Options

Best PC dvbs - s2 card solution for freesat

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Corin wrote: »
    How is that possible when the Technotrend web site says...

As I sad in a previous post some cards officially support Diseqc 1.2 and some unofficially.

It's almost a bit of a minefield, what you really need to do is decide which viewer software package you want to use and then research which cards that particular software package supports and enables 1.2.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,222
    Forum Member
    I just got the Nova HD S2 card.. but the BBC HD channel only has audio and no picture.... Also, there are no other HD channels shown (ITV, Luxe etc).

XP Media Center Edition
    SP2
    ATI HD 2600

Thx.

I had this too if you mean using PowerCinema to access the HD channels. It did start to work after i installed the update and rebooted the computer.

Worth a try if you haven't already tried this Ziplock. Apologies if you have.

By the way there are only BBC HD and LUXE TV in HD, ITV HD doesn't exist as of yet.

http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/pages/support/support_satellite.html

6th download down.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    Snoods wrote: »
    I had this too if you mean using PowerCinema to access the HD channels. It did start to work after i installed the update and rebooted the computer.

Worth a try if you haven't already tried this Ziplock. Apologies if you have.

By the way there are only BBC HD and LUXE TV in HD, ITV HD doesn't exist as of yet.

http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/pages/support/support_satellite.html

6th download down.

Thanks I got it working by just re-installing PowerCinema.. thx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good stuff Ziplock. Is your HD quality OK using PowerCinema? I find i get better results using other DVB software.

By the way if you'd like to experiment and have a good read can i recommend this site to you?

Apologies if you have it already. (You do have to join for all forums to become visible I think)

http://dvbn.happysat.org/index.php

Other software you may like to mess about with.

http://www.tv-cards.com/allapps.php

Have fun.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Before I order a DVB-S2 card, can someone tell me what file format the recorded TV files are (for the Hauppauge for example) and what is needed to get them to play in Media Player/Media Center?

Is there a sample file out there I can test my system with?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The software i use (DVB Viewer) records in .mpg or .ts files. Not sure what the supplied PowerCinema records in.

I can install it and try if you like.

I can record a brief few seconds of one of the HD channels and email it to you if you like.

Media player classic or VLC player plays the files.

Oh by the way i have the Hauppauge Nova HD S2 PCI card.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good stuff Ziplock. Is your HD quality OK using PowerCinema? I find i get better results using other DVB software.

By the way if you'd like to experiment and have a good read can i recommend this site to you?

Apologies if you have it already. (You do have to join for all forums to become visible I think)

http://dvbn.happysat.org/index.php

Other software you may like to mess about with.

http://www.tv-cards.com/allapps.php

Have fun.

Hi Snoods, The HD quality is very good on BBC HD using PowerCinema, although Luxe HD is not showing up when I do a scan.. hmm..

I've tried DVB Dream, and the HD content is very jerky, I thin kit may be that it's not offloading to the gfx card and trying to do it in software...

I'll check out those sites.. and thx.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes HD was very jerky for me too in DVB Dream although a very odd time it played perfectly.

I seem to be sticking with DVB Viewer now as i'm getting used to it. There was another viewer i tried that i liked, it had a really simple interface like windows media player but it kept crashing on me.

WinClip it was I think or something along those lines.

Anyway have fun trying out some other programs and please pop in with your opinions on what you think of them as you may find one I haven't tried LOL
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes HD was very jerky for me too in DVB Dream although a very odd time it played perfectly.

I seem to be sticking with DVB Viewer now as i'm getting used to it. There was another viewer i tried that i liked, it had a really simple interface like windows media player but it kept crashing on me.

WinClip it was I think or something along those lines.

Anyway have fun trying out some other programs and please pop in with your opinions on what you think of them as you may find one I haven't tried LOL

After a few days trying the Nova HD S2 card with various programs, with XP and Vista.. its not half as stable as the Nova 500 freeview card with MCE, which 'just works'. Sometimes it will show, and sometimes not..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Interesting Ziplock, i have had an Asus DVB-T / Analogue PCI card in use with MCE for years without any problems either, as you say it just works.

To be honest i've not had any problems at all with my Nova HD S2 either and i actually really like it.

I like trying the many DVB programs but really dislike PowerCinema with a vengance. LOL
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, I've taken the plunge and bought a Nova HD S2 card. I'm more interested in recording rather than live viewing. Are there any other software recommendations?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh good for you Stig, don't think you'll be dissappointed. I have only tried a few different DVB programs but depending on which ones you try they record in various file formats depending if its audio or video.

