happens, or it is suggested.

The most disturbing one for me is Lamberts. You barely even see the alien, and you don't actually see what it does to her...but you do see the alien tail snake up between her legs...but it's her reaction and more importantly her screams which Ripley hears that are really disturbing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    Totally agree.

There was only one moment of obvious gore (chestburster), and most of the other killings are unseen, are very quick so you don't see what actually happens, or it is suggested.

The most disturbing one for me is Lamberts. You barely even see the alien, and you don't actually see what it does to her...but you do see the alien tail snake up between her legs...but it's her reaction and more importantly her screams which Ripley hears that are really disturbing.

Thats why films dont get made like they used to movie makers think that because they CAN show us a movie monster in great detail now , then they SHOULD and this isnt the case. Look at some of the best horrors ever made :- psycho ( original ) , halloween , jaws , alien , it and most of the romero movies from the 70's ( obviously now days he goes a bit over board on the gore ) none of these depending on gore and massive amounts of cgi to scare us but they are heaps and bounds scarier than anything from the last 15 years
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    I'm a bit apprehensive about this, i aint comfortable about all the mixed messages we are getting about it being a prequel/not a prequel.

If Ridley wanted to do a Sci-fi Movie then he should, but it should stand alone as a separate entity.

People want to see more from the Alien franchise, that is why most will go see it, yet we have quotes from lots of folk involved in production of it saying fans need to stop seeing it as an Alien film:confused:

Either it is or isnt, they should have made that decision at the beginning of production, as it is no-one knows whats going on.

TBH im not even sure Ridley scott knows ho it fits with the Alien films.

I'm sure it will be good and all that.
    I just aint convinced that the Alien tie in is only there to milk the franchise fans of more money while delivering very little to the actual franchise.

It could all be smokescreens and mirrors here, we may get a fully fledged prequel, who knows.

the plot should have been...Humans on one of the first exploration vessels carrying biological weapon tests onboard, goes missing, meets the Aliens, a fight ensues and the Alien ship ends up crash landing on a planet, the Aliens contaminated by the biological experiments starts to mutate there.....The end.

Ties in with the first Alien, and looking at this movie, that may have been the original idea Prometheus came from.