Options

Commodore returns with an emulator-equipped smartphone

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/commodore-returns-with-an-emulator-equipped-smartphone-1299260

The phrase "shut up and take my money" has never been more appropriate :D
Now, after changing hands several times over the last two decades, Wired is reporting that the Commodore name is back – as an Android-powered smartphone.

The Commodore PET (named after the Commodore's first full-featured computer from 1977) has a 5.5 inch display, a 1.7GHz octa-core Mediatek processor, a 13-megapixel rear facing camera and a 3000 mAh battery.

The PET also comes equipped with two custom emulators that allow us nostalgic-types to revisit our favourite Commodore 64 and Amiga games (I'm coming for you, California Games).

Comments

• Options
    dave666dave666 Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think i will be getting just because it is my childhood gaming memories in my pocket wherever I go. all i want now is a nes phone then i am sorted
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dave666 wrote: »
    i think i will be getting just because it is my childhood gaming memories in my pocket wherever I go. all i want now is a nes phone then i am sorted

I like how they've suggested getting the 32gb model and a 32gb SD card so you can have a true 'commodore 64' :)

decent spec phone either way though.
  • Options
    pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly other than nostalgia, this is a non-event I'm afraid. Like so many people on here I grew up with a C64 and would love nothing more than to think I could own a phone made by the same company that gave such substance to my youth. Unfortunately Commodore exists as little more than a trademark these days and all that's happened here is that the C= logo (still evocative after all these years!) has been slapped on a generic, no-name Chinese phone and a couple of free emulators have been thrown into the mix. The phone has then been given quite a severe mark up on the back of the logo and logo alone.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/07/14/commodore-is-not-back-baby-company-slaps-commodore-brand-on-back-of-generic-smartphone-gets-attention/
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is nothing more than an overpriced el cheapo Android device with emulators built in.

It looks to be similar spec to the recently released Vodafone Smart Ultra 6, but costing 50% more. And the emulators are already out there in Google Play.

And the Commodore PET was never a great device - I started on them back at school, and whilst an entertaining distraction, the BBC B was an infinitely superior device.
  • Options
    Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks but I will give it a miss and wait for the Dragon 32 phone. :D
  • Options
    DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks but I will give it a miss and wait for the Dragon 32 phone. :D

My first computer was a Dragon. Good times
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wrote this yesterday - http://jmcomms.com/2015/07/16/commodore-is-back-with-a-smartphone-this-ageing-fanboy-couldnt-care-less/. Totally not interested and loads of people on some retro gaming forums seem equally unimpressed.

Can't see many people buying this. It certainly isn't the Commodore any of us knew or cared about.