The software i'm using just now (DVB Viewer) records in either .mpeg .ts and .mp2

I think there are various plugins you can get for more recording formats.

Must admit i haven't been too adventurous so far in trying out the various recording formats.

Oh by the way did you manage to get the files i uploaded to play ok?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh by the way did you manage to get the files i uploaded to play ok?
    Yes thanks. I'm experimenting with getting HD files to play in Vista Media Center. I'm using ffdshow tryouts and it's looking OK so far.

I hope I can now incorporate the Nova HD S2 card in my media PC without messing up the Nova-T-500 which is working flawlessly.

Oh, and I have to put up my own quad LNB dish this weekend! :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good for you, i didn't think Media Centre would play HD files unless they were WMV. This is a good codec for the HD channels and has just been updated, i an using it and it seems fine. It's not free but has a trial, you could always give it a go.

http://www.coreavc.com/

Anyway have fun with your dish i was lucky i found the correct position in a few mins and all was up and running in no time.

So here is my DVB Viewer List of FTA Freesat Channels. Well not on some Freesat boxes as it seems at the moment you can't add none EPG channels.

Maybe some forum members would like to browse the list so i'll post it anyway.

Free To Air Channels (29th April)

http://www.davidmurray.adsl24.co.uk/ftachannels.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    Yes thanks. I'm experimenting with getting HD files to play in Vista Media Center. I'm using ffdshow tryouts and it's looking OK so far.

I hope I can now incorporate the Nova HD S2 card in my media PC without messing up the Nova-T-500 which is working flawlessly.

Oh, and I have to put up my own quad LNB dish this weekend! :eek:

I have exactly the same cards and there is no problems at all.. I use MCE to record DVB-T and Powercinema for DVB-S/S2...
    Powercinema is a bit more clunky than MCE.

Also I have PowerDVD 8 installed, this allows for Hardware Acceleration from your graphics card.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    How about the Baycom netceiver as fitted to the Reelbox Avantgarde? works flawlessly EPG is also work in progress!. :D

Best Regards
  • Options
    saiorse44saiorse44 Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    I also reccomend the use of the Technotrend S2-3200 with DVB Viewer. The PowerDVD 7 H.264 Edition that comes with it REALLY needs to have the latest patches for it from Cyberlink in order to get the best PQ out of it!
  • Options
    LakeukLakeuk Posts: 1,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So here is my DVB Viewer List of FTA Freesat Channels. Well not on some Freesat boxes as it seems at the moment you can't add none EPG channels.

Free To Air Channels (29th April)

http://www.davidmurray.adsl24.co.uk/ftachannels.jpg

How do you get the listing out of dvbviewer?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lakeuk wrote: »
    How do you get the listing out of dvbviewer?

PrintScreen command and Adobe Photoshop Lakeuk LOL :) (Using the Channel List)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just out of interest can anyone using windows Vista get the "Vista Enhanced Video Renderer" to work with the HD channels on their DVB-S cards?

It works fine on the SD channels and i really notice a huge improvement in picture quality, colours are so much richer, but on the HD channels it stutters no end, but the picture quality on the frames i can see is rather good.

It may be down to the CoreAVC H.264 codec, i'm not sure. Might give Win DVD and Power DVD H.264 codecs a try again.

So basically, has anyone got the Vista Enhanced Video Renderer to work with the HD channels and what software and codecs are you using. I just so much want the Vista renderer to work on the HD channels.

A couple of screen grabs. I'm sure you'll agree they aint too bad with the Vista renderer.

http://www.davidmurray.adsl24.co.uk/vista1.png

http://www.davidmurray.adsl24.co.uk/vista2.png

Thanks! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aha i just installed Power DVD again and tried it's H.264 codec and it works perfectly with the Vista Enhanced Video Renderer. So CoreAVC is out the window now LOL

A Happy Bunny. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well it does work with BBC HD and ITV HD but jerky with Luxe TV. Hmmmm weird. Oh well 2 out of 3 aint bad. :)
  • Options
    freesetfreeset Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    Well it does work with BBC HD and ITV HD but jerky with Luxe TV. Hmmmm weird. Oh well 2 out of 3 aint bad. :)

Why would anyone watch luxe HD for any reason? it baffles me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree, but it's there and I had to try it.

Just found it strange that it jerks while the other 2 dont.

Not complaining really as the main 2 are fine. :)
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    freeset wrote: »
    Why would anyone watch luxe HD for any reason? it baffles me.
    been thinking the same. It keeps gtting mentioned as if it is something of worth.

Its looks just another type of crappy shopping channel. They all get deleted from my DVB receiver.